Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Sexton On the Market? | ORL Likes Hartenstein?
I like the Sexton idea where DJJ signs the 1 + 1 , followed by THJ, Hardy, 2025 FRP for Collin Sexton. In that deal I would ask for a pick in return, 2024 low 1st or early 2nd. Utah has more picks this year than they can use, and not sure Sexton (with that contract) is worth all that.

But my preference for THJ, Hardy, 2025 FRP, more than Sexton, I would prefer Caruso. That offers a route to a bit more money for DJJ (up to somewhere in the 8.5-9.0M range), creating a better avenue to keep DJJ if the TxMLE is declined.

As an alternative to those (or perhaps an addition, to the Caruso thing), I wonder if Green for Sexton would be an even swap that would have some potential. Mavs would have to add some filler salary to make the numbers work. Given the comparative salaries, it feels to me like the values would be similar.
[-] The following 4 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs
I really don't get the Sexton interest. I do think he would be a target if I was running another good team that needed some bench scoring. I think he is a pretty good player.

For the Mavs though? Mavs have limited assets and to use a few of them for a small, good salaried bench player doesn't seem smart to me. Especially one who really doesn't complement Kyrie or Luka (might fit a bit better with Luka). Sexton is also a guy who wouldn't be on a floor at end of games in a perfect world.

I am telling you Exum, Hardy and a veteran min 5th guard is good enough. Their is some risk because Hardy hasn't done it yet and Exum has injury concerns. That should be fine though. I will acknowledge many may disagree with that and they could be right. I just don't think using assets to upgrade that backup guard spot is the right way to go.

In all honesty a guy with the Jazz who I have always been lukewarm about when he was brought up often who I would like better then sexton is John Collins. I would need to do a much deeper dive and in the end his contract may just be too out of whack. I do wonder if in the right environment if he could find a similar footing as PJ. He would be your maxi replacement. May able to play super big at times too with PJ at the 3. There would be certain questions I would need answered but that could be interesting….if you could swallow the contract for a bench player
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka
@esidery
There’s an early indication that Jalen Smith will decline his $5.4 million player option with the Pacers to enter unrestricted free agency, per
@MikeAScotto
(https://hoopshype.com/lists/aggregate-20...ards-more/).

Smith was one of the NBA’s most efficient backup bigs this season averaging 9.9 points and 5.5 rebounds on an elite 68.2 TS%.

The No. 10 overall pick in the 2020 draft will likely command a strong market.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
(06-15-2024, 10:40 PM)F Gump Wrote: I like the Sexton idea where DJJ signs the 1 + 1 , followed by THJ, Hardy, 2025 FRP for Collin Sexton. In that deal I would ask for a pick in return, 2024 low 1st or early 2nd. Utah has more picks this year than they can use, and not sure Sexton (with that contract) is worth all that.

FWIW:

Sexton signed a Nike endorsement as a rookie.  He wears Kyrie 7's (it seems we always hear stories of how Nico has known the guys he's traded for/drafted for years before getting them)

His coach at Alabama was Avery Johnson

Dallas (Nico) reportedly pursued a deal for Sexton when he was RFA in the summer of 22.  We didn't have much to offer and he eventually was part of the Donovan Mitchell deal.

I have liked Utah's early 2nd as a way of inexpensively filling a roster spot while also generating some value back for our 2025 first.  The front office has done much more of this kind of value realization lately (where they exchange picks rather than just give them away).  The interesting question will be the protection on our first.  From Utah's perspective, that future pick from us is a much better trade asset than their current pick.

Sexton is not a starting guard on a good team.  The question is whether he knows that yet.  He can certainly put up numbers as a starter on a bad team.  But there comes a point in people's careers where they have to decide if they want to adapt their game to win or just take lots of shots and make lots of money.  

His downhill style fits well with how Luka and Kyrie dominate the ball and attack the basket to create.  He's also above average as the Pick and Roll ball handler.  Off the ball, he is very good from the corner (which is traditionally only 20% of his 3's) and hit 44% of his catch and shoot threes.  He would bring a lot of energy to a second unit and reduce the regular season workload on Luka and Kyrie.
(06-16-2024, 09:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: FWIW:

Sexton signed a Nike endorsement as a rookie.  He wears Kyrie 7's (it seems we always hear stories of how Nico has known the guys he's traded for/drafted for years before getting them)

His coach at Alabama was Avery Johnson

Dallas (Nico) reportedly pursued a deal for Sexton when he was RFA in the summer of 22.  We didn't have much to offer and he eventually was part of the Donovan Mitchell deal.

