Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Hartenstein to get 100M?| Cavs Want to Keep Core 4?
(05-16-2024, 07:57 AM)Luka77 Wrote: PG/SG-Anthony Simon's.  I think you need a bucket getter in this role to run the bench offense not someone like Caruso or Daniel's.  I trade THJ, Hardy, Powell and 25' first for this.  Simon's can eventually take over if their is any Kyrie slippage of play.
SF/PF-would love Eason but I think OMax and DJJ if he resigns take this role.  I don't think the Mavs have assests to trade for Eason esp. after trading for Simons.
PF/C-Jalen Smith.  The Mavs need a young Maxi replacement to run a 5 out offense and this is the only guy I think that could be available and cheap for the Mavs.

Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Wrote:The holes in this roster are:
- *SF/PF* DJJ upgrade (keep DJJ in backup role)
- *PF/C* Maxi upgrade (dump Maxi)
- *PG/SG* Exum upgrade (keep Exum in backup role)
Players who need to be gone:
- THJ (this isn't going to end well)
- Powell (only if not needed in 15th spot on bench or a trade)
Players who could be used as assets
- Expiring THJ
- Green (base year, probably doesn't make sense)
- Hardy (only if the deal is right)
- OMax (only if the deal is right)
- Powell
- Lawson
- Morris
13 man roster:
- Luka, *PG/SG*, Exum
- Kyrie, Green, Hardy
- *SF/PF*, DJJ, OMax
- PJ, *PF/C*
- Lively, Gafford
That's 13 man roster.  Ideas on the targets for the 3 spots?
- *PG/SG* - ???
- *SF/PF* - ???
- *PF/C* - ???

PG/SG-Anthony Simons.  I like it, but what about defense?  That's why I went with either Caruso or D.Daniels, to balance out Luka/Kyrie on defense.
SF/PF-I really wonder Eason's value right now.  He's buried on the roster and barely played this year.  I would MUCH rather spend the assets here.  Also, GG Jackson is going to be a problem.
PF/C-I'm good with Jalen Smith, but can he play the 5?
Like Reply
The most fun thing about all this is that I trust Nico and company to find a good fit
Never had such confidence in the front office
[-] The following 5 users Like Jym's post:
  • Arioch, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Lukedoncic, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 01:02 AM)F Gump Wrote: I think you're sleeping on Exum. There's a lot of recency bias on him in these discussions (not just you), and I am in the opposite camp. It wasn't so long ago that he was seen here as the IDEAL 3rd guard to rotate with Luka and Kyrie, because of his skills, his improved shooting, and his defense.

He got injured. While he's healed enough to play, I am guessing he's still a bit hobbled, impacting his effectiveness and shooting in the moment. And now he's seen as yesterdays news, readily discardable.

(05-17-2024, 01:13 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’m with FGump on Exum. I saw enough this year not to give up yet. What’s wrong with him might be very fixable. What’s good about him has proven to be hard for the Mavericks to find. In order to have a good team, there will need to be one or two rotation players on minimum contracts, and he represents one of their better chances at that for next season.

I think you guys are misunderstanding my stance. I agree with you that Exum showed good things before he got injured... and I'm not letting recency bias make up my mind.

My point is this.... if the Mavericks get Caruso as well as retain DJJ and Green... then with Caruso + DJJ + Green on the roster, is Exum still needed? Or does he then become surplus to requirements because Caruso, DJJ and Green already give you what he can or might?

I think surplus, because a well-rounded team needs other things too, such as, a shooter with off-ball movement who can hold his own against someone in the same position on defense. Options are nice.
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 01:06 PM)Jym Wrote: The most fun thing about all this is that I trust Nico and company to find a good fit
Never had such confidence in the front office

I feel way better about what they might do than I did a year ago, but mistakes will still be made.  They did go with Grant Williams instead of PJ to begin with (prolly because one was a pick swap and the other was a first) and we came very close to having Kuz instead of PJ.
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 01:41 PM)mvossman Wrote: and we came very close to having Kuz instead of PJ.

Yikes...don't remind me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 01:41 PM)mvossman Wrote: I feel way better about what they might do than I did a year ago, but mistakes will still be made.  They did go with Grant Williams instead of PJ to begin with (prolly because one was a pick swap and the other was a first) and we came very close to having Kuz instead of PJ.

Don’t forget Ayton instead of Lively. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.

The moves you don’t make!
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 01:41 PM)mvossman Wrote:  and we came very close to having Kuz instead of PJ.

yeah that part is certainly scary
basically a taller THJ that's even more inconsistent
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 01:46 PM)Smitty Wrote: Don’t forget Ayton instead of Lively. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.

I can't remember.  Did we have an offer on the table for Ayton?  I thought the potential trade was after the draft, and it was basically a salary dump by Mavs that died because they wouldn't take McGee, right?.  I think we would have had both Ayton and Lively (Timmy was definitely part of the outgoing).
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 01:51 PM)mvossman Wrote: I can't remember.  Did we have an offer on the table for Ayton?  I thought the potential trade was after the draft, and it was basically a salary dump by Mavs that died because they wouldn't take McGee, right?.  I think we would have had both Ayton and Lively (Timmy was definitely part of the outgoing).

There were a lot of different reports.

