Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARTICLES & PODS: ROSTER OVERHAUL NEEDED
(07-05-2021, 09:07 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: probably 2-3 1sts and matching salary

Would you give that for Ben Simmons?
Like Reply
(07-05-2021, 09:50 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Would you give that for Ben Simmons?

I am really high on Simmons. Not as high on Lavine as others. Looking at recent rumors the 76ers rejected Brogdon + 1st. Let´s say Brogdon is worth two 1sts. That means the 76ers are asking for more than three 1sts (just talking about value, looks like they actually want a star level guard).
Overall Simmons for 2-3 1sts is a no brainer for me. In the Mavs case I would do it as well. But only if KP is outgoing in the same trade. Would require a 3rd or even 4th team. Simmons is a unique talent and I would like to have some capspace to build around Luka/Simmons.
Like Reply
(07-05-2021, 10:13 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I am really high on Simmons. Not as high on Lavine as others. Looking at recent rumors the 76ers rejected Brogdon + 1st. Let´s say Brogdon is worth two 1sts. That means the 76ers are asking for more than three 1sts (just talking about value, looks like they actually want a star level guard).
Overall Simmons for 2-3 1sts is a no brainer for me. In the Mavs case I would do it as well. But only if KP is outgoing in the same trade. Would require a 3rd or even 4th team. Simmons is a unique talent and I would like to have some capspace to build around Luka/Simmons.

I loved the comment by Chris Mannix: GMs around the league wish the 76ers would believe the stupid media perceptions of what Ben Simmons´ trade value is, cause they´d all like to pounce.
Like Reply
(07-05-2021, 09:11 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This reminded me of something I saw where Philly moved Ben Simmons to PF, traded Tobias Harris and brought in a starting PG.  Maybe that is Lonzo (but NO doesn't exactly need Tobias with Zion there).  Maybe that is Lowry (but TOR doesn't exactly need Tobias with Siakam there).

Unlike Collins, Harris can create his own shot and hands out 3.5 assists per game with a 2/1 A/TO ratio.  His contract runs the same length as KP's.  He can defend the position, but rebounding next to KP will be an issue.  Our cap space might help us be a facilitator here.  Having a PF who can create his own shot also takes some of the pressure off of what is required of the guard spot next to Luka.  Now "all you need" is a point of attack defender who can hit 3's (instead of those things plus a playmaker).  

I'm not sure if Philly (or Simmons) would buy into this Simmons at PF theory.  I'm also not sure how much talent has to be traded from Dallas given Harris's massive contract.  But, I thought it was interesting.

Interesting indeed.  Morey will think outside the box and will not settle on a trade.    Some of his late Houston trades (if they were really his trades) did not work out, but unlike the Mavs he has the track record of making things work in most of his trade plans.  

Getting value for Simmons where he was perceived a year ago will be challenging, but I wouldn't put it past him.  I think in a lot of cities you could rehab Simmons image if you didn't find a trade of equal value.  I just don't think Philly is one of those cities.
Like Reply
(07-05-2021, 08:25 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If you are "stuck" with Luka, KP and X as your big three, X has to play some defense.  Obviously Y and Z do also.  It points to how challenging roster building is going to be if KP isn't having a positive impact on the defensive end.  He can't cover the perimeter, so the other big has to.  If you don't want Luka covering the point of attack, then the other guard has to do it.

I think this is the biggest source of frustration for me, currently. 

For a (short) time during the '19-'20 season, I got pretty excited about building around Luka/KP because I felt that while they both had tons of work to do on the defensive end, they were actually capable of being above average defenders, and in KP's case, I thought at the time he could be GOOD on that end. I thought a lot (and wrote here a little) about how much easier it was going to be building around Luka/KP than it was to build around Nash/Dirk for that reason. 

I still think Luka is better on defense than advertised already, personally, and that he is the type to try harder and harder on that end as he learns what effect that has on winning. Maybe I'm wrong about that, idk. But, with KP, we're all just accepting that he's a minus on that end now (it's that obvious) and just dreaming up ways of building around it. YUCK. 

If Luka/KP are as hard to build around defensively as Nash/Dirk, then IMO, one of THEM needs to go, and we all know which.
Like Reply
(07-05-2021, 10:13 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Simmons is a unique talent and I would like to have some capspace to build around Luka/Simmons.

I can't believe more people aren't talking about this. 

Here's an actual difference maker who might be available at a price the Mavs can afford. 

Imagine how much easier Luka/Simmons would be to build around (especially on defense) than Luka/KP!
Like Reply
(07-05-2021, 01:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I can't believe more people aren't talking about this. 

I talk about it every time I get a chance!! 

What more do you want from me?!?!? Wink
Like Reply
Wow. I can’t believe how good the thinking in this thread is. I think our training staff has the best idea if KP can be significantly better. How much of what we see is physical AND how much of his physical challenges can be fixed. 

I also think our new MBT will not stand Pat on KP if it is not fixable. I am also pretty sure we really don’t know.
Like Reply
I was listening to Hardwood Knocks today.  It was focused on Portland and featured a writer from there.  I thought one of the more interesting things was about Trent Jr.  The local writer talking about the Trent/Powell deal said "well that was just Klutch wanting Trent Jr. in Toronto".  No idea if that is opinion or common knowledge in Portland.  Klutch also has Anunoby in Toronto.

It is really fascinating to look at the agent relationships for the Lakers.  Klutch has AD, Lebron, KCP, Harrell, THT, McLemore and Waiters.  It is hard to imagine Paul being a party to a THT offer that screws the Lakers.  Klutch has two Knicks, Noel and Robinson and a number of other names that get frequently mentioned around here including Ben Simmons, Nurkic, Lonzo (and Bledsoe) and Miles Bridges.  Remember when Trey Lyles was almost a Mav?  He's a Klutch guy also as is fellow Spur Dejounte Murray.
Like Reply
I agree with what you are saying but the player still has a say in who he signs with and for how much.
If it gets out that Klutch didn’t tell their players about offers from teams because Klutch didn’t want them to go there they will lose players and all player respect.
Like Reply
(07-05-2021, 03:20 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It is hard to imagine Paul being a party to a THT offer that screws the Lakers.  
How do you mean?
Like Reply
(07-05-2021, 08:06 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: I agree with what you are saying but the player still has a say in who he signs with and for how much.
If it gets out that Klutch didn’t tell their players about offers from teams because Klutch didn’t want them to go there they will lose players and all player respect.

Totally. 

If another team makes a formal offer to one of Klutch's clients, I believe Klutch is required to pass it along to the player. There is a certain amount of sleaze in that business (not accusing Klutch), and rules are not always strictly followed, but not doing so would be a horrible business practice even if it weren't required, as you point out. If the agent has a problem with a client getting a good offer to the extent he wouldn't even pass one on, he should resign as the player's agent.

I'm a little shocked even thinking about it, lol.
Like Reply
(07-05-2021, 01:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I can't believe more people aren't talking about this. 

Here's an actual difference maker who might be available at a price the Mavs can afford. 

Imagine how much easier Luka/Simmons would be to build around (especially on defense) than Luka/KP!
Simmons is as bad on offense as KP is on defense so it wouldn't be any easier.
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 07:42 AM)Branduil Wrote: Simmons is as bad on offense as KP is on defense so it wouldn't be any easier.

Big, huge, massive disagree. 

But, I respect your opinion.
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 07:44 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Big, huge, massive disagree. 

But, I respect your opinion.
I mean you can just ask Sixers fans if you want a more informed view. They'll be happy to tell you all about it.

Or you can just watch his "performance" vs the Hawks I guess, but why torture yourself.
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 07:46 AM)Branduil Wrote: I mean you can just ask Sixers fans if you want a more informed view. They'll be happy to tell you all about it.

You know who Indiana fans want gone? Board darling Malcom Brogdon. Hawks fans hate board darling Clint Capella. The list goes on and on. 

As for Simmons, we've been over and over this. 

This is not a situation where I'm relying on my sense of a player from afar, or his reputation, allowing it to deceive me. That happens all the time and we're all susceptible, including me. It's why some still can't believe Porzingis is a dud, even though they just watched the truth for a full season. But in this case (Simmons), I feel like I have watched enough to understand the player. I always try to admit when I haven't. 

