Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Sexton On the Market? | ORL Likes Hartenstein?
(06-15-2024, 01:29 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Another strawman. Do you have anything else to offer or should I just put you on ignore?

Probably the right call.
(06-15-2024, 02:24 AM)Luka77 Wrote: Im going to say this again, the easiest way for the Mavs to improve this offseason is for them to add a combo guard.  There are no two way guards that are available for what the Mavs have to offer.

The Mavs aren't that far from winning a championship.  Right now I believe many of these combo guards will be under valued.  A undervalued player is something the Mavs will have to find inorder to upgrade this roster.

If someone has better options please list them.

We have to look at the price we are paying. 

In my opinion Mavs should look to work on ''cheap deals''. 

Simons isn't a bad idea, but i think we saw last seasons that Blazers are terrible team to negotiate and they would demand FRP assets to move from the players. Even players with less market than Simons.

In my opinion 2 players who could be on the market are Zach Lavine and Wiggins, with Lavine probably more likely to get.

Neither are perfect, but if the price is just a salary dump, as they were some reports for Lavine few weeks ago, than all in for that deal.

Hardaway + Green + Kleber (maybe SRP) for Lavine is the deal i would do it immidiatly.

Lively - Gafford
PJ - DJJ - Omax
Luka - Lawson
Lavine - Hardy
Kyrie - Exum

In the offense Lavine fits the Mavs perfect as a 3 scoring option. I think he is also the best % on catch and shoot 3. Do not forget he also played only half of the season with the proper PG the whole career, while in the Mavs he would have 2 best creators in the world.

On the defense we would lose something, but nothing that can't be signed for vet min. contracts.

Green is a solid defender, but after the season he had, he isn't worth more than 4-5 mil. per season. I know that he was drafted by the Mavs, but he isn't elite defender who could bring you a tittle. While Maxi is just too injury prone so you can't really count on him anymore.

I would say both of them are welcome back here, but on a different contract, so if opportunity to get a player like Lavine with just a salary dump, we should do it immidiatly.
(06-15-2024, 12:38 AM)mvossman Wrote: They got to the finals because of their defense. The PJ comparisons have to stop. There was way more reason to believe PJ defense would improve and his level of improvement was an outlier.

The Mavs got to the finals with their defense while struggling almost ever step of the way on offense.  Something that you forget to qualify in your excellent analysis.  Do you think that is repeatable next season?

If the offense next season is Luka-Kyrie or bust, I guarantee the Mavs won't be winning the finals next season.
(06-15-2024, 02:54 PM)Luka77 Wrote: The Mavs got to the finals with their defense and by struggling almost ever step of the way on offense.  Something that you forget to qualify in your excellent analysis.  Do you think that is repeated able next season?

What is there to qualify?  They beat 3 of the top 4 seeds in the west and it never even went to 7 games. And that was with Luka clearly struggling with injuries.  Lively will only get better and the team is young in general. It’s totally repeatable.
The conversation about Anfernee Simons is boring, because he's not available. And not a good fit in Dallas. And the Mavs don't have the right assets that POR would be seeking. And his contract is way too big for what role he might fill, and would also bust the Mavs payroll and make it impossible.

As unexciting as it feels, the Mavs need to be targeting players making MLE +/- 20%, in particular those whose contracts might be a bargain. The best bargains are players priced in that modest range seen as essentially one-way players, especially defense (because that's the less rewarded end of the court).

Simons might be worth $27M a year if he was a two-way player. But he's not. He is horrendous on defense. Hard pass.
[-] The following 5 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, mvossman, SleepingHero
THJ, Hardy, 2025 FRP for Collin Sexton

DJJ signs the 1 + 1

Guards: Luka, Kai, Sexton

Wings: Pj, DJJ, Green, Maxi, Omax

Bigs: Lively, Gafford

This seems like a better team structure. Sexton makes sense as well. He plays hard. He could make a jump on defense like PJ. He’s 25 and fits our timeline
(06-15-2024, 01:39 PM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: Hardaway + Green + Kleber (maybe SRP) for Lavine is the deal i would do it immidiatly.

