Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 3.65 Average
MAVS NEWS: Lively to Be Full Time Starter Next Season | Luka "Ecstatic" About Klay
(07-02-2024, 10:23 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Can someone explain how DJJ signed with LAC despite the agent kerfluffel? I'm sad to see him go, but looking forward to seeing how Marshall and Grimes integrate. Did he continue to use the old agency? Did he just represent himself? Are players required to have an agent or is it just the way it's done?

According to Cato, DJJ used his previous agency to negotiate the current terms with LAC, with Klutch waiving their commission because they didn't want to risk him waiting so long. Dan pointed out that it would be likely that DJJ would have to wait until July 11th before Klutch could negotiate on his behalf because if not, DJJ's previous agency would be getting the commission check. It turns out that was right on the money. 

Mavs also did not want to wait and needed concrete numbers for the Klay thing to happen. 

Also, there is probably a high chance that DJJ did not want to backup Klay.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • F Gump, Tyler
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 10:28 AM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: I am begging for the Mavs to add Post Splits as a piece of their offense.  The Warriors are famous for it and there’s plenty of video out there, JJ and LBJ talked at length about it back when they were podcasters and not boss (LBJ) and laborer (JJ).  

Just for a quick link watch some of this one:
https://youtu.be/nJZ0nsswx8s?si=44Bu89bBiB-YDK2Q

As you’re watching, make Lively or Gaff the screener and envision Kyrie or Klay coming off the screen.  Imagine whichever of Kyrie or Klay isn’t in the strong side action sitting above the break on the weak side.  PJ is in the weak corner, or anyone else from the Naji, Hardy, Exum, Maxi, Grimes crew.  

With all that in mind realize the scariest thing is that instead of Draymond or Kuminga or Looney in the post…it’s Luka Doncic.  

Now, defend that.

I wish I could like this post 10 times.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
  • KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Andy Bailey (@AndrewDBailey)
Net 2023-24 estimated wins added (combined 2023-24 EW added minus combined 2023-24 EW lost) so far this offseason:

Thunder: +13.4
76ers: +8.7
Pistons, Magic: +6.0
Warriors: -6.2
Nuggets: -6.9
Nets: -8.3

Feels like I missed some moves this offseason, so let me know!

[Image: 1808155170385416619_0.jpg?ex=668572a2&is...eight=1514]
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 10:56 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Andy Bailey (@AndrewDBailey)
Net 2023-24 estimated wins added (combined 2023-24 EW added minus combined 2023-24 EW lost) so far this offseason:

Thunder: +13.4
76ers: +8.7
Pistons, Magic: +6.0
Warriors: -6.2
Nuggets: -6.9
Nets: -8.3

Feels like I missed some moves this offseason, so let me know!

[Image: 1808155170385416619_0.jpg?ex=668572a2&is...eight=1514]

If I'm understanding this correctly then Wendell Moore must be a basketball god for Detroit.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Does this mean OKC projects to be a 70-win team next season?

I can buy PHL and DAL in the mid-50s for wins, but injuries and scheduling make topping even 60 wins a challenge now days.
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 11:05 AM)Jmaciscool Wrote: If I'm understanding this correctly then Wendell Moore must be a basketball god for Detroit.

Looks pretty meaningless.
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 11:30 AM)speedkilz88 Wrote: Looks pretty meaningless.

The joke is that THJ and Tobias Harris are that bad, that for Detroit to be so high, Wendell Moore has to be the next coming of Michael Jordan.
  • DallasMaverick, Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 11:08 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Does this mean OKC projects to be a 70-win team next season?

I can buy PHL and DAL in the mid-50s for wins, but injuries and scheduling make topping even 60 wins a challenge now days.

EWA is a pretty flawed stat that really overrates centers. Not sure why Bailey uses that stat vs. Win Shares which overall is more consistent. 

OKC got way better for sure. But they aren't at the 70 win team level. 

Mavs also got much better just by replacing THJ with not only a serviceable player, but an all-time shooter.
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 10:57 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @Daniel_rob27

Nico Harrison turned Josh Green, Grant Williams, Seth Curry, Dinwiddie, Finney-Smith and three first round picks into Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson, PJ Washington and Daniel Gafford.