As I've said, I don't want Simmons as a PG, and I can absolutely understand why Philly fans are frustrated with him. He and Embiid aren't a fit, everyone has known that for years and management has been too scared to act. If the player insists on playing PG, neither he nor the Mavs will see this as a fit and you have nothing to worry about.

But, if he has the right idea about coming here to complement Luka, and if Dallas wants him, and if he's available for a price they can afford (all MASSIVE ifs) then I'm so, so, SO here for it. Huge score.
Like Reply
I love the idea of Simmons as a trade acquisition, but he is in the same category as Rudy Gobert last summer. In principle do you want that player - hell yes!
Is he really available? No
Do we really have what it would take to acquire him? Not in any sense of reality - Truth of the matter is that IF Philly wants to move Simmons to Dallas they are asking for one piece and it is NOT KP. Any 3-way deal where Dallas diverts pieces (Indy) will likely result in Dallas being cut out of the deal due to the 3rd team realizing they can get Simmons themselves and he is more valuable than the package Dallas is trying to accumulate.

Ultimately, I see Philly keeping Simmons and doing whatever they can to get a true PG to run the offense - Long term, the best case for Philly/Simmons centers on their ability to figure out how Milwaukee is making adjustments to Giannis' usage and mirror that approach (Holiday as PG/ballhandler) then go from there.
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 08:13 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I love the idea of Simmons as a trade acquisition, but he is in the same category as Rudy Gobert last summer. In principle do you want that player - hell yes!
Is he really available? No
Do we really have what it would take to acquire him? Not in any sense of reality - Truth of the matter is that IF Philly wants to move Simmons to Dallas they are asking for one piece and it is NOT KP. Any 3-way deal where Dallas diverts pieces (Indy) will likely result in Dallas being cut out of the deal due to the 3rd team realizing they can get Simmons themselves and he is more valuable than the package Dallas is trying to accumulate.

Probably correct, unfortunately.
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 07:55 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: You know who Indiana fans want gone? Board darling Malcom Brogdon. Hawks fans hate board darling Clint Capella. The list goes on and on. 

As for Simmons, we've been over and over this. 

This is not a situation where I'm relying on my sense of a player from afar, or his reputation, allowing it to deceive me. That happens all the time and we're all susceptible, including me. It's why some still can't believe Porzingis is a dud, even though they just watched the truth for a full season. But in this case (Simmons), I feel like I have watched enough to understand the player. I always try to admit when I haven't. 

As I've said, I don't want Simmons as a PG, and I can absolutely understand why Philly fans are frustrated with him. He and Embiid aren't a fit, everyone has known that for years and management has been too scared to act. If the player insists on playing PG, neither he nor the Mavs will see this as a fit and you have nothing to worry about.

But, if he has the right idea about coming here to complement Luka, and if Dallas wants him, and if he's available for a price they can afford (all MASSIVE ifs) then I'm so, so, SO here for it. Huge score.
What's the point of Simmons if he can't play PG? He literally contributes NOTHING on offense. His defense can never be good enough to make up for forcing his team to play 4 v. 5 on offense every single game.
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 09:28 AM)Branduil Wrote: What's the point of Simmons if he can't play PG? He literally contributes NOTHING on offense. His defense can never be good enough to make up for forcing his team to play 4 v. 5 on offense every single game.

Simmons is one of the best transition players in the league. Prior to his meltdown in the Hawks series he was a good finisher in the paint. Not to mention that he creates a lot of scoring opportunities for his teammates. Just needs the right supporting cast. Running a post heavy offense with a non shooting PG is a bad idea. Same for lineups that feature non shooters like Thybull and/or Howard.
Thanks to Embiid´s injury history we know that SImmons can average 18pts/10ast as the focal point of a league average offense. What we don´t know is what he can do as a small ball big. Some of us think that he would be the perfect pick and roll playmaker (more athletic Draymond). Others point out that he has never played in that kind of role and prefers to be the main ballhandler.
Like Reply