No thanks.

Lavine is available because he is so extremely overpaid. He's not worth $46M a year, and everything in his game is bad and trending downward. Offense? Was not a 20 ppg player last season, and poor shooting on 3s. Defense is not good. Lots of injuries (he played 25 games).

Oh, and even with all of the players you named, that's still not enough outgoing salary to be a trade match. I suspect you'd also lose DJJ, who wouldn't want to be the one sacrificing for everyone else to get rich.

CHI would love to find a taker, because his contract is sooooooooo bad. Count me out, way out.
[-] The following 5 users Like F Gump's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, michaeltex, RGP1981
(06-15-2024, 02:59 PM)mvossman Wrote: What is there to qualify?  They beat 3 of the top 4 seeds in the west and it never even went to 7 games. And that was with Luka clearly struggling with injuries.  Lively will only get better and the team is young in general. It’s totally repeatable.

LIke I have been saying the Mavs defense isn't what has kept them from being ahead in the finals or winning other playoff games.  Its been their offense.  Go back and review the playoffs for your self.

Moreover, Yes every team in the league will stay stagnate while only the Mavs get better.  OKC will not grow one bit.  A 22 y.o Anthony Edwards with a much better roster than what Luka currently has, will not get any better.  Denver with a three time MVP and a better roster won't get any better either.  They will all stay the same while our Mavs will rule.

If the Mavs don't get better in the off season they will get left behind.  I believe in organic growth of Lively, Omax, and Hardy as much as the next.  But asking Lively to shoot 35% from three next season while Omax and Hardy become starter caliber players is asking too much.  This roster won't take that level of leaps next season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luka77's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
(06-15-2024, 03:18 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: THJ, Hardy, 2025 FRP for Collin Sexton

DJJ signs the 1 + 1

This seems like a better team structure. Sexton makes sense as well. He plays hard. He could make a jump on defense like PJ. He’s 25 and fits our timeline

Wait.  We are going to talk about someone who might actually be available.  I was hoping we might go another 5-6 pages of Simons stuff.  

IF you could guarantee the 1 + 1 for DJJ, I think this is worth discussing.  I think you've probably nailed the price (Hardy plus 2025).  It makes sense from an agent standpoint (Klutch represents both Hardy and Sexton).  Hardy needs PT (which he would get in Utah) to get the contract he's going to want a year from now.  Sexton is extension eligible this summer.  

An undersized O-Only guard isn't ideal, but he's a ton better than what we get from THJ.  I do think we need a bit more bench offense.  If we were a middle of the pack team, I might wait for Hardy.  But, we aren't a middle of the pack team.  We need every inch we can get (in a game of inches).

He makes too much money to be a sixth man.  We have to start thinking of what payroll looks like when Luka's 35% kicks in (and Lively gets paid).  Would he extend at the same price as he's making now or same price, but declining?  Who is going to pay him more (he doesn't start every game in Utah).  Also, a good sixth man will make $17mm-$18mm in the not too distant future.  I think I'd rather someone with a little more size who won't be hunted so easily.  But for what we are giving up (and what we get to keep), I could live with this.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, mvossman, Smitty
(06-15-2024, 03:38 PM)Luka77 Wrote: LIke I have been saying the Mavs defense isn't what has kept them from being ahead in the finals or winning other playoff games.  Its been their offense.  Go back and review the playoffs for your self.

Moreover, Yes every team in the league will stay stagnate while only the Mavs get better.  OKC will not grow one bit.  A 22 y.o Anthony Edwards with a much better roster than what Luka currently has, will not get any better.  Denver with a three time MVP and a better roster won't get any better either.  They will all stay the same while our Mavs will rule.

If the Mavs don't get better in the off season they will get left behind.  I believe in organic growth of Lively, Omax, and Hardy as much as the next.  But asking Lively to shoot 35% from three next season while Omax and Hardy become starter caliber players is asking too much.  This roster won't take that level of leaps next season.

More straw men. Ignore.
(06-15-2024, 03:56 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Wait.  We are going to talk about someone who might actually be available.  I was hoping we might go another 5-6 pages of Simons stuff.  