...when 0-time All-Star Mikal Bridges cost 5 first rounders.

Build the statue.

[-] The following 4 users Like Tyler's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, JaxRyder, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
@MavsFilmRoom
“There’s a newfound belief that Dallas offers family and comfort alongside its ascendent basketball success.”

@tim_cato on the significance of signing Klay Thompson to the Mavericks franchise.
[-] The following 6 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway, From Dirk to Luka, JaxRyder, KillerLeft, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 01:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @MavsFilmRoom
“There’s a newfound belief that Dallas offers family and comfort alongside its ascendent basketball success.”

@tim_cato on the significance of signing Klay Thompson to the Mavericks franchise.

Very smart. Smart players want that. Cuban wanted the partier type big names. Those guys all want LA, Miami, NY.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
[-] The following 2 users Like audiosway's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Tyler
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 08:55 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Evan Sidery (@esidery)
The Mavericks believe Dereck Lively has the potential to become an elite defensive anchor similar to Kevin Garnett or Joakim Noah, per @espn_macmahon (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/br...0660892043).

Dallas is expected to start Lively full-time next season with Daniel Gafford moving to a bench role.

Just a word of caution on this "news" -- it does not say that this is what the MAVS have decided. Instead, it may just be reporting what fans and media think will happen.

Lively thrived in the role of coming off the bench and giving a spark. He's not the sturdiest physique on the floor. He has a smart attitude (so who starts may not matter to him). And they can adjust minutes up or down no matter who starts. So will they fix what isn't broken?
[-] The following 4 users Like F Gump's post:
  • audiosway, From Dirk to Luka, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 09:08 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Two thoughts/questions....

Is the move to a starting role just reflective of Lively's defensive strength, or does the staff feel like he's bringing more to the table offensively? For example, will he be freed to step away from the basket to take shots and not just roll down for the lob?

Secondly, there is some interest in Lively's potential as a corner 3pt weapon. I have no problem with him exploiting that skill, provided it is a consistent result. But is Lively on the perimeter really what we want? Sure it maybe opens lanes for Luka/Kyrie, but doesn't that take him away from rebounding, especially offensive rebounds that were key to a lot of the post-TDL success last season?

Thank you. Agree 100%.  We get wrapped up in lusting for players who can do everything, which takes them away from where they make the greatest impact. So many C's want to develop skills to play the perimeter, and they drift. And we ooh and aah at the skills. But do we want the world's tallest SG or the world's best interior dominance in a big man?

I like the Tyson Chandler example - he would hit his one to two shots a game from the elbow, which would allow him to impact how he was defended as he set screens. And then he would pound the rim. That's what they have been teaching Lively (and I suspect Gafford will end up in that school as well).
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Chicagojk, michaeltex
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 02:34 PM)F Gump Wrote: Thank you. Agree 100%.  We get wrapped up in lusting for players who can do everything, which takes them away from where they make the greatest impact. So many C's want to develop skills to play the perimeter, and they drift. And we ooh and aah at the skills. But do we want the world's tallest SG or the world's best interior dominance in a big man?

I like the Tyson Chandler example - he would hit his one to two shots a game from the elbow, which would allow him to impact how he was defended as he set screens. And then he would pound the rim. That's what they have been teaching Lively (and I suspect Gafford will end up in that school as well).

If we run the post up split motion offense i'd love to see Lively in the post with the possibility of going baseline with his speed or going  straight into the pick and roll with the ball handler.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JaxRyder's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 02:34 PM)F Gump Wrote: Thank you. Agree 100%.  We get wrapped up in lusting for players who can do everything, which takes them away from where they make the greatest impact. So many C's want to develop skills to play the perimeter, and they drift. And we ooh and aah at the skills. But do we want the world's tallest SG or the world's best interior dominance in a big man?

I didn't realize it at the time, but after rewatching a couple of games in the finals, the Mavericks already WERE trying to use Lively on the perimeter, doing the modern dribble-handoff stuff. They just weren't very good at it yet., probably because they hadn't done it much all season. 