I have liked Utah's early 2nd as a way of inexpensively filling a roster spot while also generating some value back for our 2025 first.  The front office has done much more of this kind of value realization lately (where they exchange picks rather than just give them away).  The interesting question will be the protection on our first.  From Utah's perspective, that future pick from us is a much better trade asset than their current pick.

Sexton is not a starting guard on a good team.  The question is whether he knows that yet.  He can certainly put up numbers as a starter on a bad team.  But there comes a point in people's careers where they have to decide if they want to adapt their game to win or just take lots of shots and make lots of money.  

His downhill style fits well with how Luka and Kyrie dominate the ball and attack the basket to create.  He's also above average as the Pick and Roll ball handler.  Off the ball, he is very good from the corner (which is traditionally only 20% of his 3's) and hit 44% of his catch and shoot threes.  He would bring a lot of energy to a second unit and reduce the regular season workload on Luka and Kyrie.

That is all correct, but I am with Chicago on this one. I just can't see him playing heavy minutes in playoffs and Mavs being successful. I don't think you can play him next to Luka and Kyrie and hope for excellent defense and his salary is way too high for him to be a 10 min per game player in the playoffs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
@AndyJPuente
The Los Angeles Clippers could look to execute a sign-and-trade for DeMar DeRozan, who's due to be a free agent, if Paul George decides to walk, per @MikeAScotto
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
(06-16-2024, 10:09 AM)omahen Wrote: That is all correct, but I am with Chicago on this one. I just can't see him playing heavy minutes in playoffs and Mavs being successful. I don't think you can play him next to Luka and Kyrie and hope for excellent defense and his salary is way too high for him to be a 10 min per game player in the playoffs.

I think Sexton absolutely could play next to Luka. Kyrie is a bit more questionable, like Simons. The thing Sexton has going for him is that he plays bigger than his measurements say. 

The Utah pick intrigues me as it's a way for the Mavs to try and draft Bronny James. If we could get Sexton and Lebron this offseason we're cooking.
  • BigDirk41
@esidery
The Pelicans have shown “significant” trade interest in Jarrett Allen, per
@cclark_13
(https://nola.com/sports/pelicans/brandon...f8c5d.html).

New Orleans plans to move on from Jonas Valanciunas as he enters unrestricted free agency.
@esidery
The Nuggets have concerns Kentavious Caldwell-Pope could earn a deal in free agency similar to Bruce Brown, per
@MikeAScotto

A team flush with cap space could offer Caldwell-Pope well over $20 million annually to price out Denver.
Cowley, a beat reporter for the Chicago Bulls just released this little nugget talking about Chicago's draft night:

What remains to be seen, however, is what direction do the Bulls go? Do they prepare for DeMar DeRozan possibly leaving in free agency or if he does return — the more likely scenario — draft his heir apparent at the small forward position? Do they grab a big to replace the expected vacancy with Andre Drummond looking for a new team, as well as some youth to push starter Nikola Vucevic?

So Drummond is leaving Chicago.
@TheDunkCentral
Klay Thompson is expected to test the free agent market and seek offers elsewhere, per
@ShamsCharania

“If he does leave the Warriors, that call with Steph Curry, Draymond Green, Steve Kerr—that’s going to be the most difficult call Klay Thompson made, possibly ever.”
(06-16-2024, 11:27 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: @esidery
The Nuggets have concerns Kentavious Caldwell-Pope could earn a deal in free agency similar to Bruce Brown, per
@MikeAScotto

A team flush with cap space could offer Caldwell-Pope well over $20 million annually to price out Denver.

I predict he is back in Denver.  Seems like a story to let Denver know it is not a done deal and they will need to be competitive.    Maybe someone offers more, but if it is close he would be wise to stay in Denver.   That is the perfect spot for him.
(06-16-2024, 02:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Cowley, a beat reporter for the Chicago Bulls just released this little nugget talking about Chicago's draft night:

What remains to be seen, however, is what direction do the Bulls go? Do they prepare for DeMar DeRozan possibly leaving in free agency or if he does return — the more likely scenario — draft his heir apparent at the small forward position? Do they grab a big to replace the expected vacancy with Andre Drummond looking for a new team, as well as some youth to push starter Nikola Vucevic?

So Drummond is leaving Chicago.