IF you could guarantee the 1 + 1 for DJJ, I think this is worth discussing.  I think you've probably nailed the price (Hardy plus 2025).  It makes sense from an agent standpoint (Klutch represents both Hardy and Sexton).  Hardy needs PT (which he would get in Utah) to get the contract he's going to want a year from now.  Sexton is extension eligible this summer.  

An undersized O-Only guard isn't ideal, but he's a ton better than what we get from THJ.  I do think we need a bit more bench offense.  If we were a middle of the pack team, I might wait for Hardy.  But, we aren't a middle of the pack team.  We need every inch we can get (in a game of inches).

He makes too much money to be a sixth man.  We have to start thinking of what payroll looks like when Luka's 35% kicks in (and Lively gets paid).  Would he extend at the same price as he's making now or same price, but declining?  Who is going to pay him more (he doesn't start every game in Utah).  Also, a good sixth man will make $17mm-$18mm in the not too distant future.  I think I'd rather someone with a little more size who won't be hunted so easily.  But for what we are giving up (and what we get to keep), I could live with this.
Given that Sexton makes 19.2M in his last year, I´m curious what you and Forrest think he´ll earn on that next extension. Since you are clearly of the opinion that Simons is an overpaid one way player at 25M. 

You think Klutch will accept that Sexton´s next contract will stay flat or decrease with the largest media deal in NBA history looming?

Oh wait I get it Sexton is a better defensive player than Simons therefore he is worth the $25M?

Career defensive on/off -18.2 for Sexton and -4.5 for Simons without their rookie seasons.

Also what makes Sexton more available and cheaper than Simons anyway? Is it Danny Ainge´s soft reputation that led you to this conclusion or the incredible depth Utah has at the PG position? Huh
(06-15-2024, 03:56 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Wait.  We are going to talk about someone who might actually be available.  I was hoping we might go another 5-6 pages of Simons stuff.  

My thinking is we treat it as a two year buy. We wait on an extension or possibly let him walk. I think it’s more of a short term luxury fit, but could morph into a long term fit

The roster gets extremely expensive in a few years when Luka and Lively’s extensions kick in. While we have this competitive advantage i think we need to capitalize. We did not do this while Luka was on his rookie deal 

Sexton would be a similar player to Gafford. More of an innings eating regular season player that maybe gets less burn in the playoffs. We can afford to do this at the moment, but long term we will have to get creative. Sexton would reduce wear and tear on Luka and Kyrie and that’s the real need
@esidery
Rival executives believe the Jazz could make Collin Sexton available on the trade market this offseason, per
@MikeAScotto
(https://hoopshype.com/lists/aggregate-20...ards-more/).

Sexton averaged 18.7 points and 4.9 assists while shooting 39.4% on threes this season.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Scotto Free Agency News:

Heading into free agency, there’s also concern that guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope could decline his $15.44 million player option, enter unrestricted free agency, and land a potential short-term offer for a higher salary annually comparable to Bruce Brown’s previous two-year, $45 million deal with Indiana.

There’s also an early belief that forward Jalen Smith will decline his $5.4 million player option and enter unrestricted free agency this summer, league sources told HoopsHype. No decision has been formally decided, but this has been the early indication.

Speaking of Bartelstein clients, free agent Royce O’Neale is expected to re-sign with Phoenix and is projected to earn roughly $10 million annually. The Suns have O’Neale’s Bird Rights heading into free agency, allowing them to go over the cap to retain him.

The Orlando Magic is another team to monitor for Hartenstein, according to rival NBA executives who spoke with HoopsHype.

Utah has a surplus of draft picks in this class that rival executives believe are readily available on the trade market as the Jazz attempt to upgrade the roster. There’s also a belief from rival executives who spoke with HoopsHype that guards Collin Sexton and Jordan Clarkson could become available on the trade market.
Rival NBA executives who spoke with HoopsHype expect Kevin Huerter to be available again on the trade market this summer along with forward Harrison Barnes as the Sacramento Kings look to upgrade their roster in the vaunted Western Conference.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
(06-15-2024, 03:56 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Also, a good sixth man will make $17mm-$18mm in the not too distant future.  I think I'd rather someone with a little more size who won't be hunted so easily.  But for what we are giving up (and what we get to keep), I could live with this.

