Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 97, Clippers 104
Wow, that was diasppointing. Midway through the third I tought it "felt" like we were on the verge on winning. I absolutely don't understand why Rick went away from the twin towers and, more importantly, the zone. Maybe he feared thr Clippers would finally hit open shots? I mean we scrambled good so I realldy don't know what his rational was here.

Luka looked pretty passive the whole game tbh, I guess he is still bothered by the injury. Kawhi was a monster, like usually. The only good sign was that we did not get absolutely killed in those Luka-less-minutes. He even got reasonable rest in the first half (5.5 minutes iirc) but the 4th was a problem again so he had to come back after something like 2 minutes).

Our only hope is that Rick might change something rastic, again, and win the chess-match. But as of right now, Kawhi gets what he wants and is almost automatic while Luka made the right plays but the Clippers wanted this. They dared the others to beat them, which they failed to do. Luka has to be more aggressive driving the ball.
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 03:15 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Rick is feast and famine, isn't he?

So is Willie. Willie isn't garbage. He's just inconsistent. If he is hurting rather than helping, it's up to the coach to recognize that and pull him.

(06-05-2021, 03:50 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Rick commented on KP after the game.

"I love the way he's playing." 

Really? Rick went on to say how professional Kris has been about adjusting to the team strategy. It sounded more like Carlisle loves the fact that KP is no longer squawking all the time about accepting a greatly reduced role. 

Rick continued, saying that with Porzingis, it always comes down to the question of "getting him going," and whether that is the right thing for the team, considering the opponent lineup and the fact that they assign a difficult defender to him. Clearly, the implicit answer was no.

Maybe the best thing in this series is for KP to stand in the corner and not be involved in the offense. Maybe it isn't. Whatever. The team is limited in their options for Game Seven to the choices that exist today. 

But in the larger picture, when KP signed his extension, I cannot imagine that either the team or KP envisioned that his offensive role in playoff games would be to take seven shots and score seven points and get 5 rebounds, even if he does draw off a defender. Tha might have actually made a little sense in the situation when the defender he was drawing off was Kawhi, but now it's just a guy. 

Even if this is really the best option on the court for now, it seems like the Mavs are waving the white flag and pasting a massive "Epic Fail" label on the KP situation. The roster isn't built to withstand KP being an offensive zero. Many on the board have noted as the season went along that the Kristaps fit didn't seem to be heading in the right direction, but I didn't foresee it coming to this. 

I hope I am just over-reacting.

The whole KP thing is strange. It started in a game this season, with some issues off the court. And the problem has never been solved iMO.

Its interesting when you think about, that KP has been a huge factor, even last season, against the very same Clippers. Him going out, was a major reason why Clippers advanced. KP did not had a peripheral role at this stage. Why cant he play like that now?

Is it injury that prevents him now? To some degree it might. But then again, he seems to move well enough. But sometimes, it comes down to split seconds, whether you make the block or not. Or wheter you get the shot off or not, your shape.

Is it something mental? Could it be he doesnt like Luka being the main guy. This is speculations. Other personal issues. To me there must be some of these elements, as the way he spoke to media after that regular season game, there has been some off the court issues with KP, almost certainly. Rick Carlise mentioning the selfish play, not mentioning KP by name, but, between the lines that was meant for KP. KP also hasnt adressed the media well, hinting at some issues on several occasions. Again not directly, but definitely between the lines. Something must be going on for sure.

If he plays like KP in game 7, this is a major dealbreaker, and Mavs will advance. It just doesnt seem likely right now, he will have a game like that. But hoping we see the old KP.
Like Reply
I want to rewatch the game from last season playoffs against Clippers, where KP played well. How was he used there? Why cant we do that now? Maybe RC should also rewatch that game. And KP should also watch it as well.
Like Reply

Really? Rick went on to say how professional Kris has been about adjusting to the team strategy. It sounded more like Carlisle loves the fact that KP is no longer squawking all the time about accepting a greatly reduced role. 

Rick continued, saying that with Porzingis, it always comes down to the question of "getting him going," and whether that is the right thing for the team, considering the opponent lineup and the fact that they assign a difficult defender to him. Clearly, the implicit answer was no.

Maybe the best thing in this series is for KP to stand in the corner and not be involved in the offense. Maybe it isn't. Whatever. The team is limited in their options for Game Seven to the choices that exist today. 

