Posts: 21,276
Threads: 71
Likes Received: 14,211 in 7,264 posts
Likes Given: 14,644
Likes Received: 14,211 in 7,264 posts
Likes Given: 14,644
Joined: Aug 2020
(01-04-2026, 02:28 PM)rocky164 Wrote: I know this is going to sound odd, but I kind of like the idea of Sweeny replacing Kidd. Kidd as a coach has been good at times especially in the playoffs. But most of the time, in my opinion, he’s mediocre at best and is absolutely terrible at designing an offense and calling plays especially after time outs.
Sure, and maybe Sweeny will be great - no idea.
Don't you kind of want someone who we already know is great though? I mean, I do.
Posts: 2,217
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 1,400 in 780 posts
Likes Given: 168
Likes Received: 1,400 in 780 posts
Likes Given: 168
Joined: Sep 2019
Can you really trade Davis now and THEN hire an outside person this summer? That just doesn't make any sense
I guess none of this really makes too much sense tho.
Wish there was a clear plan and vision for bringing in a professional months ago. Kinda need to do the AD trade now before the deadline if we're going to do one. The value is just going to drop more and more
Posts: 21,276
Threads: 71
Likes Received: 14,211 in 7,264 posts
Likes Given: 14,644
Likes Received: 14,211 in 7,264 posts
Likes Given: 14,644
Joined: Aug 2020
(01-04-2026, 02:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It is starting to feel inevitable. I don't mind it as long as Cuban is pushed off of the committee. I like keeping Baker and Riccardi and Finley together and bringing Sweeny back. I assume all of those things are part of the package (and part of the attractiveness of the plan).
I think an interesting element of this is watching Kidd's maneuvers as a coach to see if there are tells about what he'll prioritize as a GM. It probably means we don't have to wait on any big deals until the summer, which I also count as a positive.
You have a vastly different perspective on this than I. Thanks for sharing, because it's an interesting one.
I agree that if this rumor is true, it probably increases the likelihood of roster changes at the deadline.
Posts: 2,791
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 2,395 in 1,215 posts
Likes Given: 2,865
Likes Received: 2,395 in 1,215 posts
Likes Given: 2,865
Joined: Jul 2022
Sweeney is a good defensive coordinator. No idea if he'd be a good head coach. My problem with hiring him would be who is running the offense.
Posts: 219
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 227 in 119 posts
Likes Given: 1,365
Likes Received: 227 in 119 posts
Likes Given: 1,365
Joined: Sep 2019
(01-04-2026, 02:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sure, and maybe Sweeny will be great - no idea.
Don't you kind of want someone who we already know is great though? I mean, I do.
Sure, I’d love a great coach with a proven track record, just like I’d love Presti to be the GM. But with the mess that is now Dallas, I don’t see a proven coach on the horizon. I also don’t want Kidd anywhere near the GM position. But it’s possible he could be a much better GM than a coach especially if we keep Ricardi and Finley around, which won’t be popular with Kidd.
Is there a head coach available with a proven track record of developing young players and maximizing their potential?
If I were making the decisions, which thankfully I’m not, I’d look for a GM and allow him to bring in a new head coach with both having a proven track record and a vision for building a team around Flagg
Posts: 1,364
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 401 in 304 posts
Likes Given: 1,321
Likes Received: 401 in 304 posts
Likes Given: 1,321
Joined: Feb 2025
(01-04-2026, 02:37 PM)Jym Wrote: Can you really trade Davis now and THEN hire an outside person this summer? That just doesn't make any sense
I guess none of this really makes too much sense tho.
Wish there was a clear plan and vision for bringing in a professional months ago. Kinda need to do the AD trade now before the deadline if we're going to do one. The value is just going to drop more and more
Agree... Unless new GM is already in the house. Right?
Posts: 21,276
Threads: 71
Likes Received: 14,211 in 7,264 posts
Likes Given: 14,644
Likes Received: 14,211 in 7,264 posts
Likes Given: 14,644
Joined: Aug 2020
(01-04-2026, 02:48 PM)rocky164 Wrote: If I were making the decisions, which thankfully I’m not, I’d look for a GM and allow him to bring in a new head coach with both having a proven track record and a vision for building a team around Flagg
Well, I think that’s what they should do, so I kind of wish you WERE making the decisions, frankly.
Just a minor note about the rest: pretty sure Riccardi is a Jason Kidd guy. They worked together in Brooklyn.
