Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
(06-11-2024, 03:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It would be nice for Green to catch a clue at some point, too. -10 in 13 minutes!!!

OMG I cant even with his fan club.  This dude seems like he pisses himself every season when the lights get bright.

Sucks about Lively finally hitting a roadblock in an otherwise impressive debut season.

I think you said mid season we weren't going to win a title without THJ being an integral part of it.  Looks like you were right.
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 03:31 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I think you said mid season we weren't going to win a title without THJ being an integral part of it.  Looks like you were right.

I wish I understood how/why THJ went out like this. 

He adjusted to coming off the bench, and was making a huge go of it. In some ways, he was having his best season in quite a while. Then, right around the deadline, he totally fell off of a cliff? Was he hoping to be traded? Did he sense that he was getting pushed even farther down the list and let that get in his head? Does he have a problem with the coach, or someone on the team? I just don't get it, and it's such a shame, because the Mavs' offense hasn't been the same without him, imho. 

It's probably too late to give him a chance, at this point.
Like Reply
Maybe it's time to let Lively start launching 3s and open up our offense. Just a thought. I really feel like he can hit them or at least enough to keep the defense honest. Just thinking outside the box here.
Like Reply
So, here's a Thinking Basketball breakdown of how the offenses are attacking. Ironically, I went from here to Youtube, and this was the first video in my feed, concerning what I was just speculating about. 

A couple of things: these guys don't seem to think the Dallas blow bys are systemically planned - they think Luka really is just that bad on defense. Also, I just don't understand how people can watch strategy play out like this and reach the conclusion that attempting to play any system other than 5-out is a good idea. When you do it at a high enough level with the right players, it's just so impossible to defend. 

https://youtu.be/zJyHNqUbtOA?si=qnY-hbgz62z2ojrM
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 03:40 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Maybe it's time to let Lively start launching 3s and open up our offense. Just a thought. I really feel like he can hit them or at least enough to keep the defense honest. Just thinking outside the box here.

If it's between that or Gafford post ups, sign me up!!! Either way, you're doing something you haven't practiced all season, but at least one of those things might be a productive step towards future success.
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 03:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If it's between that or Gafford post ups, sign me up!!! Either way, you're doing something you haven't practiced all season, but at least one of those things might be a productive step towards future success.

With the way the whole team, other than Luka is shooting, it's worth a shot. He hits corner 3s in practice. I saw a video from just 3 weeks ago of him nailing corner 3s. I know practice is completely different, but he has really nice form. After seeing Gafford post up, I think it's the better of the two choices..lol. He looked so uncomfortable posting up Tatum.
Like Reply
Also we just became the much bigger team if KP is really out the rest of the finals. We have to take advantage on the glass.
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 03:57 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Also we just became the much bigger team if KP is really out the rest of the finals. We have to take advantage on the glass.

I misread this doing a quick scan the first time and interpreted “KP is made of glass”…
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 04:02 PM)Berknip Wrote: I misread this doing a quick scan the first time and interpreted “KP is made of glass”…

It is annoying to me that:

A) Boston seems to have coaxed KP's best level of play out of him, when Dallas could not, and 

B) despite KP STILL having huge injury issues, it doesn't appear like that's going to prevent their team from reaching their highest potential. 

Just maddening.
Like Reply
The Celtics can still win without KP.  A limited or unavailable KP obviously gives the Mavs a chance.   

1) he has been a real nice pairing with Horford allowing them not to continue to give heavy minutes to Horford.
2) While both are good shooters, KP spaces you out more.  He also has a quicker release. 
3) Horford is not the rim protector KP is.
4) KP has been awesome coming off the bench.  Feels like the games change when he enters.   Weird feeling because that is the feeling Lively had been giving recently.   

If KP is limited or out, mavs need to attack non stop.  Boston has great wing defenders who are long, but no mercy going to the rim.

Game 3 is all that matters.  Lets take care of business first.
[-] The following 7 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, HoosierDaddyKidd, KillerLeft, michaeltex, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 02:55 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
As Boston’s Kristaps Porzingis told reporters, he’s determined and expects to continue to try and play with this tendon injury in the Finals. For now, there’s no indication he’ll be ruled out and not permitted to try in Game 3, sources said.

If he looks like OG Anunoby did when he tried to come back, from that bad hammy, it's not worth the risk.
Like Reply
FWIW, it's truly sad to see KP brought down by another injury. Seems like every time he gets on a roll and starts to ascend the star ladder, an injury sidelines him and he's back to square one.

That said, even though he hurt DAL in the first two games, I'm still glad he's not a Mav anymore. Can you imagine the frustration levels if this happened late in teh playoffs while wearing a DAL uniform?

BOS may still have enough to win the series, but no KP changes the complexion of the games. If he's limited, or out, then it might be time to let our bigs wear out the rim.
[-] The following 3 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • BigDirk41, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I was just thinking to myself that Porzingas's career was starting to remind me of Ralph Sampson. On a whim, I went and looked up his stats:

After eight years in the league, Sampson played in only 456 games. His first year was very good, then he was riddled with injuries
After eight years in the league, Porzingas played in only 459 games. His first year was very good, then he was riddled with injuries

Sampson actually played all 82 games in his rookie year, but he never came close to that after his rookie year. KP's first year he played 72 games - also his most productive season to date.

They did not have similar styles of course, but they shared all sorts of back and leg injuries. Maybe those long thin body types just can't withstand that kind of rigor. KP will likely have a much longer career as sports medicine has greatly improved, but it just doesn't seem possibly he'll ever manage an injury-free season. Sampson has stated publicly that he thought one of the reasons his career was so short is that he continually tried to come back too soon from injury.
[-] The following 2 users Like Winter's post:
  • Lukedoncic, michaeltex
Like Reply
Mark Followill
@MFollowill
Official injury designations for Game 3:
Dallas lists Luka Doncic as probable (thoracic contusion).
Boston lists Kristaps Porzingis as questionable (left posterior tibialis dislocation).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 06:26 PM)Winter Wrote: I was just thinking to myself that Porzingas's career was starting to remind me of Ralph Sampson. On a whim, I went and looked up his stats:

After eight years in the league, Sampson played in only 456 games. His first year was very good, then he was riddled with injuries
After eight years in the league, Porzingas played in only 459 games. His first year was very good, then he was riddled with injuries

Sampson actually played all 82 games in his rookie year, but he never came close to that after his rookie year. KP's first year he played 72 games - also his most productive season to date.

They did not have similar styles of course, but they shared all sorts of back and leg injuries. Maybe those long thin body types just can't withstand that kind of rigor. KP will likely have a much longer career as sports medicine has greatly improved, but it just doesn't seem possibly he'll ever manage an injury-free season. Sampson has stated publicly that he thought one of the reasons his career was so short is that he continually tried to come back too soon from injury.

I hope for Wemby and the future of basketball that he‘ll be the exception from that rule! 

Concerning Porzingis, the doctors will have the last say of he‘ll play or not. We‘ll see if they are just messing with us like the Clippers did with Kawhi or if he really could play.
Like Reply
Oddsmakers have Dallas as 2.5 point favorites for tomorrow.
Like Reply

Great video. 

Basically Doc Stutterer concludes that KP is definitely going to try to play because his tendon isn't ruptured and he can still function. But most often than not these cases will treated with surgery eventually, even if you don't need to have surgery right away.

But it is a risk to play, he will be hampered, especially pushing off his ankle. And there is always a chance of a potential further more serious injury. 

To me its up to Boston to decide if the risk is worth it. They re-upped KP for another 2 years. They've very rarely cared historically about player health and the desire to win, but one has to wonder if they're willing to risk KP's long term health and ankles for the shot at the title.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 03:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: So, here's a Thinking Basketball breakdown of how the offenses are attacking. Ironically, I went from here to Youtube, and this was the first video in my feed, concerning what I was just speculating about. 

A couple of things: these guys don't seem to think the Dallas blow bys are systemically planned - they think Luka really is just that bad on defense. Also, I just don't understand how people can watch strategy play out like this and reach the conclusion that attempting to play any system other than 5-out is a good idea. When you do it at a high enough level with the right players, it's just so impossible to defend. 

https://youtu.be/zJyHNqUbtOA?si=qnY-hbgz62z2ojrM

Don't get me wrong. I think 5 out is a great idea. I loved that Rick was doing that or trying to. The problem is that you'll hardly ever find the right guys that can play it. He's doing it now in Indiana but they have zero defense. Boston has some very good 2 way players that can pull it off. KP can't stay healthy though. Have fun trying to find another 7 footer that can protect the rim and shoot 3s at a great clip.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
Like Reply
@sixfivelando

Kyrie Irving on his talks w/ Luka Dončić being down 0-2:

“It started w/ me, just telling my hermano I gotta play better for him, alongside him, in order for us to accomplish our goal… just letting him know it’s my fault, taking accountability for not playing particularly well.”
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
@_abigaiiiil
“I’ve been saying it all year, failure is the best teacher at times and it can inspire you to do great things… we want to give ourselves a chance by leaving it all out there on the floor.”

Kyrie speaks on Game 3 mentality as the Celtics lead 2-0.
Like Reply