But in the larger picture, when KP signed his extension, I cannot imagine that either the team or KP envisioned that his offensive role in playoff games would be to take seven shots and score seven points and get 5 rebounds, even if he does draw off a defender. Tha might have actually made a little sense in the situation when the defender he was drawing off was Kawhi, but now it's just a guy. 

Even if this is really the best option on the court for now, it seems like the Mavs are waving the white flag and pasting a massive "Epic Fail" label on the KP situation. The roster isn't built to withstand KP being an offensive zero. Many on the board have noted as the season went along that the Kristaps fit didn't seem to be heading in the right direction, but I didn't foresee it coming to this. 

He played 30 minutes in a playoff game. He’s 7 inches taller than all the clippers players. And only 5 rebounds. None of that really has much to do with what happened on the offensive end
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 04:16 PM)burekemde Wrote: I want to rewatch the game from last season playoffs against Clippers, where KP played well. How was he used there? Why cant we do that now? Maybe RC should also rewatch that game. And KP should also watch it as well.

It would be interesting to rewatch that, although I probably won't, lol. If you decide to, maybe you could clue us in on any insights you get. 

I actually get that Carlisle is done with trying to post KP up, force the ball into him, and the like. But guys who can score from anywhere and move off the ball can be useful in many ways that don't involve any departure from the flow offense. 

KP can still shoot threes, but got only three attempts. He can and does still get open, but is routinely looked off, even at the expense of having another player take a more difficult shot. I don't know if that is intentional (believing he will only screw up an opportunity), or just a failure to distribute optimally in the moment. I presume the latter, but who knows?

Ideally, he would be 20 and 10 or better in every game. Maybe that's not realistic, but if there is any way they can get more out of him, it seems like that has more potential upside than trying to squeeze a few more points out of Doe-Doe, J Rich, and the like. 

SMH.
Like Reply

But in the larger picture, when KP signed his extension, I cannot imagine that either the team or KP envisioned that his offensive role in playoff games would be to take seven shots and score seven points and get 5 rebounds, even if he does draw off a defender. That might have actually made a little sense in the situation when the defender he was drawing off was Kawhi, but now it's just a guy. 

You're not overreacting. You are nailing the truth that is revealing itself after about five months of trying to hide itself.
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 04:30 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: He played 30 minutes in a playoff game. He’s 7 inches taller than all the clippers players. And only 5 rebounds. None of that really has much to do with what happened on the offensive end

Not sure what point you are making, JT. It sounds like you are saying that the problem with KP is lack of rebounding, not his contribution to the offense. 

Yes, his rebounding should be better, although it's harder to grab those from the corner. 

I also think he should be contributing more to the scoring total. Not sure exactly where else the Mavs have to look for that on any reliable basis.
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 04:40 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I actually get that Carlisle is done with trying to post KP up, force the ball into him, and the like.

Absolutely. 

It truly seems to me the sides have all come to an agreement about "what is next" and they are peacefully coexisting while they await those changes. 

I am 100% convinced that all sides know this is over this summer. I am pretty confident the sides also know "how" exactly it is going to unfold this summer.
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 04:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Absolutely. 

It truly seems to me the sides have all come to an agreement about "what is next" and they are peacefully coexisting while they await those changes. 

I am 100% convinced that all sides know this is over this summer. I am pretty confident the sides also know "how" exactly it is going to unfold this summer.

I am a true beleiver of this theory. This law actually explains all the observed strange phenomenons. Kammraths first law of KP's Motion. He is traded this offseason.
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 04:30 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: He played 30 minutes in a playoff game. He’s 7 inches taller than all the clippers players. And only 5 rebounds. None of that really has much to do with what happened on the offensive end

He was often guarding a guy on the perimeter. How should he get many rebounds then?

KP can be the key to winning this series though. He is a guy who can go very hot or cold. Let's just give him some more good looks and see which KP we get in game 7. A hot KP plus Luka driving and attacking more, plus THJ 20 pts and Boban easy baskets under the rim would probably mean the Mavs advance to the second round.
Like Reply

Around the trade deadline, it was widely reported that the Mavericks had made some discreet inquiries about finding a new home for KP. The idea that the inquiries were made at the request of KP's camp was very low-key reported as having been quietly leaked to selected outlets. I suspect that the leaks, if they indeed occurred, came from the Mavs, although they could have been from KP's representatives, or even from both. 

