Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 3.92 Average
AROUND the NBA: LAL Hire McMillan and Brooks as Asst. Coaches | Celtics up for sale!
Now that Tatum just signed the largest contract in NBA history 5/314, they are in a small window to win another chip before they have to pay the piper. That's why the current owner is getting out now before the tsunami hits them. If my math is mathin, that's 70 million a year for Tatum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 01:18 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: True, in recent years they've actually shown a small net profit.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/2860...sociation/

...although the Operating Income number excludes some expenses, like rent payments on their arena.

...and I'd argue that a $3 billion dollar asset should produce better than a 2.5% income, if it's cash flow you're after.  And if you total the last 22 years' worth of income, it's about a 1% annual cash return.

So I'll stand by my argument that it's much more like a zero-coupon bond, or maybe raw land, than a business or a commercial building, for example.

This is one of the reasons the NBA only wants owners with strong balance sheets.  They don't want the owner counting on any cash flow while they own the franchise.

So if the business earns enough money to pay its own bills and even has a positive cashflow - what do you actually need the owners for, other than cashing out on the growth someday?
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 04:54 AM)Knutsen Wrote: So if the business earns enough money to pay its own bills and even has a positive cashflow - what do you actually need the owners for, other than cashing out on the growth someday?

In any given year, the team might lose money and need a cash infusion from the owner. 

Or perhaps the team is going to build a new arena, and the owner is financing part of it.

Stuff like that.
Like Reply
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
BREAKING: Cleveland Cavaliers All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell has agreed on a three-year, $150.3 million maximum contract extension that includes a player option for the 2027-2028 season, sources tell ESPN.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Mitchell got his extension after getting Bickerstaff canned.
Like Reply
NBA has low-key killed FA for younger superstars. No one will risk that gigantic renewal. Obviously there will always be the renew and ask trade later. But that's fair enough.
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 11:00 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: NBA has low-key killed FA for younger superstars. No one will risk that gigantic renewal. Obviously there will always be the renew and ask trade later. But that's fair enough.

Really? I think it´s the complete opposite. Mitchell, Maxey, Tatum, Anunoby, Barnes, Quickley, Hartenstein and Claxton all got huge extensions. Patrick Williams will make more money than Klay Thompson.

It has actually killed older FAs.

CP3 signed a 113/3 extension at age 33. Then he signed a freaking 90/3 extension at age 36.

From the players above 30 Harden, KCP and Harris only got two year extensions. Siakam got four years, but he just turned 30. PG13 is the one outlier and LeBron eventually. They are the only old guys that got huge long-term money. 

Klay got less than half of what CP3 got at the same age, while the cap increased by 30-40M (??) in the last six years. DeRozan will settle for the MLE. That does not happen five years ago. I think the premium salaries are now reserved for young stars from age 23 to 31-32 years old.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 07:55 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
BREAKING: Cleveland Cavaliers All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell has agreed on a three-year, $150.3 million maximum contract extension that includes a player option for the 2027-2028 season, sources tell ESPN.

Everyone has been speculating that this will mean Garland gets traded. I wonder if that’s the case or if they will try to run it back with those two?
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 12:08 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Everyone has been speculating that this will mean Garland gets traded. I wonder if that’s the case or if they will try to run it back with those two?

I still think it happens. There was so much smoke before the draft that the Cavs were going to have to choose between Mitchell and Garland. 

The real thing is, now that the Spurs have Cp3, do they still go after Garland?

Yes I know Cp3 is on his last legs, but he's good enough for at least one stop gap year for the Spurs to save their assets and get a better starting PG who is better than both CP3 and Garland.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 12:08 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Everyone has been speculating that this will mean Garland gets traded. I wonder if that’s the case or if they will try to run it back with those two?

Kyrie for Garland, straight swap.

Who says no?

Garland is 24yo, whereas Kyrie is 32yo... and his contract gives the Mavs approximately an additional $4.25M of wiggle room in each of the next 2 seasons, while being locked up for longer too. #wigglewiggle
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 12:26 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: Kyrie for Garland, straight swap.

Who says no?

Garland is 24yo, whereas Kyrie is 32yo... and his contract gives the Mavs approximately an additional $4.25M of wiggle room in each of the next 2 seasons, while being locked up for longer too. #wigglewiggle

Both teams would say no. Both of them.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, SleepingHero
Like Reply

I watched a video of Garland playing this season with Mitchell. The video went through most of the issues when both of them are on the court. It was pretty brutal, so I expect Garland to be traded as well. He needs a new start.
[-] The following 2 users Like Winter's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 12:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Both teams would say no. Both of them.

Well, I'm seeing it as a wonderful opportunity for Kyrie and the Cavs to right their past, with the way he left Cleveland... and as a wonderful opportunity for the Mavs to land Kyrie's replacement ahead of schedule and without giving up picks.

So I'd do it, for both teams.
Like Reply
[Image: GRgOG59WkAAT--G?format=jpg&name=small]

Mavs trivia. Kemba Walker played his last game in the NBA in a Mavs jersey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 11:26 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Really? I think it´s the complete opposite. Mitchell, Maxey, Tatum, Anunoby, Barnes, Quickley, Hartenstein and Claxton all got huge extensions. Patrick Williams will make more money than Klay Thompson.

It has actually killed older FAs.

CP3 signed a 113/3 extension at age 33. Then he signed a freaking 90/3 extension at age 36.

From the players above 30 Harden, KCP and Harris only got two year extensions. Siakam got four years, but he just turned 30. PG13 is the one outlier and LeBron eventually. They are the only old guys that got huge long-term money. 

Klay got less than half of what CP3 got at the same age, while the cap increased by 30-40M (??) in the last six years. DeRozan will settle for the MLE. That does not happen five years ago. I think the premium salaries are now reserved for young stars from age 23 to 31-32 years old.

Reading my post again, I worded it wrong. 
I meant going into FA, changing teams etc. The way Durant, Bosh, Lebron has done among others while their teams were left with nothing. NBA now is ensuring that Superstar/Franchise players will remain with their own team and don't go to free agency looking for a better team.
Like Reply

Who says no?

When the recruitment of Klay was going on, Kyrie was there to stress that the Mavs are a family. Trade their brother?
[-] The following 2 users Like david75090's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick
Like Reply

Who says no?

Mavs laugh and hang up the phone immediately.
Like Reply
Lebron signs 2 year max contract with "no trade" clause, and a player option for 2nd year. Lakers will be over 2nd apron when Bronny is signed.
They are either accepting that they can't do better than being a play -off team or banking on JJ being a genius.
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 01:18 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: This is one of the reasons the NBA only wants owners with strong balance sheets.  They don't want the owner counting on any cash flow while they own the franchise.

Feels like this is a lesson learned from the 1990s Dallas Mavericks ownership.
Like Reply
(Today, 09:16 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Lebron signs 2 year max contract with "no trade" clause, and a player option for 2nd year. Lakers will be over 2nd apron when Bronny is signed.
They are either accepting that they can't do better than being a play -off team or banking on JJ being a genius.

I don't think that they are accepting that they can't go better, but i think that is result what happened when you give all the power of decisions to 1 player.

I wouldn't be surprised even if i see Bronny in the starting 5 next season, because this will be a story they can sell to the media. 

Will Lebron be focused on winning or how much time will he spend on the court together with Bronny?

Do you think Lebron would accept that Bronny would mostly getting DNP? Or be in the G-league even?

I mean, it can still happen that Bronny is actually a solid player, but i think they will have a lot of family drama's there, without much of thinking of winning anything.

I'm glad that Dallas avoided such an issues.
Like Reply