Those sets are designed to end the same way the basic 1-5 screen/roll sets we see them spam end - with Lively rolling hard to the basket. It's just that they are designed for more people to be involved in the setup, which helps put the defense in a less than favorable position to defend it. 

That's what I mean when talking about this stuff, to be clear. I don't think the Mavs should put Lively in the corner, nor do I think they will, given what we've seen them implement already, and given Harrison's comments on draft night. I don't expect them to use him like Brooke Lopez, and I don't expect them to start having him pop, either, so I do think the 3-point part of his development, while potentially helpful, is being overblown somewhat. 

What I'm interested in is his decision making and passing. I think he has shown promise in both areas, and I'm hoping the Mavs are scheming up ways to leverage his development there to greater offensive effect. That's the 5-out offense that Timpf is talking about, not the spread iso style we're used to seeing when Carlisle had Porzingis and Kleber. 

This would be a good thing, if Kidd and Lively are both up to it.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, F Gump
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 02:26 PM)F Gump Wrote: Just a word of caution on this "news" -- it does not say that this is what the MAVS have decided. Instead, it may just be reporting what fans and media think will happen.

Lively thrived in the role of coming off the bench and giving a spark. He's not the sturdiest physique on the floor. He has a smart attitude (so who starts may not matter to him). And they can adjust minutes up or down no matter who starts. So will they fix what isn't broken?

Given that Klay is going to start, it makes sense to have Lively out there to protect Luka/Kyrie/Klay defensively.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 03:27 PM)mvossman Wrote: Given that Klay is going to start, it makes sense to have Lively out there to protect Luka/Kyrie/Klay defensively.

I think I'd rather have Klay play more minutes when one of Kyrie or Luka are resting... and give Grimes more minutes when both Luka and Kyrie are on the court. Why? Well, I don't think PJW can be the POA defender, it will probably be too taxing for him in the long run and lead to injuries... and PJW's availability at PF is too important to risk it.

- Kyrie, Grimes, Luka, PJW, Lifford
- Luka/Kyrie, Grimes/Exum, Klay, PJW, Lifford
Like Reply

I agree.  I have said this several times.   I see the appeal to being a good three point shooter.   I get that.  I assume it will come eventually.   But if I was a defense, I would gladly take him standing outside the three point line launching 4-5 threes a game vs what he can do playing off of Luka constantly going to the rim (same with Gafford).

So a legit three point shot is not in one of my top 3 things for him this offseason.  I think the hidden gem is if he can do more playmaking.   He makes really nice passing.  Can he make more difficult passes?  Can you run some offense through him besides just him handing the ball off.  If he can do this, then a whole new thing opens up.  Especially with the more recent additions. 

Second, I want to see him learn ways to punish teams when they go small or when they put a small on him.  I think for the most part him and Gafford did this.   I don't expect Lively to be Senguin in the post, but can he make it almost impossible for teams to survive with a smaller non center on him?   I am sure more teams will try this.    Most teams don't have the personnel to do this.   Some of the really good teams do.

Lastly, I want to see him continue to grow as a leader.  He may be one of our top 3 leaders already.    If he is viewed that way with the rest of the team, than that is something really special.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • audiosway, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
And in the biggest Mavs news of the summer: Luka doesn’t look physically right. A chronically sore knee is a potential career or at least season killer and it can’t go on forever before giving way. At the very least, Luka is going to need to take a pretty significant in season break next year I think since he’s not going to have enough time to get fully right in the off-season. I’ve been on the fence about the last roster spot, but after seeing Luka’s obvious pain yesterday, the need is definitely point guard. The Mavs could really use a DSJ or Dinwiddie to help get the team through any potential missed time by their star. With this roster, they can’t afford to lose too much playoff position during any Luka downtime.
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 06:32 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Luka doesn’t look physically right.

i REALLY hope SLO loses next game or at least the following (hopefully against Giannis led Greece) to end international summer play for him. Sorry Luka, sorry Slovenians, but he has to get 2 months off to get his body right.

Also a very good thing about this off season: Kyrie/Grimes/Klay/Washington/Lively are good enough starters for most regular season games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Halfnir's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply