Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs Rookies G-League Watch: Green, Terry, Bey & Hinton
(05-06-2021, 09:34 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Probably worth reminding some of us fantasy trading free agent signing dreamers.

Thanks for reminding me. His value is up, who do we trade him for Smile
Like Reply
(05-06-2021, 09:56 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://media.giphy.com/media/3oxRmuDvOy.../giphy.gif

In my mind Josh is now the Green Lantern 

Am I late to that party?
Like Reply
Nice to see Green get 26 minutes and Hinton get 13. You can play the youngsters more when you don't play down to the level of your competition. Curious why Bey only got 2 minutes though.
Like Reply
(05-07-2021, 11:39 PM)embellisher Wrote: Nice to see Green get 26 minutes and Hinton get 13. You can play the youngsters more when you don't play down to the level of your competition. Curious why Bey only got 2 minutes though.

He must make Sammy Dalembert look good in practice.
Like Reply
Bey is extremely raw. His effort is obviously there but even in his two minutes of garbage time you could see he's not ready to process NBA-level speed.
Like Reply
(05-06-2021, 09:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I love what we're seeing from Green the past few games, but I think he still has a very long way to go to justify taking him over Saddiq.

I don't think he'll ever pass Saddiq

Thankfully that doesn't need to be his job. Green only needs to defend well, play hard, and occasionally hit a 3. If he does that he can be a 7/8th guy on a playoff team and the pick is a success.

Would Bey have been better? Of course. Bey to me can be a starter on a playoff team. But doesn't matter now.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Great to see Hinton playing more than just 1-2 minutes. Really hope he stays with the Mavs. Just a great culture/locker room guy. Always the most energetic guy on the bench. Never sitting down. Standing. Cheering. Supporting the team.
Like Reply
(05-08-2021, 07:51 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Great to see Hinton playing more than just 1-2 minutes. Really hope he stays with the Mavs. Just a great culture/locker room guy. Always the most energetic guy on the bench. Never sitting down. Standing. Cheering. Supporting the team.
+1

Nate Hinton is the #1 cheerleader on the squad. He’s always up and dancing and cheering on the guys when they do something well. Lol he gets so much camera time for it on the broadcast. It was special to see the regular guys doing the same for him last night all 4th quarter...........I’d like to try to re-sign Bey to a multi year deal if we have a roster spot available, but Nate needs to be back on a two way deal assuming he doesn’t get a roster spot elsewhere. Good culture guy to have around
Like Reply
(05-08-2021, 02:36 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Bey to me can be a starter on a playoff team. But doesn't matter now.

Are you SURE Green can't? 

I'm not. He starts hitting those threes, and he's on his way to being the next great defender, imo. It's an "if," for sure. I'll agree with you there.
Like Reply
IMHO, there's 3 reasons why the Mavs picked Green:

1. Mavs wanted a long term back court mate for Luka , attempting to do that thru the draft isn't a bad idea.
2. Mavs wanted a guard who can check on 1s and 2s more as opposed to 3s and 4s (DFS and Kleber says Hi). 
3. Mavs wanted a safe pick but at the same time has the potential to be more.

So..
Is Saddiq a 2 who can play next to Luka in the back court? No. Even if you play him at 3, he is slow. Luka needs to be the only slow perimeter player.
Is Saddiq a 2 who can guard 1s and quick 2s? No
Is Saddiq a safe pick with potential for more? Yes. But you can see Green has more untapped potential. Green is younger, has more ceiling and he has hops and quickness that Bey doesn't have. Obviously Saddiiq's shooting would have helped. Mavs underestimated the loss of 3 point shooting from the Seth trade. If JR was hitting 3s consistently, this wouldn't have been an issue.

IMHO, even if there was so much said about Green being NBA ready at the get go, the Mavs were only hoping the case was true as an added bonus. If they wanted a legit plug and play player, they would have selected Saddig or Bane who can be role players from day 1. IMHO, the intent with Green was to have him start eventually. He may not get there, but that is the intention, rather than just get a role player.

Green was the middle ground for a home run and a safe pick. To be honest, I wanted Green more than Saddiq at draft day, but never more than Jaden McDaniels. Jaden was the pick for me at that time.

But.. Green it is.

Happy to wait for him develop and stay a Mav. 

Unless of course, he's added to the Lavine trade  Big Grin
Like Reply
(05-08-2021, 08:44 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: 1. Mavs wanted a long term back court mate for Luka , attempting to do that thru the draft isn't a bad idea.
2. Mavs wanted a guard who can check on 1s and 2s more as opposed to 3s and 4s (DFS and Kleber says Hi).

100% agree with this.
Like Reply
(05-08-2021, 01:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Are you SURE Green can't? 

I'm not. He starts hitting those threes, and he's on his way to being the next great defender, imo. It's an "if," for sure. I'll agree with you there.

I'm not sure of anything with these rookies. Like we've all been saying, this draft class played half a year of college, had no summer league, and had a rushed training camp. Needless to say they've been thrown in the fire. 

Green has improved leaps and bounds from the beginning of the year. I thought he'd be out of here by next season based on his first 2 weeks. These last 2 weeks now have me thinking he can be a rotation piece on a playoff team. Following that trajectory, starter on a playoff team should be in play right? Tongue 

IF Green can become a consistent 3pt shooter then I see no reason why he can't start. His effort, defense, and passing are already starter level. If he can just score the ball then we're onto something. 

Lets see how Green looks next season, though I'm not going to hold my breath and expect a huge leap.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-09-2021, 03:08 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: ...next season, though I'm not going to hold my breath 

please do not try to hold your breath that long!!! That can't be good for you
Like Reply
(05-09-2021, 10:06 AM)fifteenth Wrote: please do not try to hold your breath that long!!! That can't be good for you

It's why my posts read like they do.
Like Reply
(05-09-2021, 05:07 PM)cow Wrote: It's why my posts read like they do.

I miss WAB
Like Reply
(05-09-2021, 10:33 PM)fifteenth Wrote:  
I miss WAB

Yeah, what happened to him?
Like Reply
(05-09-2021, 11:07 PM)embellisher Wrote: Yeah, what happened to him?

Held his breath a long time it seems.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1391617705858510854
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...86799?s=20
Like Reply
I'm assuming this means, Tyrell worked on his game while he was out and will go for a 40pt RoddyB-ish performance in the play-offs.

And get traded in the off season along with KP for Bertrans, Hachimura, Avdjia and Washington's first.
Like Reply