Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
COVID-19: Scrimmage games | July 23 (NBATV), 26 (NBATV), 28 (FSSW) for DAL
(03-13-2020, 07:56 AM)bartlettbear Wrote: I am ok with the shut down to prevent spread but this everyone is going to get it the math does had up and it causing panic.

there are 11 million people in Wuhan only 80000 in all of China go it, so even at ground zero it did not effect everyone.

It took extreme measures that are not compatible in the way we live in the Western World. Such as the government blocking the entire buildings where virus was so people could not get out on the street and spread it. I doubt that will be done here in the Western World.
Like Reply
It's not 1% of the world's population. It's 1% percent of cases from around the world. Certain areas have rates that vary, largely due to the circumstances that already exist there--ie general health of the patients, healthcare system, cultural habits, environment, age, cleanliness, etc. Nursing homes that have been affected have higher rates than non nursing home populations. Zip codes are markedly different as well depending on certain environmental factors. Countries are also remarkably different when it comes to this. 

What you're doing is taking a number and irresponsibly misusing it to feed into paranoia and anxiety by treating every location the same. Aside from that you have no idea exactly how many people were exposed and have recovered. For all we know, 1% could be a maximum. What we do know is that it is stronger than the flu and it spreads just as easily. But to say it's capable of killing 1% of the world's population is foolish.
Like Reply
(03-13-2020, 09:19 AM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: It's not 1% of the world's population. It's 1% percent of cases from around the world. Certain areas have rates that vary, largely due to the circumstances that already exist there--ie general health of the patients, healthcare system, cultural habits, environment, age, cleanliness, etc. Nursing homes that have been affected have higher rates than non nursing home populations. Zip codes are markedly different as well depending on certain environmental factors. Countries are also remarkably different when it comes to this. 

What you're doing is taking a number and irresponsibly misusing it to feed into paranoia and anxiety by treating every location the same. Aside from that you have no idea exactly how many people were exposed and have recovered. For all we know, 1% could be a maximum. What we do know is that it is stronger than the flu and it spreads just as easily. But to say it's capable of killing 1% of the world's population is foolish.

What we know is that Italy is highly developed country, very comparble to the states in terms of living standard and heath care, especially Northern Italy and they are collapsing due to this problem. People cant get treatment in hospitals as so many are sick same time, the healthcare system is collapsing. So its a proven fact and the same will happen everywhere else if the response is the same. Its not something made up. Mortality rate is more like 6% among the confirmed cases when the hospitals were overloaded, however that figure must be wrong as many cases go undetected. 1% is assuming that there are more cases non detected, its estimated number. The 1% also stems from Singapore where they tested a much larger population then anywhere else, the mild cases etc. Then the figure is around 1% an not 3-5%. This is probably the most accurate as that is base on a very wide test.

The normal seasonal flu does not cause hospitals to break down in well developed countries few weeks after first cases arrise. So no, nobody is over panicking. Its a real and proven threath of a great magnitude.

its first time since WW2 that countries are closing in europe and rationing on food are starting to be implemented. Wake up!

(03-13-2020, 09:19 AM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: It's not 1% of the world's population. It's 1% percent of cases from around the world. Certain areas have rates that vary, largely due to the circumstances that already exist there--ie general health of the patients, healthcare system, cultural habits, environment, age, cleanliness, etc. Nursing homes that have been affected have higher rates than non nursing home populations. Zip codes are markedly different as well depending on certain environmental factors. Countries are also remarkably different when it comes to this. 

Most people have immunity against the seasonal flu. Thus only few get infected each year and the total mortality numbers are low.

This thing however, nobody has immunity and most of us will get sick with this if not containment is in place. This is what Spanish Flu was also and why most of the world got it, as nobody was immune. It collapsed every health care system on the planet.

The mortality rate is not the most important thing. The immunity and lack of it is also very important. Nobody has immunity so it spreads like crazy. In few weeks Italy went from first case to Hospitals where there are no more beds and people lying in the corridors and outside Hospitals.

Dont downplay this at all please.
Like Reply
I have a concern that the China/Wuhan numbers are actual. This was going on for months before it was officially recognized by the Chinese government so nobody really knows what the actual count was. We may be only seeing part of the curve, never mind if China is filtering the numbers so they don't look so bad.

Anecdotal reports of Iran using mass graves and Italians getting stuck with deceased family members because nobody wants to come retrieve the body. 

The whole idea of cancelling events and social distancing is not to eliminate the disease but to flatten the curve so that patient needs don't overwhelm medical services. This means trading intensity for time, which means this is not going to blow over in a couple of weeks.

[Image: 960x0.jpg?fit=scale]
Like Reply
From a Realgm thread which I think is worth sharing here

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavir...d3d9cd99ca
Like Reply
We now have a 2 week extension on our son's spring break that just came through from our ISD. I had a conversation with my wife about our neighbor kid who went to the zoo 3 days ago and came right over afterward to play with our son who is type 1 diabetic (current #2 death rate as far as I have seen). At the time I didn't think anything of it. Now I'm thinking we should all just quarantine ourselves here until we hear what's up. Esp since there is an incubation period. Wife just got a bunch of groceries yesterday, so thinking maybe we just ration the food out to stretch out over a longer period of time. Very inconvenient, but worth it when this thing hits our area.
Like Reply
I am not panicky. I am not overreacting. In fact, I’m at Denver International Airport about to get on a flight home. Yet I assume that most Americans will be exposed to this. That the President already has it. That there are far more undiagnosed than diagnosed cases, both here and around the globe. And that we shouldn’t be surprised, given our persistent assault on Mother Earth, that the ol lady is fighting back.
Like Reply
(03-13-2020, 11:25 AM)Jommybone Wrote: I am not panicky. I am not overreacting. In fact, I’m at Denver International Airport about to get on a flight home. Yet I assume that most Americans will be exposed to this. That the President already has it. That there are far more undiagnosed than diagnosed cases, both here and around the globe. And that we shouldn’t be surprised, given our persistent assault on Mother Earth, that the ol lady is fighting back.
I'm not panicky either, just taking the safer route to keeping my small 3 person family alive and well.
Like Reply
(03-13-2020, 09:52 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I have a concern that the China/Wuhan numbers are actual. This was going on for months before it was officially recognized by the Chinese government so nobody really knows what the actual count was. We may be only seeing part of the curve, never mind if China is filtering the numbers so they don't look so bad.

Anecdotal reports of Iran using mass graves and Italians getting stuck with deceased family members because nobody wants to come retrieve the body. 

The whole idea of cancelling events and social distancing is not to eliminate the disease but to flatten the curve so that patient needs don't overwhelm medical services. This means trading intensity for time, which means this is not going to blow over in a couple of weeks.

[Image: 960x0.jpg?fit=scale]
And this also means that extensive global travel was occurring for a couple of months after the emergence of the virus, which also means that perhaps thousands of people around the world who thought they had a cold may indeed have picked up this coronavirus.  Therefore, the actual number of coronavirus cases may be much larger than the known cases.  This is why the high mortality rates that are being bandied about may be quite overstated.

Three coronavirus cases just announced here in Tyler:

"All three of the confirmed patients have a recent travel history outside of the United States. The test results were confirmed by the Public Health Lab of East Texas (PHLET)."

Also, my UT Dallas student daughter just told me UTD extended Spring Break to two weeks and all classes are online.
Like Reply
I am attending Colorado Mesa University, and we have gone to two weeks of online classes post our Spring Break that starts this weekend... BUT.. my professors have already told me, that basically the entire semester is going to be online, as they all kind of know it plans on being extended and we aren't coming back to school this year.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/SharylAttkisson/stat...5696011264
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1238517468362149889

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...5999983617
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(03-13-2020, 12:27 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: https://twitter.com/SharylAttkisson/stat...5696011264
So what's this?

Don't worry because only the old folks are going to die? Sorry, Granny, them's the breaks...

Just in:

All TX state offices are now going to work-from-home status until further notice. (My daughter works for the state, inside info)
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/luka7doncic/status/1...0437387264
Like Reply
(03-13-2020, 02:08 PM)michaeltex Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 12:27 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: https://twitter.com/SharylAttkisson/stat...5696011264
So what's this?

Don't worry because only the old folks are going to die? Sorry, Granny, them's the breaks...

Just in:

All TX state offices are now going to work-from-home status until further notice. (My daughter works for the state, inside info)

I think it's fair to offer some perspective. Unfortunately lots of people die from flu every year:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

I
t of course hits the elderly very hard. We have lost our minds a bit over this, more than H1N1 or Swine Flu which were pretty serious (Swine Flu killed young and healthy people). The NY Times published an article today that literally says 1.7 million people could die from this "worst case scenario" which is just fear-mongering and insane.

The extreme measures the US is taking is going to slow it down and the spring and summer months should slow it down as well.

Another thing to mention is that I lived in Wuhan for 2 years and I can personally attest that hygiene is non-existent there, full stop. We carried hand sanitizer with us everywhere. 15 years later the smell of hand sanitizer still ignites feelings and memories of China we used it so much. All that to say the lack of sanitation, hygiene, crowds makes it a major problem that we don't have here. Americans are probably the most germ-conscious ppl on the planet. We are willing to shut down the entire economy to close the spread of this so I am confident we will get it figured out.
Like Reply
(03-13-2020, 09:32 AM)burekemde Wrote:

What we know is that Italy is highly developed country, very comparble to the states in terms of living standard and heath care, especially Northern Italy and they are collapsing due to this problem. People cant get treatment in hospitals as so many are sick same time, the healthcare system is collapsing. So its a proven fact and the same will happen everywhere else if the response is the same. Its not something made up. Mortality rate is more like 6% among the confirmed cases when the hospitals were overloaded, however that figure must be wrong as many cases go undetected. 1% is assuming that there are more cases non detected, its estimated number. The 1% also stems from Singapore where they tested a much larger population then anywhere else, the mild cases etc. Then the figure is around 1% an not 3-5%. This is probably the most accurate as that is base on a very wide test.

The normal seasonal flu does not cause hospitals to break down in well developed countries few weeks after first cases arrise. So no, nobody is over panicking. Its a real and proven threath of a great magnitude.

its first time since WW2 that countries are closing in europe and rationing on food are starting to be implemented. Wake up!

Most people have immunity against the seasonal flu. Thus only few get infected each year and the total mortality numbers are low.

This thing however, nobody has immunity and most of us will get sick with this if not containment is in place. This is what Spanish Flu was also and why most of the world got it, as nobody was immune. It collapsed every health care system on the planet.

The mortality rate is not the most important thing. The immunity and lack of it is also very important. Nobody has immunity so it spreads like crazy. In few weeks Italy went from first case to Hospitals where there are no more beds and people lying in the corridors and outside Hospitals.

Dont downplay this at all please.

1. [...] The overall mortality rate is always going to depend on the demographics of a population, said Aubree Gordon, an associate professor of epidemiology at the University of Michigan. In this case, the reported mortality rate is not "age standardized," which is a way to adjust for the underlying demographics of a population, she said.

2. [...] 
One factor affecting the country's death rate may be the age of its population — Italy has the oldest population in Europe, with about 23% of residents 65 or older, according to The New York Times. The median age in the country is 47.3, compared with 38.3 in the United States, the Times reported. Many of Italy's deaths have been among people in their 80s, and 90s, a population known to be more susceptible to severe complications from COVID-19, according to The Local.

In addition, Italians are far more susceptible to a spread due to their close contact on average. Each area has it's own mortality rate based on factors that are unique to that area and those conditions do not generally exist here or will not, so long as we take necessary precautions. Stop blending the entire world in within your case synopsis.

And for the record, it's not downplaying anything when i'm responding to you with facts. Is it serious? Yes it is but not nearly as serious as you make it out to be for 99% of the population. However, we do need to control the spread of it in general and if it means taking
 measures like the ones we are doing now, then so be it. But dont take my insistence on factual and effectual discussion for a lack of seriousness. 
Like Reply
So, Italy is the Florida of Europe.
Like Reply
(03-13-2020, 05:41 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So, Italy is the Florida of Europe.

Basically.
Like Reply
I need my daily dose of Luka

https://twitter.com/luka7doncic/status/1...9159970817
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...7273263106
Like Reply