Posts: 21,276
Threads: 71
Likes Received: 14,211 in 7,264 posts
Likes Given: 14,644
Likes Received: 14,211 in 7,264 posts
Likes Given: 14,644
Joined: Aug 2020
One thing that gives me a little hope is that I don’t think it’s a done deal. If it were, there would be more out there about it, and they might have even announced it already. I mean, he works here already. I can’t think of any reason to keep it under wraps, other than the idea that other options are still being considered.
Posts: 12,096
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 7,154 in 4,019 posts
Likes Given: 453
Likes Received: 7,154 in 4,019 posts
Likes Given: 453
Joined: Oct 2020
I would not be in favor of Kidd being GM. When Ricardi named popped up someone said if he got the job that it would mean Kidd has influence. I wonder if something like this is the outcome. Ricardi is the GM responsible for scouting and most GM roles. Kidd takes the Role Nico was supposedly moving to. He is the president of operations and has the most say. New coach is brought in. That would mean most of the structure is already in place.
I would prefer they go outside though.
Posts: 6,575
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 6,169 in 3,146 posts
Likes Given: 4,097
Likes Received: 6,169 in 3,146 posts
Likes Given: 4,097
Joined: Dec 2020
(01-04-2026, 03:50 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would not be in favor of Kidd being GM. When Ricardi named popped up someone said if he got the job that it would mean Kidd has influence. I wonder if something like this is the outcome. Ricardi is the GM responsible for scouting and most GM roles. Kidd takes the Role Nico was supposedly moving to. He is the president of operations and has the most say. New coach is brought in. That would mean most of the structure is already in place.
I would prefer they go outside though.
If they want to keep most of the structure in place, I would rather they just go get Lindsey.
Posts: 4,913
Threads: 11
Likes Received: 5,802 in 2,502 posts
Likes Given: 5,294
Likes Received: 5,802 in 2,502 posts
Likes Given: 5,294
Joined: Nov 2020
1 I have no interest whatsoever in seeing Kidd promoted to GM. To me, it feels like a weak and lazy hire.
2 I think Kidd is a talented coach. He has skills for days in the key areas. I think if he moved from coach to GM, you end up weak in 2 key positions, not just 1.
3 Kidd is highly respected around the NBA. His top assistants end up in high demand. All of that is informative.
4 I'm not sure if I buy the media whispers that Kidd has been plotting a coup. Yes it's always possible. Kidd did it in the past, so it's possible he's at it again - but it feels to me more like media making speculative assumptions based on past history, instead of anything current. We will see.
5 I think Kidd has influence and a voice that's heard in Mavs land. He SHOULD, for sure, because he will have to work WITH the new guy. I would hope his thoughts are about who he can mesh with, and what he needs, rather than selling himself as GM.
6 Oh, and I know the GM they need. A guy named Presti. Yeah, his team has taken some losses lately, but I'm still on that train.
7 I dont want Cuban as GM, nor as the GMs supervisor, nor any actual DECISION-MAKER role. Advise? Sure. Give him a voice at the table, and let his experience be heard. But I really want BETTER THAN Cuban to be the GM. Cuban made his personal skills the ceiling - he had to be the smartest guy, rather than willing to surround himself with smarter than him. Need to change that.
1.
Posts: 608
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 404 in 230 posts
Likes Given: 165
Likes Received: 404 in 230 posts
Likes Given: 165
Joined: Dec 2019
Cuban has no advice to give. He is a moron. Can you imagine him advising Presti? LOLs.
Posts: 10,950
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 5,007 in 2,880 posts
Likes Given: 407
Likes Received: 5,007 in 2,880 posts
Likes Given: 407
Joined: Sep 2019
Kidd would be disaster. I can't wait until we wash our hands of him completely which means he'll almost certainly be the next GM.
Posts: 12,096
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 7,154 in 4,019 posts
Likes Given: 453
Likes Received: 7,154 in 4,019 posts
Likes Given: 453
Joined: Oct 2020
(01-05-2026, 03:34 PM)cow Wrote: Kidd would be disaster. I can't wait until we wash our hands of him completely which means he'll almost certainly be the next GM.
