Poll: Who will develop into a core starter?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Brunson
36.84%
14 36.84%
Wright
31.58%
12 31.58%
Jackson
5.26%
2 5.26%
Powell
7.89%
3 7.89%
More than one of above
5.26%
2 5.26%
Other
13.16%
5 13.16%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's number 3?
It's been said the Mavs will have a very deep bench this year. Trouble is, three of those bench players will have to start. 

One of the most interesting things to watch this year:

Who is most likely to develop into a core high-level NBA starter next to Doncic & Porzingis? 

Brunson - Closed his rookie season strong, with better numbers than DSJ. Extremely skilled and mature with high BBIQ. But lack length, speed and overall athleticism limits his upside. Brunson will never be a superstar. But is he a high level starter? Or is he JJB 2.0?

Wright - Carlisle is on record: the Mavs are confident Wright is an NBA starter. He's a strong defender and plus rebounder, but he can't shoot or space the floor. Does Carlisle mean Wright can be a starter on a contender? Or is he a starter on a lottery team?

Jackson - Jackson models his game after George Gervin, and there are some similarities to his floater game; and Cuban has said JJ is being overlooked for his ability to impact the game at both ends. But JJ himself can often seem to just float. Is he a high impact starting SF? Or low impact finesse small ball 4?

Powell - Powell has been one of the most efficient backup centers in the NBA for several seasons but he closed last season strong in a starting role. He's clearly elite at one thing -- rim rolling. But he's clearly lacking in shooting, shot blocking, rebounding and size. The center position has changed drastically but this league still has some aircraft carriers like Jokic, Gobert, Embiid, Ayton, KAT, Drummond - not to mention strong traditional PFs like Aldridge. Can this team contend with Powell starting? Or is he an elite backup?
Like Reply
Brunson is who I think will be our 3rd best contributor this season...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Wow, 2 hours after I posted the poll, the Mavs announce the starting lineup and THREE of the original four from the poll aren't starting (Powell out due to injury). Here's the lineup and new addition to the poll

PG Doncic
SG Wright
SF Finney-Smith
PF Porzingis
C Kleber

Finney-Smith Started 35 games as a rookie which is saying something. That was a much different team but it was a veteran squad (Deron Williams, Matthews, Barnes, Bogut) with playoff hopes. DFS brings everything to the table that Jackson doesn't. His contributions don't often show up in the boxscore but Cuban has hinted at advanced analytics that include metrics to measure things like hustle, deflections, style of play and toughness. DFS is a strong, versatile defender and plus offensive rebounder, but a poor shooter. Is he the type of dirty work beast every starting lineup needs? Or a classic 3&D wing who can't shoot.
Like Reply
(10-22-2019, 01:28 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Wow, 2 hours after I posted the poll, the Mavs announce the starting lineup and THREE of the original four from the poll aren't starting (Powell out due to injury). Here's the lineup and new addition to the poll

PG Doncic
SG Wright
SF Finney-Smith
PF Porzingis
C Kleber

Finney-Smith Started 35 games as a rookie which is saying something. That was a much different team but it was a veteran squad (Deron Williams, Matthews, Barnes, Bogut) with playoff hopes. DFS brings everything to the table that Jackson doesn't. His contributions don't often show up in the boxscore but Cuban has hinted at advanced analytics that include metrics to measure things like hustle, deflections, style of play and toughness. DFS is a strong, versatile defender and plus offensive rebounder, but a poor shooter. Is he the type of dirty work beast every starting lineup needs? Or a classic 3&D wing who can't shoot.
I voted for Wright in the Poll, and I like DFS starting with Kleber.  I would imagine that RC will go with more of a shooter when DP comes back though...  For now, I like starting the game out with a stronger defensive look and let Luka/KP handle the scoring.
Like Reply
[Image: antonius-cleveland-of-the-dallas-maveric...?s=612x612]
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(10-22-2019, 09:15 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: It's been said the Mavs will have a very deep bench this year. Trouble is, three of those bench players will have to start. 

I have been saying in multiple places that there is an incredible series of opportunities for our guys to elevate their careers. The three starting spots on what should become a very good team over the next two years would be a significant improvement for all of the guys we are talking about yet we have several guys who might just do it. I think the starting lineups will be very fluid until this starts to shake itself out. Rick will also probably play opponent line up dependent lineups as well. (Boban might start against beefy slower centers for example). 

There are also opportunities for consistent rotation players, for closing lineups, for occasional starter, for young guys getting their first significant minutes......so much to watch for and get excited about. 

I think several of our guys are here precisely because we gave them good money but even greater opportunity to become a higher level guy. Wright, Curry and Kleber come to mind. Jackson hasn't been paid yet but this is by far his best opportunity. Powell will absolutely be a rotation guy and probably worth his money but going well above that is his opportunity. Even Tim Hardaway has opportunity to earn his next contract though it will certainly be a lower one. For us, he can improve his trade value. Finally, all of our young guys, led by Brunson and DFS, have opportunities to beat out higher paid guys and move up the totem pole. 

Final note: Even JJ Barea has opportunity to show he can still be one of our very best players and lead the bench mob. It would be shocking to see but I don't put anything past our one guy who has a ring!
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
Depends if you mean 3rd best player or 3rd option.  I think Kleber is the 3rd best player.  And as much as I love Maxi, that's what tempers my expectation for this team.  Brunson, THJ, or even Barea might be the 3rd option on offense.
Like Reply
Brunson is just so good he is hard to sit.
Like Reply
(10-22-2019, 09:15 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Brunson - Closed his rookie season strong, with better numbers than DSJ. Extremely skilled and mature with high BBIQ. But lack length, speed and overall athleticism limits his upside. Brunson will never be a superstar. But is he a high level starter? Or is he JJB 2.0?

Brunson has already showed he has a very high BBIQ, so I expect him to play a lot. He has much better size than JJB. If he proves that he has the heart, grit, and toughness of JJB, I think that is his floor. His ceiling could be much higher! I think he is most likely to be #3 option and 3rd best player on the team.
Like Reply
A take on this exact topic from Sefko ...

https://www.mavs.com/200091-2/
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 08:35 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: A take on this exact topic from Sefko ...

https://www.mavs.com/200091-2/

I currently like option 4
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 08:59 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I currently like option 4

Yep, I am of the opinion that the Mavs just need REALLY good chemistry and fit surrounding Luka and KP and not aim for anything more that could disrupt that chemistry. 

Obviously be "opportunistic" though if something presents itself.
Like Reply
I think we'll know something of Carlisle's intentions after 5 games. I'll be watching minutes distribution, particularly anyone not named Doncic or Porzingis who gets more than 28 minutes . This is a deep roster with 12 rotation caliber players. Blowouts notwithstanding, if Carlisle gives relatively even playing time I think we can safely assume literally all options are on the table. But I think Carlisle has a plan, we just don't yet know what it is. 

Last season only 3 players averaged more than 30 MPG: Doncic, Barnes and DAJ.

Next group averaged between 28-30 min: DSJ, Matthews and THJ.

----

This year only Doncic and Porzingis will average 32+ MPG.

Based on the announced starting lineup - and setting over/under on "starter minutes" - I'm changing my vote for "third starter" to Wright who will average 29-30 MPG over the first 10 games.

Next you'll see a 20-24 MPG tier including: Brunson, THJ, Barea, DFS, Powell, Kleber

Last 10-20 spot MPG (and some DNP-CD) will go to: Curry, Jackson, and Boban
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 10:48 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Last 10-20 spot MPG (and some DNP-CD) will go to: Curry, Jackson, and Boban

We paid Curry how much to be in that tier?
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 10:54 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: We paid Curry how much to be in that tier?

I don't think Curry is on that tier

But, V brings up a significant talking point: It's hard to see how JJB, Brunson, Curry and THJ all get every day rotation minutes.
Like Reply
Curry is a rotation player but I'd be shocked if he averages more than 19 mpg. This team has too much depth. 

Even JJ averaged less than 20 mpg last year, so I could easily see him on this 10-20 mpg tier as well.

+32 min: Doncic, Porzingis

+28 min: Wright

20-24 min: Powell, Kleber, DFS, Brunson, THJ

DNP-CD - 20 min: Barea, Curry, Jackson, Boban

Be ready: Lee, Roby, Ryan from Accounting
Like Reply
I think they have a 10 man everyday rotation, but I have no idea what to do with JJB. Before preseason I figured he and Boban would be the spot duty guys. But now I don't  know.

I really think Brunson should be the guy who is always on the court when Luka is off, which in my mind, cuts JJB's role by quite a bit. 

But I view Curry as not tied to that conundrum. I don't think he'll start but I think he'll be in the finishing 5 many (maybe most) nights. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get 22-24 per night. 

There is definitely a log jam. It may be two separate log jams: How do you get both JB and JJB minutes? How do you get Curry and THJ both minutes? I don't know but I believe that Seth gets his.
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 01:19 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Curry is a rotation player but I'd be shocked if he averages more than 19 mpg. This team has too much depth. 

Even JJ averaged less than 20 mpg last year, so I could easily see him on this 10-20 mpg tier as well.

+32 min: Doncic, Porzingis

+28 min: Wright

20-24 min: Powell, Kleber, DFS, Brunson, THJ

DNP-CD - 20 min: Barea, Curry, Jackson, Boban

Be ready: Lee, Roby, Ryan from Accounting

I'm going to be horribly disappointed if Seth doesn't get closer to 25 mpg a night. We really need his shooting. 
I see DFS losing a lot of his minutes when Powell is back.
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 02:45 PM)Jym Wrote: I'm going to be horribly disappointed if Seth doesn't get closer to 25 mpg a night. We really need his shooting. 

THIS, THIS. I just hope the Mavs were resting him in the preseason.....we'll see pretty quick....
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 02:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 02:45 PM)Jym Wrote: I'm going to be horribly disappointed if Seth doesn't get closer to 25 mpg a night. We really need his shooting. 

THIS, THIS. I just hope the Mavs were resting him in the preseason.....we'll see pretty quick....

Yeah we'll see what Rick does but itd be hard to keep him out of my closing lineup 
Even if that means KP is the only big
Like Reply