Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Delon
86.96%
40 86.96%
Seth
0%
0 0%
Justin
0%
0 0%
Maxi
0%
0 0%
DFS
0%
0 0%
THJ
0%
0 0%
Jalen
0%
0 0%
Lee
0%
0 0%
Luka
10.87%
5 10.87%
KP
2.17%
1 2.17%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 2 DIRKIE: Delon Wright
Came close to voting for Delon, but I remember who this award is named for. Luka did superstar things tonight, triple double and the dagger. I'm not voting Dirkies just because someone was a badly needed third option, this award was named for a bad, bad man
Like Reply
(10-26-2019, 12:08 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Came close to voting for Delon, but I remember who this award is named for. Luka did superstar things tonight, triple double and the dagger. I'm not voting Dirkies just because someone was a badly needed third option, this award was named for a bad, bad man

This award was not named for Dirk...
Like Reply
(10-26-2019, 12:34 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(10-26-2019, 12:08 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Came close to voting for Delon, but I remember who this award is named for. Luka did superstar things tonight, triple double and the dagger. I'm not voting Dirkies just because someone was a badly needed third option, this award was named for a bad, bad man

This award was not named for Dirk...
The first four letters sure seem to indicate so. Who is it named for then?
Like Reply
Couldn't watch this game live but just finished it and OH MY GOODNESS WHAT A GAME!

Luka, KP, Wright, and Curry had monster games. 

Kristaps was brilliant. His shooting is great, but his interior defense was something else. When was the last time a Maverick had 5 blocks AND 20+ points?? 

Luka is ridiculous. I have to give the Dirkie to him because of him icing the game with that incredible step back bank 3. Plus a 25 point triple double? This dude is insane. The passes he threw tonight were some of the best I've seen in a long time.

Wright was definitely the 3rd best player. If he can do just half of what he did tonight every game, he's the bonafide 3rd best player. His defense was a turning point. He didn't shoot basically at all from the outside, which makes his 20 point night even more impressive, but that's his greatest weakness. Nonetheless his defense, especially his timely steals was the X-factor this game.

I want Curry to get quite literally all of THJ's and Lee's minutes.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-26-2019, 03:01 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Kristaps was brilliant. His shooting is great, but his interior defense was something else. When was the last time a Maverick had 5 blocks AND 20+ points?? 

Dirk 2009 against Utah. 40/11/5/5/2. Only Mav to ever do it.
Like Reply
(10-26-2019, 01:38 AM)MrGoat Wrote: The first four letters sure seem to indicate so. Who is it named for then?

I'll let Mak's words in the Dirkie setup thread explain it to you since it was already said.

Quote:For what its worth, the original “Dirkie” was actually meant to recognize exactly the type of player you’re describing — the most underrated / overperforming player of the night.

Dirk would almost always be the ‘player of the game’ and he was obviously the clear-cut #1 player over the course of the season for the team — so the Dirk-ie was created to recognize whoever stepped up to be Dirk’s “Dirkie” on any given night, which would be a different player all the time. At some point tho people just started voting for the best player overall tho. 

Hopefully this was Wright's coming out to play party! What a game for the guy! 

If that second quarter happens again with these guys, I'm willing to say it's a budding trend. Edit: 38 pts vs Wash, 45 pts last night.

Not sure Lee is the right starter, although, it just seems like it's forced upon RC. I guess he did do pretty well on Beal, so there's that.

Saw at least a few plays where Curry was getting after it on D, I really like that.

JJ puts me to sleep with his lethargic style. He's good, it's just one of those weird things to me.

Loved the 5 blocks to go with 24 points, I saw a few more plays where he could have at least challenged a few more layups and dunks. I wonder what made him go after that Favors dunk and not the rest (I get it....foul trouble). 

First triple double of the season to go with 25 points! In game 2! Love it!

The hype train has a chance to be realized if Zion can come in and do what he did in pre-season. Although, I think he'll probably push Favors to the bench which against our team, we could probably only handle the 1 bruiser at a time.

Enjoyed this game more than the last, hopefully that continues!
Like Reply
#DiamondDelon
Like Reply
Would like to see the same performance from DW when he is a starter.
Long time Mavs Fan from Turkey who wakes up in the middle of the night to watch the Mavs games.
Like Reply
(10-26-2019, 04:26 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(10-26-2019, 03:01 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Kristaps was brilliant. His shooting is great, but his interior defense was something else. When was the last time a Maverick had 5 blocks AND 20+ points?? 