KP has not been shy about indicating his dissatisfaction with his role. He also has been semi-open with his attitude issues. Hanging out at the strip club and coming close to a suspension in the middle of the playoffs was pretty much a middle finger to the team, imho, despite his statement that he was "confused" about the rules. He's not a young boy anymore, and surely knew better. 

I would believe that he is just biding his time until his stint with the Mavericks is over. I am less convinced that he or the team knows exactly how that will shake out, or even for certain IF it will transpire, but I guess anything is possible. 

Having said all that, it seems that it could only be in the interest of both the team and Porzingis to have KP contribute as much as possible in the playoff run. This is a very weird situation.
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 07:20 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Such a golden opportunity. The Clippers came in here and pretty much laid an egg outside of Kawhi and a great first quarter from Jackson.  Down the stretch, the Mavs let the only serious threat they faced beat them.  They didn’t even try to trick up the defense.  In contrast, the Clippers threw every defensive look available at Luka. When they go back to LA, PG and the rest of the Clippers supporting cast will be much better. I doubt that the Mavs will get another chance to win this series by just playing a solid game. They’ll have to come up with one of the greatest games in franchise history. Victory would be a shock.

A squandered opportunity, and I'm sure they all know it. Don't know if you caught Luka's post-game interview, but he looked about as crushed as I've ever seen him. 

I was very puzzled that the Mavs didn't make more of an effort to take the ball out of Kawhi's hands.  I realize that double-teaming has its own risks, but he was absolutely destroying them, and it is hard to imagine the alternative would have been worse. It's not like he suddenly came on strong in the last few minutes and they weren't prepared for it, or anything. 

Some head scratchers in this one.
Like Reply

This would for sure explain a lot and I can't discount it at all. Wonder if there is a chance that the trade partner said the deal is off if he gets injured in the playoffs too. Would explain why he's camped out in the corner and not as active. However, it is conspiracy theory, so who knows?

But in the larger picture, when KP signed his extension, I cannot imagine that either the team or KP envisioned that his offensive role in playoff games would be to take seven shots and score seven points and get 5 rebounds, even if he does draw off a defender. That might have actually made a little sense in the situation when the defender he was drawing off was Kawhi, but now it's just a guy. 

I love me some Leery and pissed DLord, and I love it from you too mavsluvr! Wait....are you DLo...??????? Nooooo. Can't be!
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 06:36 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This would for sure explain a lot and I can't discount it at all. Wonder if there is a chance that the trade partner said the deal is off if he gets injured in the playoffs too. Would explain why he's camped out in the corner and not as active. However, it is conspiracy theory, so who knows?

I love me some Leery and pissed DLord, and I love it from you too mavsluvr! Wait....are you DLo...??????? Nooooo. Can't be!

No. Can't be. LOL.
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 05:33 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Around the trade deadline, it was widely reported that the Mavericks had made some discreet inquiries about finding a new home for KP. The idea that the inquiries were made at the request of KP's camp was very low-key reported as having been quietly leaked to selected outlets. I suspect that the leaks, if they indeed occurred, came from the Mavs, although they could have been from KP's representatives, or even from both. 

KP has not been shy about indicating his dissatisfaction with his role. He also has been semi-open with his attitude issues. Hanging out at the strip club and coming close to a suspension in the middle of the playoffs was pretty much a middle finger to the team, imho, despite his statement that he was "confused" about the rules. He's not a young boy anymore, and surely knew better. 

I would believe that he is just biding his time until his stint with the Mavericks is over. I am less convinced that he or the team knows exactly how that will shake out, or even for certain IF it will transpire, but I guess anything is possible. 

Having said all that, it seems that it could only be in the interest of both the team and Porzingis to have KP contribute as much as possible in the playoff run. This is a very weird situation.

Great thoughts.

