Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
(06-11-2024, 09:34 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

Great video. 

Basically Doc Stutterer concludes that KP is definitely going to try to play because his tendon isn't ruptured and he can still function. But most often than not these cases will treated with surgery eventually, even if you don't need to have surgery right away.

But it is a risk to play, he will be hampered, especially pushing off his ankle. And there is always a chance of a potential further more serious injury. 

To me its up to Boston to decide if the risk is worth it. They re-upped KP for another 2 years. They've very rarely cared historically about player health and the desire to win, but one has to wonder if they're willing to risk KP's long term health and ankles for the shot at the title.

Very interesting. If he does play I would go at him hard with the bigs. Make him think twice about playing. I hate that but it is what it is. Dallas needs to be very physical with Boston over the next couple of games. I would just focus on game 3 as a win. Then, I would hammer away at the team that Boston was up 2-1 when they lost to Golden State a couple of years ago.

KP getting hurt would definitely play into my game plan. I would also have the bigs start just abusing Horford inside. He's 38 years old. He is good for 25-30 mpg. But, if KP doesn't play he will have to play 35-38 mpg which will be the point where he starts becoming a hinderance on the court. I would see if Gafford and Lively could wear him down to the point that it cuts his minutes to 25-30. Get those bigs in there and just dump it down to them and let them eat.

I think Dallas wins the next 2. That will cause Boston to start to have flash backs of 2022 and mentally question everything. All Dallas needs is one game in Boston and to hold serve at home.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 03:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I wish I understood how/why THJ went out like this. 

He adjusted to coming off the bench, and was making a huge go of it. In some ways, he was having his best season in quite a while. Then, right around the deadline, he totally fell off of a cliff? Was he hoping to be traded? Did he sense that he was getting pushed even farther down the list and let that get in his head? Does he have a problem with the coach, or someone on the team? I just don't get it, and it's such a shame, because the Mavs' offense hasn't been the same without him, imho. 

It's probably too late to give him a chance, at this point.

My argument would be, that Mavs defense would never reach the levels it did with him playing significant minutes. Perhaps a bit better offense at a cost of significantly worse defense. THJ is imho not the answer
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41, Ghost of Podkolzin, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(06-12-2024, 04:49 AM)omahen Wrote: My argument would be, that Mavs defense would never reach the levels it did with him playing significant minutes. Perhaps a bit better offense at a cost of significantly worse defense. THJ is imho not the answer

You might be right about that, but then again, I have always felt he is a much better defender than others do around here (when he was playing well).

Either way, the question of the post wasn’t “why isn’t Hardaway playing,” it was “”how did Hardaway go out like this?” (and rhetorical). It’s rather undebatable that his offensive play down the stretch of the regular season was abysmal. I don’t blame Jason Kidd for looking elsewhere for help.
Like Reply
(06-12-2024, 10:16 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: You might be right about that, but then, again, I have always felt is a much better defender than others do around here (when he was playing well).

Either way, the question of the post wasn’t “why isn’t Hardaway playing,” it was “”how did Hardaway go out like this?” It’s rather undebatable that his offensive play down the stretch of the regular season was abysmal. I don’t blame Jason kid for looking elsewhere for help.

Biggest mystery of the season for me. 

Kinda reminds me of when OJ Mayo was on the Mavericks for that one season. He looked fantastic in the first part of the season and then fell off a cliff.

I think Mayo struggled with some things off the court that hopefully don't apply to THJ, but I recall it being a similar situation of a guy starting out playing the best ball of his career to obviously being on his was out as the season progressed.
Like Reply
(06-12-2024, 04:49 AM)omahen Wrote: My argument would be, that Mavs defense would never reach the levels it did with him playing significant minutes. Perhaps a bit better offense at a cost of significantly worse defense. THJ is imho not the answer

All I can really say is THJ wasn't a significant contributor to either of our long playoff runs 2 of the last 3 years. I don't think that's coincidence. He's just too streaky and doesn't defend well enough to justify minutes. I will say it's always worth just giving him a few minutes to see if he's on a heater or not. He can single handedly win a playoff game if he is hot. He gets Steph Curry hot when he's hot, but he's cold way too often.
Like Reply
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/ano...d=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=8d1fb5f45c674e5d9ea36444d39cce59&ei=69

Another new face is joining ESPN's finals coverage.
Like Reply
from zach lowe column

If there is one number encapsulating why the Boston Celtics are up 2-0 over the Dallas Mavericks, hoping to cap a dominant season with their 18th title, it is this: Boston has attempted 60 catch-and-shoot 3s, the Mavericks just 28.
Boston's two-game average -- 30 -- would have led the league. The Mavs' -- 14 -- is six below the basement. They attempted a league-leading 11.3 corner 3s in the regular season. They are 2-of-8; Boston is 11-of-26.
The Mavs made it semi-interesting late in Game 2, and they'd be closer overall if not for their dismal 3-point shooting: 13-of-53 (24.5%). But Boston is only 26-of-81 (32%), and the attempt chasm matters more than the accuracy gap -- especially since catch-and-shoot 3s account for all of it. If that chasm sustains, the Mavericks have no path to victory.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft
Like Reply
more

atum recorded 29 drives in Game 2, his highest number in any career game, per Second Spectrum. Brown compiled 23 drives in Game 2 -- one behind his single-game career-high. Boston's 66 drives in Game 2 blew away their previous season high of 58. Their efficiency out of those drives was middling, but if they generate the same kinds of looks, an avalanche is coming.
The most common victims have been Luka Doncic and the Mavs' three centers -- with Irving an occasional target, too. Doncic, dealing with several injuries, has been almost helpless trying to contain Tatum and Brown. Gafford is outside his comfort zone there. Lively has been a nimble switch defender this season, but the Celtics have him on tilt -- frenzied, overthinking. (Lively has four points, five fouls and four offensive rebounds in two games. The Mavs are minus-30 in his 38 minutes.)
  • KillerLeft, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
more

Double-big lineups with Maxi Kleber and one of Gafford and Lively offer more back-line heft, but Kleber has to make 3s, and his shot has not looked right since he suffered a shoulder injury. The Celtics are treating him like a total non-threat. The Mavs are minus-22 in 18 minutes when Kleber plays with either Mavs center.
They are plus-8 with Kleber as a small-ball center, but I'm not sure the benefits of those groups outweigh the absence of a vertical threat on both ends. It is hard to out-duel Boston in a battle of five-out lineups. That equation tilts a bit if Porzingis misses time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-12-2024, 12:50 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: more

Double-big lineups with Maxi Kleber and one of Gafford and Lively offer more back-line heft, but Kleber has to make 3s, and his shot has not looked right since he suffered a shoulder injury. The Celtics are treating him like a total non-threat. The Mavs are minus-22 in 18 minutes when Kleber plays with either Mavs center.
They are plus-8 with Kleber as a small-ball center, but I'm not sure the benefits of those groups outweigh the absence of a vertical threat on both ends. It is hard to out-duel Boston in a battle of five-out lineups. That equation tilts a bit if Porzingis misses time.

This is the way, unless Dallas can somehow get that 1-5 pick and roll working again. It's not an ideal play style for this team, given how they've played the last couple of months with Kleber out, and he's definitely going to have to make shots, but if leaving him open was the game plan, there were a few times when that plan was not followed, which just goes to show that the Boston defenders still think of Kleber as a shooter. 

I'd say they either need to establish the Kleber at 5 lineup on both sides of the court OR get Lively going, somehow. BOTH would be the best outcome possible.
Like Reply
(06-12-2024, 12:50 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: more

How many minutes is that plus 8?

Without hitting wide open 3s, I don't see playing Maxi, at all.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • BigDirk41, nicholasthefan
Like Reply
Everyone acts tough when they are up!
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...8786930129

@MavsFilmRoom
Brian Windhorst talking awfully like the Celtics will be without Kristaps Porzingis for at least a game.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
winning the series is the longest of shots, but it can't happen until you win the first one. Lets do it on Friday.
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
It's over. I hope the Mavericks don't win game 4, and this series ends up in an embarrassing 4-0 sweep... with a blowout of epic proportions in game 4.... for Luka to hopefully realize how badly out of shape he is and how he's letting his teammates down... so that he starts eating and training better... and comes back stronger to win next year's ring.

Also, for the Mavericks FO to realize that even though they had a good deadline transfer window, they still have a heck of a lot of work to do to put together a squad as complete as the Celtic's squad is.

[Image: fat-lady-singing-opera.gif]
Like Reply
(06-13-2024, 03:11 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: It's over. I hope the Mavericks don't win game 4, and this series ends up in an embarrassing 4-0 sweep... with a blowout of epic proportions in game 4.... for Luka to hopefully realize how badly out of shape he is and how he's letting his teammates down.

Also, for the Mavericks FO to realize that even though they had a good deadline transfer window, they still have a heck of a lot of work to do to put together a squad as complete as the Celtic's squad is.

[Image: fat-lady-singing-opera.gif]

That is the spirit.  Although didn't you spend two months earlier in the season trying to get Luka to Utah Smile
  • michaeltex, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-13-2024, 03:18 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: That is the spirit.  Although didn't you spend two months earlier in the season trying to get Luka to Utah Smile

Honestly, I have been a Mavericks fan by default since Luka joined y'all, and want the Mavericks to win this finals. It just doesn't look possible. The Celtics are on a different level. They're quite a bit more talented overall... and on top of that, each of their players has done better physical preparations for themselves and as a result are stronger, faster and fitter than their Mavericks equivalents... and then, they're showing that they want it more on the court too.

Anyway, I have been relatively quiet in the transfer thread after the deadline, because I liked the additions of PJW and Gafford. If the Mavericks FO had instead stood pat and gone ahead with Grant Williams at PF (LOL), I would still be lobbying for Luka to Utah. Tongue
Like Reply
Just remember that we aren't allowed to talk about the Celtics. Not a great team.

Mavs in 4
Mavs in 5
Mavs in 6
Mavs in 7
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-13-2024, 03:35 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just remember that we aren't allowed to talk about the Celtics. Not a great team.

Mavs in 4
Mavs in 5
Mavs in 6
Mavs in 7

The funny thing is that before that guy strolled in and peed on everything I don’t think anyone was really trying to make the case that Boston was some great team. I think we were all just trying to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of each team headed into the series.

Ironically, my takeaway from this series has been that Boston is ABSOLUTELY a great team, and I’m struggling to come up with a reason why they won’t win it again next year.

What was my dude’s name? Windj? I wonder if he will even come back around. All the real Mavs fans will be here in two weeks, dreaming up trades to fix all of this.
Like Reply
(06-13-2024, 01:58 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: winning the series is the longest of shots, but it can't happen until you win the first one.    Lets do it on Friday.

Love the spirit!  But don't look at it like Minnesota did, and were just happy not to get swept. They totally mailed it in at home in game 5.
Like Reply