You have to give credit. Nico told Cuban he was the silent assassin in previous jobs and then did it to Cuban in a matter of 6 months. Looks like Kidd did the same to Nico. I know that is has been reported that the Luka trade was all Nico. I don't buy it. There had to be a ton of frustration from Kidd going back years. Had to be. I also believe Kidd gave his blessing to trade Luka for Giannis or Anthony Edwards. It was reported Mavs called both teams. The reporting made it seem like the Mavs were fishing and never came out and offered Luka. I have no doubt Kidd made it known his thoughts on AD before the trade too. Whether he was involved in the negotiations is another story.
Kidd has received very little pushback from the trade. Luka seems to hate him now though. Kidd has mastered this beautifully gaining power while escaping any of the blame. Quite the master stroke by someone who knows how to play the game.
Whether Kidd is the GM, pres of Basketball operations or just the coach is TBD. What I feel confident saying though is he is going to have much more power than he did previously.
Posts: 608
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 404 in 230 posts
Likes Given: 165
Likes Received: 404 in 230 posts
Likes Given: 165
Joined: Dec 2019
01-05-2026, 07:22 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2026, 07:23 PM by windjc.)
Kidd is not going to be GM. This board sounds like a QANON meeting sometimes.
Kidd is more likely to be fired than hired.
Dumont will get a real GM in the summer. AD probably won't be traded until then.
Dumont was a moron for trusting Nico, but he is a smart business man. And he doesn't have Cuban's manchild ego.
He deserves a chance to prove himself. I think him showing patience to wait to the summer is mature and smart.
Posts: 4,913
Threads: 11
Likes Received: 5,802 in 2,502 posts
Likes Given: 5,294
Likes Received: 5,802 in 2,502 posts
Likes Given: 5,294
Joined: Nov 2020
(01-05-2026, 07:22 PM)windjc Wrote: Kidd is not going to be GM. This board sounds like a QANON meeting sometimes.
Kidd is more likely to be fired than hired.
Dumont will get a real GM in the summer. AD probably won't be traded until then.
Dumont was a moron for trusting Nico, but he is a smart business man. And he doesn't have Cuban's manchild ego.
He deserves a chance to prove himself. I think him showing patience to wait to the summer is mature and smart.
I think what you are saying here is WAY more likely than the Mavs rushing to grab one of these piles of junk being proposed. I agree with you -- maybe just wishing, but I've been around the block a bit -- that Dumont HAS TO be smart enough to get a smart guy and a strong return before making a franchise defining trade.
He screwed up badly in trusting Nico the Idiot, but I think that will make him cautious rather than hasty. And probably have him waiting until he has hired the expert. (I am not convinced that AD has such limited value, in the right hands. Envision what Presti can do in getting the return!)
Posts: 1,364
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 401 in 304 posts
Likes Given: 1,321
Likes Received: 401 in 304 posts
Likes Given: 1,321
Joined: Feb 2025
(01-05-2026, 07:22 PM)windjc Wrote: Kidd is not going to be GM. This board sounds like a QANON meeting sometimes.
Kidd is more likely to be fired than hired.
Dumont will get a real GM in the summer. AD probably won't be traded until then.
Dumont was a moron for trusting Nico, but he is a smart business man. And he doesn't have Cuban's manchild ego.
He deserves a chance to prove himself. I think him showing patience to wait to the summer is mature and smart.
Next Dumont move will decide his tenure here... Make Harrison the scapegoat worked well but he was in the trade too.
One mistake and he will be out too.
No mercy from the fanbase.
Play your game Patrick.
Posts: 1,020
Threads: 7
Likes Received: 407 in 225 posts
Likes Given: 31
Likes Received: 407 in 225 posts
Likes Given: 31
Joined: Nov 2019
In the back of my mind I would like to see Dumont give Cuban the finger...
Just for the entertainment perspective:
Hire Donnie Nelson
I would genuinely be interested in seeing how Donnie could handle a front office without having his hands tied being a marionette.
I also wonder if part of the reason he is not considered more is because there is a buyout provision preventing him from working for the duration of the contract rather than a true indictment of him as a gm/PoBO
Posts: 1,364
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 401 in 304 posts
Likes Given: 1,321
Likes Received: 401 in 304 posts
Likes Given: 1,321
Joined: Feb 2025
I don't see they make major moves without a GM... So Gafford and Klay traded. No more.
Posts: 2,469
Threads: 2
Likes Received: 1,365 in 815 posts
Likes Given: 423
Likes Received: 1,365 in 815 posts
Likes Given: 423
Joined: Sep 2019
Kidd as GM? Seriously? That would be a clown show. It would be hard to be a fan.
|