Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play-in game thread 2: SA @Mem, GS @LAL
I have nothing against midrange shots, when they're good, but I'm telling you guys, the fact that the defense KNOWS DeRozan doesn't have a pull-up 3 (or even a catch and shoot 3) in his arsenal makes him much easier to guard than the other stars, nowadays.

He's just a dinosaur. He's one of the smartest dinosaurs, because he has survived the meteor impact for longer than most, but he can't take over games like this.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 08:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This turned into a good, throwback style game. Spurs just can't quite get over the hump.

Sounds strange but I absolutely love low scoring grit and grind games.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 08:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: His handles are better, yes. His basketball IQ is WAY lower, imo, however. I actually think THJ plays it safe on what he attempts, which is contrary to your conclusions from the post earlier. I think he falls back on those contested 3's because he feels more confident about them not being a negative play, but I don't think that means he CAN'T handle. Make sense? Just my sense, after watching him for two years. He NEVER drove the first season. I think he's going to mix in more and more as he gets more comfortable in the system here. 

You could say the same (last sentence) about Richardson, and I think he's pretty GOOD at moving from one spot to another with the ball, but...idk, man. He just doesn't seem to understand what to do with it afterwards. But the biggest disappointment for me with him is his defense. I don't even think he's a GOOD defender. Maybe that has to do with physical problems he's having, not sure. I do know he spoke earlier about his legs almost never feeling good this year.

Agree that THJ has immensely added to his game since last season. The buzz in the offseason was that the Mavs took THJ aside and told him what they wanted from him this season in terms of role. They wanted him to be a guy who could score quickly from all spots on the court, and in a variety of ways. Specifically, they didn't want him to just be a catch-and-shoot guy. I think he has made a huge amount of progress in developing variety in his offensive game. 

One could argue that it isn't really fair for the Mavs to expect THJ to be the second or third option, given that he isn't as consistent as one would hope for a player with that major a role. But that's where we are. It's not like anyone else has stepped up to that degree. 

Maybe Josh Richardson would click with the Mavs if he had an offseason and a training camp and a preseason and a new start. At least the fit might get a little more comfortable. But I don't think his defense has been particularly good. Not terrible or anything. But nothing to write home about. And offensively, I agree that when he gets the ball, he often doesn't seem to know what to do with it. Dribbles around and surveys the action in point-guard style, and then takes a contested shot or turns the ball over. Yikes.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 09:01 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Sounds strange but I absolutely love low scoring grit and grind games.

I do, too. In particular, I like games played like this, but with great ball-movement and more efficient shooting. Kind of like the 2011 Mavs, coincidentally (or maybe not) enough.
Like Reply
5/21 in the most important game of the season. #Not my free agent target
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 08:59 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Kyle Anderson is everything James Johnson was supposed to be. Smart and versatile defender. Underrated playmaker. Can make a wide open three.  Quick reminder that this smart poster proposed multiple Delon Wright for Anderson trades.
Good call.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 08:31 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I can't, either.
Looking at him more, I think it mostly has to do with his hair. It's neither a mohawk or a fro. Committing to one or the other would do wonders for him!
Like Reply
Time for the main event...
Like Reply
Pop can retire now.
Like Reply
Time to see if the defending champs have another gear or not.

lol, they're starting Drummond. #doomed
Like Reply
I love Draymond Green. I know he's 75% knucklehead, but I love him.
Like Reply
Wiggins turned into a legit good starter. Wonder how much more he has left in the tank in terms of development.
Like Reply
Does the Laker start look similar to a certain favorite team.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 09:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I love Draymond Green. I know he's 75% knucklehead, but I love him.

Not fair. You dislike Smart and he is basically the guard version of Draymond.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 09:20 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not fair. You dislike Smart and he is basically the guard version of Draymond.
He just hates Flower Mound.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 09:20 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not fair. You dislike Smart and he is basically the guard version of Draymond.

Nah
Like Reply
Wiggins blocks LBJ!
Like Reply
Hot take...Wiggins for KP.
Like Reply
Did Andrew Suckins just punk Lebron James????
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 09:23 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Hot take...Wiggins for KP.
He is an upgrade to DFS.  Angel

Just backing away now.
Like Reply