I can't remember if they made a trade at the deadline, but Chicago hasn't made a trade using one of their players for several years.  Weird organization.  They appear to be happy as the 9/10 seed.   That team is not going anywhere.  I would be looking longterm and not trying to be Ok now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
@TheDunkCentral
The New Orleans Pelicans are unwilling to pay Brandon Ingram an average of $52 million annually, per @cclark_13

“Brandon Ingram has one year remaining on his contract. On July 6, he becomes eligible to sign a four-year extension worth $208 million. The Pelicans value Ingram’s talent and his down-to-earth personality, but as The Times-Picayune reported in May, the team does not have a willingness to pay him a contract worth $52 million in average annual value.”
  • From Dirk to Luka
(06-17-2024, 11:15 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: @TheDunkCentral
The New Orleans Pelicans are unwilling to pay Brandon Ingram an average of $52 million annually, per @cclark_13

“Brandon Ingram has one year remaining on his contract. On July 6, he becomes eligible to sign a four-year extension worth $208 million. The Pelicans value Ingram’s talent and his down-to-earth personality, but as The Times-Picayune reported in May, the team does not have a willingness to pay him a contract worth $52 million in average annual value.”

How the hell is he eligible for that? That sounds nuts. What's Luka making?
(06-17-2024, 11:15 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: @TheDunkCentral

Kyrie’s deal last summer may end up being a harbinger of things to come for these “stars” who are not ‘face of the league’ superstars.  In the past teams just gave out 25% and 30% max deals like Oprah gave out gifts to members of the audience.  You get a Max and You get a Max.  Many of these contracts were mistakes in retrospect.  Now the CBA severely punishes those mistakes.

One of the hardest negotiations out there will be those guys who maybe got a 25% max at the end of their rookie scale but aren’t worth the extra $15mm/year they might get in a 35% max situation.  We as fans probably know the difference between Luka and Ingram, but a team having to explain it to one of its best players will be a tough conversation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • SleepingHero
Soooo...

NOPs are looking at letting Val walk as a FA, not extend BI at a market rate (which probably means a TDL trade, if not sooner) and continue to deal with a flaky Zion who will make ~$37MM next season, but has nothing guaranteed beyond that. Looks like team chaos to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • KillerLeft
(06-16-2024, 10:14 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think Sexton absolutely could play next to Luka. Kyrie is a bit more questionable, like Simons. The thing Sexton has going for him is that he plays bigger than his measurements say. 

The Utah pick intrigues me as it's a way for the Mavs to try and draft Bronny James. If we could get Sexton and Lebron this offseason we're cooking.

The problem is Kyrie plays 40 minutes a game in the playoffs, so you have 8 minutes where Sexton makes sense on the court.  

It seems like there is thought that we can get a young score first guard (like Simons or Sexton) to boost the offense and eventually replace Kyrie.  I don't think we should be trying to find a Kyrie replacement right now.  I don't think we have the assets.  When we do look for the Kyire replacement, I don't think it should be a smaller score first guard.  In an ideal world it would be a two way wing.  That gives us a lot more options to fill in the edges.
(06-17-2024, 01:10 PM)mvossman Wrote: The problem is Kyrie plays 40 minutes a game in the playoffs, so you have 8 minutes where Sexton makes sense on the court.  

It seems like there is thought that we can get a young score first guard (like Simons or Sexton) to boost the offense and eventually replace Kyrie.  I don't think we should be trying to find a Kyrie replacement right now.  I don't think we have the assets.  When we do look for the Kyire replacement, I don't think it should be a smaller score first guard.  In an ideal world it would be a two way wing.  That gives us a lot more options to fill in the edges.

I agree with you, but just to play Devil's Advocate...

Kyire and Kleber are literally the only two real players on the roster not totally locked into Luka's timeline. Part of the reason I was so disappointed in ending up with Kyrie as Brunson's replacement (at a fairly high asset cost, no less) was his age. Now, in the short term, that has worked out really well for the Mavs, obviously, but how sure are we that Kyrie can have this sort of impact even one more time in the playoffs? Will he ever be healthy at playoff time again? This is the first time he has had a healthy, normal season in like 6-7 years. Are we feeling great about him repeating it?
(06-17-2024, 01:10 PM)mvossman Wrote: The problem is Kyrie plays 40 minutes a game in the playoffs, so you have 8 minutes where Sexton makes sense on the court.  

Kyrie is playing 40 minutes a game in the playoffs in large part because the only real back-up we have for him and Luka has given them absolutely nothing (until last game). The Mavs should be looking for someone who lets them hold Kyrie below 36--and take a few of Luka's minutes as well. We have the two best closers in the game but running them both over 40 minutes a game means they not the best closers they could be every night due to tired legs.

No idea if Sexton is the answer, but whoever is the answer, you don't want to think about how many minutes have been available this playoff run but rather how many minutes you want him to be able to take from Lukai without completely cratering our offense.