I also think it SEEMS unlikely that they would know the "how" of things this summer....but their behavior just points me to that over and over (its nagging and I cannot make it go away). Like the Mavs and some other team came to a skeleton type of deal as early as the TDL and decided that a draft day or next NBA calendar year deal would work best for both sides. Of course something like that can easily fall through....I think the other option is the Mavs KNOW they have 3-4 possible deals that they can choose from and don't feel the need to inflate KP's value but to only keep him healthy.
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 11:31 AM)Time Machine Dirk Wrote: 1. Why weren't the Mavs double teaming Kawhi like in game 5?
2. Why didn't Bobi play in the 4th quarter? Why no twin towers? That is the strategy which bothers the Clippers the most.
3. Why didn't Powell play except 2-3 minutes or so?
4. Why doesn't Porzingis get more 3s or midrange jumpshots? He should basically have free sight on the basket being so much taller than all the Clippers.
5. Where is KP's bankshot from last year's bubble?
6. Why doesn't Doncic drive to the basket anymore? Too many post-up fadaways and bad 3s which wasn't effective yesterday. Is he tired?
7. What is wrong with the Refs not giving Luka ANY CALLS and not seeing obvious things like the out of bounds play with Maxi Kleber and Paul George?
8. Why did the Clippers get 28 FT and the Mavs only 14 while shooting 43 FGA in the paint?
9. Why didn't Rick Carlisle challenge the Boban offensive foul against Morris or the the out of bounds play with Kleber?

I'm p*** about all of this.
1) they tried. Clippers ball movement was very good and Reggie Jackson hit everything in the 1st half. Thus they went away from it, which I also think was not a good idea.
2) Boban was a good idea to break up the Clippers' rhythm, but certainly is a net negative.(for numbers check bballbreakdown twitter)
3) foul trouble. But yeah, he should have played more. 
4) that's easy. He can't hit anything shooting over guards. His balance is atrocious, even with the slightest pressure applied. Also he can't put it on the floor and post up at all.
5) Same thing. No core stability, no balance. Just physically a totally different player. 
6)when he settles, he's tired. He was gassed. Not a world class athlete from a physical standpoint and too much is asked from him within this iterarion of the Mavs
7) refs were awful last night. But missed many calls against Kawhi too. Overall I agree Mavs suffered more from it. 
8) See 7
9) He thought it might come down to crunch time and I agree with preserving the challenge for that. League should give another challenge after the first was successful.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 02:45 AM)Thukydides Wrote: 9) He thought it might come down to crunch time and I agree with preserving the challenge for that. League should give another challenge after the first was successful
I agree. Charge it as a time out (and make the refs make a freakin decision within that timeframe), you get that many successful challenges or timely time outs.
Like Reply
(06-05-2021, 04:16 PM)burekemde Wrote: I want to rewatch the game from last season playoffs against Clippers, where KP played well. How was he used there? Why cant we do that now? Maybe RC should also rewatch that game. And KP should also watch it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Q6cH_RqG8&list=PLmmHTpU8cbnNu7ygPwLWn1gC3-CMBsZm4&index=120

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzoBs8LNgJM&list=PLmmHTpU8cbnNu7ygPwLWn1gC3-CMBsZm4&index=122

KP is just involved more. There's just more movement in general there in our offense. RC seems to have gone Luka only this year. And by that I mean Luka does everything. 

Luka already never really prioritized KP in his reads so I guess we're seeing that amplified. It 100% falls on the coach.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 03:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: KP is just involved more. There's just more movement in general there in our offense. RC seems to have gone Luka only this year. And by that I mean Luka does everything. 

Luka already never really prioritized KP in his reads so I guess we're seeing that amplified. It 100% falls on the coach.

Notice a lot of KP's scoring came against Zubac.  In game six LAC didn't play Zubac when Luka was on the floor.  Dallas didn't play KP when Luka wasn't on the floor.  Seems to me we are playing into LA's hands by letting Zubac beast on Maxi and Powell when we could be forcing him to the perimeter to guard KP.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 03:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Q6cH_RqG8&list=PLmmHTpU8cbnNu7ygPwLWn1gC3-CMBsZm4&index=120

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzoBs8LNgJM&list=PLmmHTpU8cbnNu7ygPwLWn1gC3-CMBsZm4&index=122

KP is just involved more. There's just more movement in general there in our offense. RC seems to have gone Luka only this year. And by that I mean Luka does everything. 

Thanks for finding this SH. I think its crucial to look at. There should be no doubt that it is game over for Clippers if KP plays like that. I agree the offense should have more flow. I have even wondered that it should not start with Luka but progress and end with Luka. For instance in the post. This way doubling him would become ineffective. Furthermore it would ensure that others run the offense initially and score if opportunity and good look opens up. For instance i would not mind seeing thj or jrich bring the ball up get a pick and roll from KP and make a mid ranger if open. And if not and defenders do well pass it to Luka that would see a single team. Once Luka has the ball in post doubling is nearly impossible.
Like Reply