Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play-in game thread 2: SA @Mem, GS @LAL
(05-19-2021, 08:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: 2 things:

1) I think Luka's mid-range game is INCREDIBLE. Since he's the guy with the ball, that's enough, imo. Now, he needs to go to those moves more often, imo, and he needs to look for his shot more in general, I think.

2) THJ's midrange pull-up game isn't JET level yet, but I'm shocked more people haven't noticed how much more he has productively put the ball on the floor this season. He's one of the better drivers on the team this year, and that surprises even me.
THJ is really good at the 3 shot and the 3 pump fake 1 dribble long 2 shot. I'm talking about the amount of times they use those plays, not how good they are. One of the things I don't like about THJ is he really gets flustered when he's not in his perfect spots and has a defender on him. If he has a wide open lane to the basket, he takes it, but if a big defender gets close, I've seen too much fumbling/less confidence in the shot. So many layups that go hard off the glass and don't go in.

Really good defense there from JJJ
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 08:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If he has a wide open lane to the basket, he takes it, but if a big defender gets close, I've seen too much fumbling/less confidence in the shot. So many layups that go hard off the glass and don't go in.

I'll have to disagree about the missing layups part. I haven't noticed that (I'll keep my eyes open though). I DO agree that he only drives when there's an easy lane, and I DO think he gets frustrated and settles for contested threes too often when the initial action doesn't result in an open one. Every player has weaknesses. I just think he does stuff that's not as easy to replace as people believe. EITHER of the teams we're watching right now would LOVE to have him, I'd wager.

FURTHER, everyone here told me THJ would regress this year, and not only did he shoot well again, it seems from my seat that he ADDED elements to his offensive game that weren't there last year. What if he can do that again?

Spurs staying in this thing, but can't quite get over the hump.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 08:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Every player has weaknesses.
Wish this thought applied to other Mavs.  Angel

(05-19-2021, 08:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I DO agree that he only drives when there's an easy lane, and I DO think he gets frustrated and settles for contested threes too often when the initial action doesn't result in an open one.
I think this is a big part of the problem with his handles. If he was good with the ball in his hands, he could get to a spot that was familiar for him with a defender on him. Because he isn't really good, he gets flustered and takes the dribble back to create the spacing needed, then takes the shot. A rythm dribble is great for him, the panic dribble isn't.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 08:16 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Wish this thought applied to other Mavs.

It DOES! All of them.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 08:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Spurs staying in this thing, but can't quite get over the hump.

Of course they can´t. Down after the first quarter...remember?
Like Reply
Weak ass call on Brooks there.
Like Reply
Ya, Brooks is a good player, D and O. He's the kind of guy that would be great next to Luka. I just can't stand his face!

Jonas is having a great game too.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 08:25 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I just can't stand his face!

I can't, either. 

Question: would he work next to Luka? We've seen them try Wright and now Richardson. Are those guys just not good enough examples of a player type, or does that player type just not fit as well as we think? I was having a similar internal dialogue earlier imagining Murray next to Luka.
Like Reply
Ugh, this is making me wish the Mavs had gone after Dieng in the buyout market. Who knows, maybe they did.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 08:31 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I can't, either. 

Question: would he work next to Luka? We've seen them try Wright and now Richardson. Are those guys just not good enough examples of a player type, or does that player type just not fit as well as we think? I was having a similar internal dialogue earlier imagining Murray next to Luka.
Man, on paper it works like a glove. I will say, not sure Wright had the D, but had the handles and he wanted more control of the ball. JRich has better D IMO, but doesn't have the handles. He's a little better than THJ with the ball in his hands IMO. I have to think we haven't gotten a guy of Brooks caliber on the team yet.
Like Reply
[Image: giphy.gif]

Spurs on the mediocrity treadmill.  I can't wait for years of meh.  Smile
Like Reply
They better not let Mills get hot.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 08:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ugh, this is making me wish the Mavs had gone after Dieng in the buyout market. Who knows, maybe they did.

Only hope for the Spurs. They cannot match Valanciunas in the paint. Might as well try to force him out of his comfort with a more mobile big.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 08:38 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: He's a little better than THJ with the ball in his hands IMO.

His handles are better, yes. His basketball IQ is WAY lower, imo, however. I actually think THJ plays it safe on what he attempts, which is contrary to your conclusions from the post earlier. I think he falls back on those contested 3's because he feels more confident about them not being a negative play, but I don't think that means he CAN'T handle. Make sense? Just my sense, after watching him for two years. He NEVER drove the first season. I think he's going to mix in more and more as he gets more comfortable in the system here. 

You could say the same (last sentence) about Richardson, and I think he's pretty GOOD at moving from one spot to another with the ball, but...idk, man. He just doesn't seem to understand what to do with it afterwards. But the biggest disappointment for me with him is his defense. I don't even think he's a GOOD defender. Maybe that has to do with physical problems he's having, not sure. I do know he spoke earlier about his legs almost never feeling good this year.
Like Reply
Ugh, Dillon Brooks and his stupid face with the easy left hand drive.
Like Reply
Looking at the Grizzlies bench. Winslow could be a cheap reclamation project in the offseason. He looked like the next great defensive wing and wasn´t a negative on offense. Now he cannot even get on the floor in the most important game of the season.
Like Reply
(05-19-2021, 08:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think he falls back on those contested 3's because he feels more confident about them not being a negative play, but I don't think that means he CAN'T handle. Make sense?
Hmmm, I think we'll have to disagree on this for now and I'll watch for it more going forward like you are. As far as taking a 3 as opposed to dribbling for a better shot? I think that is direction from the coach not liking non layup 2 shots. Well, maybe not direction, just a mindset he's put in the team's heads if that makes sense.
Like Reply
This Mem team is as scrappy as I wish our team was.
Like Reply
This turned into a good, throwback style game. Spurs just can't quite get over the hump.
Like Reply
Kyle Anderson is everything James Johnson was supposed to be. Smart and versatile defender. Underrated playmaker. Can make a wide open three.  Quick reminder that this smart poster proposed multiple Delon Wright for Anderson trades.
Like Reply