Dirk 2009 against Utah. 40/11/5/5/2. Only Mav to ever do it.
Holy... 

Well Kristaps is in some ELITE company then.  I have a feeling though that Kristaps is going to appear in that 20+ points 5+ blocks category many more times.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Delon is exactly what I thought he would be when the Mavs signed him. He's the perfect backcourt mate to Luka. Thought that was a huge signing at the time and didn't understand why everyone was so down on him.

I can't imagine how good the offense will be with Powell back in the lineup. They are missing that rim runner. It's going to be deadly.
Like Reply
(10-26-2019, 01:27 PM)audiosway Wrote: Delon is exactly what I thought he would be when the Mavs signed him. He's the perfect backcourt mate to Luka. Thought that was a huge signing at the time and didn't understand why everyone was so down on him.

I can't imagine how good the offense will be with Powell back in the lineup. They are missing that rim runner. It's going to be deadly.

Some buffoons are still down on him.
Like Reply
I think Mak just made up his Dirkie definition just now. I've been around since Fish posted on LMF that he was starting another message board and I've never heard anything like that. Of course the Dirkie is named for Dirk! 

But vote for whoever you want! It's natural that the best players have to go above and beyond to get the award, otherwise we'd never get to award anyone else. But the award is still named for Dirk, and if you want to give it to Luka for a 25,10, 10 then do it!!
Like Reply
(10-26-2019, 01:27 PM)audiosway Wrote: Delon is exactly what I thought he would be when the Mavs signed him. He's the perfect backcourt mate to Luka. Thought that was a huge signing at the time and didn't understand why everyone was so down on him.

I don't think anyone was really down on him. If anything, people were down on Mavs not spending the available cap space

Delow was exactly what we thought he will be in exactly one game. He was invisible all preseason games and game against Washington. In fact, the game where he played well was when he came of the bench. So we can't really be sure yet, if we got our starter.
Like Reply
(10-26-2019, 02:34 PM)omahen Wrote:

I don't think anyone was really down on him. If anything, people were down on Mavs not spending the available cap space

Delow was exactly what we thought he will be in exactly one game. He was invisible all preseason games and game against Washington. In fact, the game where he played well was when he came of the bench. So we can't really be sure yet, if we got our starter.

In a post game interview Delon mentioned he likes coming from the bench as it awards him more on ball time.
Like Reply
(10-26-2019, 01:29 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Some buffoons are still down on him.

First of all, I didn't really see anyone being down on him.

Secondly, I don't really appreciate calling names against people who might not share your opinion.
Like Reply
“When I’ve been with the first unit, I’ve been playing shooting guard,” Wright told Derek Harper post game. “Then when I was able to come in with the second unit, I got the ball in my hands, was able to get comfortable, able to get up and down the floor, and I got going early.” Source:MMB
Like Reply
(10-26-2019, 02:37 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: In a post game interview Delon mentioned he likes coming from the bench as it awards him more on ball time.

Which kind of confirms he is not really comfortable in that secondary playmaker role. And that we actually might not have that starter we are looking for...

Which is difficult to understand to me. Brunson has no problem getting his shots, even when he is playing with Luka.
Like Reply
(10-26-2019, 02:40 PM)omahen Wrote:
(10-26-2019, 02:37 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: In a post game interview Delon mentioned he likes coming from the bench as it awards him more on ball time.

Which kind of confirms he is not really comfortable in that secondary playmaker role. And that we actually might not have that starter we are looking for...

Which is difficult to understand to me. Brunson has no problem getting his shots, even when he is playing with Luka.

I don't think anything can be definitively "confirmed" after 2 games. Let's see how it plays out. It might turn out that Brunson starting and Delon coming off the bench works better, but Delon and Luka will still have to build some chemistry because they'll most likely close games together. I think eventually Delon starts and Rick figures out how to get him enough touches.
Like Reply
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ddfQlQYQ1gk
Like Reply
(10-26-2019, 01:54 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I think Mak just made up his Dirkie definition just now. I've been around since Fish posted on LMF that he was starting another message board and I've never heard anything like that. Of course the Dirkie is named for Dirk! 

But vote for whoever you want! It's natural that the best players have to go above and beyond to get the award, otherwise we'd never get to award anyone else. But the award is still named for Dirk, and if you want to give it to Luka for a 25,10, 10 then do it!!

Then you missed the birth post and subsequent policing posts trying to get that message across. Eventually those trying to police it gave up due to so many not “getting” it.
Like Reply