Height w/o shoes, draft combine measurements.

Collin Sexton: 6' 0.5"
Coby White: 6' 3.50"
Jrue Holiday: 6' 3.25"
Derrick White: 6' 3.25"
The Bruce brown talk is going to be really interesting this summer. He played a key role on a championship team. He wasn’t very good the second half of the season and is overpaid to his talent and only has one year left on his contract. Plus, Toronto probably is going to want something pretty good in return. I just have trouble seeing them getting something g really good back. Especially with his contract.

Still Brown can still be a real good player on the right team

https://x.com/HarrisonWind/status/1802109003746377789
(06-15-2024, 05:55 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: My thinking is we treat it as a two year buy. We wait on an extension or possibly let him walk. I think it’s more of a short term luxury fit, but could morph into a long term fit

The roster is kind of interesting after the next couple of seasons.  If you put a two year guy in the place of THJ/Hardy, then at the end of two years your roster is basically Luka, Green, Lively and OMax. You've effectively carried THJ's salary over for an extra year and you avoided dealing with Hardy as a RFA.

In addition to those four, Kyrie may have rejected his PO and extended the summer before.  You might have signed DJJ the summer before (if you assume he stayed for a 1 + 1 this summer).  So, maybe you have six guys (seven if you assume they used EB to keep Exum also).

Other than that you'd have Sexton, PJ, Gafford and Maxi as UFA the summer of 2026.  Sexton is the only one who is extension eligible.  That kind of expiring flexibility could be exciting in terms of what it might become in a trade package (if you can stay under the second apron and aggregate).  It is also scary as that is a lot of mouths to feed.  

Hardy and 2025 seems like a high price for a two year rental.  I think whatever you do with THJ/2025/+ it needs to have an eye toward the roster for longer than that.  Sexton is only 25, so that fits.  He's a bit of a poor man's Kyrie should that turn wonky for some reason.  I can certainly envision a better player than Sexton being the target for this particular move.  But, the path to that better player isn't clear without a step backwards elsewhere on the roster.  But here, you still have everyone who has been important to this run and you are directly upgrading the THJ/Hardy role.
(06-15-2024, 03:18 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: THJ, Hardy, 2025 FRP for Collin Sexton

DJJ signs the 1 + 1

I really really like Sexton. At least a lot more than Simon's. In terms of cost contract wise it's much more stomachable and easy to trade for. 

He brings the offensive spark plug that the others were wanting over Simons and can still defend. Plus he fits that mold of energy guys like Gafford and Lively play with which our  team really seems to respond to. 

My first choice is a 2-way wing first. Wiggins, Avdija, PG13, heck even Klay. But if we can't really find a way to swing it then Sexton seems like a more reasonable choice over someone like Simons.
I love Lively. Period. Full stop.

However, the Mavs could use more offense. Let's say Memphis wanted to get ahead of Jaren Jackson Jr.'s contract extension in two years. Would you do...

Lively, Green, Hardy, Kleber, THJ 2025 unprotected
for
JJJ and Smart

Part of me says yes. Another part of me thinks Lively could have JJJ's offensive game in a year or two.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • Reunion Mav
(06-15-2024, 09:32 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: I love Lively. Period. Full stop.

However, the Mavs could use more offense. Let's say Memphis wanted to get ahead of Jaren Jackson Jr.'s contract extension in two years. Would you do...

Lively, Green, Hardy, Kleber, THJ 2025 unprotected
for
JJJ and Smart

Part of me says yes. Another part of me thinks Lively could have JJJ's offensive game in a year or two.

No shot. Lively is special. I'm not swapping him out for JJJ.

Now if we can conjure up another deal for JJJ that doesn't involve Luka Kyrie or Lively then I'm all ears.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, KillerLeft, michaeltex