BREAKING: Rumors are circulating about a trade that would send Deandre Ayton to the Mavs for Tim Hardaway Jr., Javale McGee, Josh Green and the 10th overall pick.

NBA sources believes the Dallas Mavericks are a ‘likely’ landing spot for Deandre Ayton, per @EricPincus

“The Suns need depth. I can see them getting Tim Hardaway Jr., JaVale [McGee] back, Josh Green and No. 10,”

Marc Stein reports that on draft night the Mavs offered the Suns a package of Tim Hardaway Jr., Richaun Holmes, & JaVale McGee for Deandre Ayton, but Phoenix did not want to take on JaVale McGee.

A source said talks could resume later in the future.

Either way. We avoided the Ayton nightmare thanks to the Suns saying no.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 01:53 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I would rather have Hardaway, personally, but I know that’s not a conversation anyone is interested in having. I have resigned myself to the idea that we are watching Hardaway’s final games in Dallas during this postseason.

Si senor! You are unequivocally 100% correct. No more THJ, please. THJ es no bueno. No conversation and such like es necessary.

Also, just no more Dwight Powell. I'm going to throw up if he's on the roster next season.

The Mavs need to be serious contenders and soon. THJ and Dwight Powell are not players that serious basketball teams entertain. The only reason I can think of for having them on the roster is if you want to burden Luka with the unnecessarily impossible challenge of trying to win a title with those 2 dopes playing substantial minutes. And Luka is the kind of guy who will accept such a challenge... but I hope that the Mavs FO doesn't allow it.
[-] The following 2 users Like RGP1981's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 01:46 PM)Smitty Wrote: Don’t forget Ayton instead of Lively. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.

From the great philosopher, Garth Brooks:

"Sometimes God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers"
Like Reply
Re: THJ's next contract: it will be whatever his new Chinese employers are willing to pay him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 01:46 PM)Smitty Wrote: Don’t forget Ayton instead of Lively.

GROSS!

Come on, guys, this is a time for celebration and enjoying the team, not HORROR!
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 02:08 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: Si senor! You are unequivocally 100% correct. No more THJ, please. THJ es no bueno. No conversation and such like es necessary.

Also, just no more Dwight Powell. I'm going to throw up if he's on the roster next season.

The Mavs need to be serious contenders and soon. THJ and Dwight Powell are not players that serious basketball teams entertain. The only reason I can think of for having them on the roster is if you want to burden Luka with the unnecessarily impossible challenge of trying to win a title with those 2 dopes playing substantial minutes. And Luka is the kind of guy who will accept such a challenge... but I hope that the Mavs FO doesn't allow it.

So, let me understand. 

If Timmy and Powell were available on vet min deals, you’d hold your nose and tell them to walk?

I think what you’re claiming is that both have zero value, or maybe even negative value.

That’s a silly take.

Is that right?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 01:47 PM)Jym Wrote: yeah that part is certainly scary
basically a taller THJ that's even more inconsistent

That characterization has not founding in fact.  Yes, I'd rather PJ than Kuzma, but THJ isn't close to Kuzma.
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 02:33 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: So, let me understand. 

If Timmy and Powell were available on vet min deals, you’d hold your nose and tell them to walk?

I think what you’re claiming is that both have zero value, or maybe even negative value.

That’s a silly take.

Is that right?

I'd take either or both on vet mins.  Everyone has a tendency to pile on to their opinions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
...while we're on the subject of moves you don't make... Cappela!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 03:08 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: ...while we're on the subject of moves you don't make...  Cappela!

I am really interested to see where guys like Capela and Jonas land next year.  And if they are starters or bench guys.   Capela has another year on his contract, but he will be moved imo.
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 03:21 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am really interested to see where guys like Capela and Jonas land next year.  And if they are starters or bench guys.   Capela has another year on his contract, but he will be moved imo.

astute question.  I think Drummond proved there's about 20 mins a night you can success with a dinosaur C.  Given Capela and Jonas are at about 25 mins, IMO teams will take them on for around 20 mis, starting/bench depends on the matchup.  Where would that put them salary-wise, do you think?
Like Reply
I know we threw his name around here briefly this season, but what about Isaiah Stewart as a future Maxi replacement? 6'8, can hit the 3, tough as nails. I'm enamored by his near 7'5 wing span.

His contract is a flat 15 mil a year guaranteed for the next 4 years but the last year is a team option. I know Detroit has had interest in THJ for a minute now. That's almost a 1 for 1 contract wise so the saving's aren't huge, but maybe that deal is expanded and includes someone else like the Blazers.

THJ to DET for Stewart.

Green+#58+2025 2nd rounder to POR for Thybulle+#32

Mavs get a little shakier shooting wise (to be honest are we really losing shooting with THJ playing like he has?) but plan a bit for the future. Get a higher pick this year but still in the 2nd round so the contract doesn't have to be huge. Save almost 3 mil and can offer DJJ around 10 mil which should be more than enough.

Luka/Exum
Kyrie/Hardy/
DJJ/Thybulle/OMax/32nd pick
PJ/Maxi/Stewart/Morris
Gafford/Lively/Powell

43/3.1
40/2
10/11/2.8/1.5
15.5/11/15/2
13.3/5/4

Roughly puts the Mavs at 178 roster wise with a lot of avenues to stay under that 1st apron.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply