Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
(06-05-2024, 06:32 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Thanks for sharing.  I think we all underestimate how much preparation and detail goes into every small thing.  I was watching and trying to figure out what they were talking to Gafford on his first rep.

Me too. My observation was that he left the double team too early. Seems like he should break as the dribble is stopped to make the pass, but I think the dribble was still live and he left the primary defender all alone. Second rep felt like it was better timing.

Maybe that's going to be part of Gaff's growth. Get quality coaching on the fine points so he can better understand how to be more effective in a team defense.

I'd like to call for Mavs in 4 or 6, so they win one on their home floor, but I'm thinking it's going to be 5.
Like Reply
(06-05-2024, 08:53 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Me too. My observation was that he left the double team too early. Seems like he should break as the dribble is stopped to make the pass, but I think the dribble was still live and he left the primary defender all alone. Second rep felt like it was better timing.

Maybe that's going to be part of Gaff's growth. Get quality coaching on the fine points so he can better understand how to be more effective in a team defense.

One of the things I'm a little unclear on is whether the Mavs are a finished product. They seem to have gotten better over the playoffs. They're a little hard to evaluate because they happened as a team really quickly.

I suspect one of the things that has gotten better over time is their communication. They're going to really need that in this series.
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/4027...nba-finals

Here's the referee crew for the Finals.
Like Reply
(06-05-2024, 09:00 AM)Winter Wrote: One of the things I'm a little unclear on is whether the Mavs are a finished product. They seem to have gotten better over the playoffs. They're a little hard to evaluate because they happened as a team really quickly.

I suspect one of the things that has gotten better over time is their communication. They're going to really need that in this series.

Before this playoff run, I was seeing this year's Mavs as being in sort of a "2010" stage. But I know better than thinking that way once you reach the finals. There is never a guarantee of making it back once you're there.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
The Vegas take on this series has me pretty shook. The Mavs are the third biggest Finals underdog of ALL TIME. I don’t love that.
Like Reply
(06-05-2024, 09:51 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: The Vegas take on this series has me pretty shook. The Mavs are the third biggest Finals underdog of ALL TIME. I don’t love that.

Personally, I hope it’s posted on the wall in the locker room.
[-] The following 4 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, rocky164, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(06-05-2024, 09:51 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: The Vegas take on this series has me pretty shook. The Mavs are the third biggest Finals underdog of ALL TIME. I don’t love that.

It wouldn't be surprising to me if most betters have zero confidence in the Mavs and haven't really paid attention to the Mavs. I believe the betting line is set by how much money Vegas thinks will come in on each side. Is that how it works? So, it's kind of a measure of what people who don't keep up with the Mavs think about the Mavs. But I'm out of my element speculating too much about this, really.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(06-05-2024, 09:00 AM)Winter Wrote: One of the things I'm a little unclear on is whether the Mavs are a finished product. They seem to have gotten better over the playoffs. They're a little hard to evaluate because they happened as a team really quickly.

I think the Mavs still have a lot of room to grow.  Gafford included--he needs some quality coaching to help him get on the same page with the others...skill and game plans.  I also tend to agree that the team has gotten better--in the latter part of the season, and in the playoffs.

What Gafford needs most is lessens in mental toughness.  He needs to be taught and bolstered until the mental toughness becomes natural--something he doesn't have to think about.
Like Reply

The Mavs play better as underdogs.  I hope Boston takes the Mavs lightly.  And yes...the odds should be posted on the locker room wall.
[-] The following 4 users Like ballsrchr's post:
  • audiosway, fifteenth, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply

How dare you even mention something like this. Are you even a Mavs fan?!
Mavs in 4.
[-] The following 5 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, fifteenth, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(06-05-2024, 10:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: How dare you even mention something like this. Are you even a Mavs fan?!
Mavs in 4.

I just spent some time in Vegas at The Mirage.  I saw nothing but losers.

WAB
[-] The following 4 users Like WildArkieBoy's post:
  • Arioch, ballsrchr, fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-05-2024, 10:35 AM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: I just spent some time in Vegas at The Mirage.  I saw nothing but losers.

WAB

LMAO!

The thing about the Vegas odds is that Vegas understands Boston. It's been the same team at the top of the Eastern Conference for awhile. I am not so sure the Mavs are a known product yet. After all, they were underdogs in the Minnesota series as well.
Like Reply
(06-05-2024, 12:45 AM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: I take my Luklear royalty payments in the form of finals tickets.

How about finals drinks after the Mavs pull it off?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
NBA 2K24

Has DAL winning over BOS by score of 101 to 93.

I have no idea how this reflects reality. I think they predicted some pretty significant MIN wins last series but I can't find any references now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Well, this is a little sobering, especially since it touches on all of deepest fears going into the series.

Jason Timpf picks Boston in 6, with pretty sound reasoning:

https://youtu.be/CH1RlkHfZkk?si=hexJhqwwwYzQLKRe
Like Reply
(06-05-2024, 11:37 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, this is a little sobering, especially since it touches on all of deepest fears going into the series.

Yep. Not unexpected really.
Like Reply
(06-05-2024, 10:14 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: The Mavs play better as underdogs.  I hope Boston takes the Mavs lightly.  And yes...the odds should be posted on the locker room wall.

They won't take them lightly. You won't find any bulletin board material in that locker room. I'm sure Mazzulla has drilled that in their heads.
Like Reply
(06-05-2024, 11:37 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, this is a little sobering, especially since it touches on all of deepest fears going into the series.

Is it sobering?

He also picked the Wolves against the Mavs. Highlighted all the size issues Minny will present. Said Ant and McDaniels will slow Kyrie down considerably and Luka will be stagnated. 

He had OKC/Mavs as a 50/50 but favored OKC because of Maxi's injury.

He had LAC over the Mavs too and called it Kawhi's best series matchup. 

Timpf has been pretty consistent in that the Mavs will lose every single series.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, michaeltex
Like Reply
(06-05-2024, 12:31 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Is it sobering?

He also picked the Wolves against the Mavs. Highlighted all the size issues Minny will present. Said Ant and McDaniels will slow Kyrie down considerably and Luka will be stagnated. 

He had OKC/Mavs as a 50/50 but favored OKC because of Maxi's injury.

He had LAC over the Mavs too and called it Kawhi's best series matchup. 

Timpf has been pretty consistent in that the Mavs will lose every single series.

To be fair, Clippers probably would have been the toughest series if Kawhi was healthy, and I think part of the reason he picked Wolves was due to concern about Luka knee.  I also think he picked Mavs over OKC but didn't feel good about it because of Maxi.
Like Reply
In a surprise twist, Bill Simmons thinks the Celtics will win the series.

https://x.com/TheCousinSal/status/1798400530408239152
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • audiosway, fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply