Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whistleblower Podcast - NBA Corruption
(04-13-2021, 03:40 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: I’ve never heard of “Serial” but will have to check that out too. It’s one of those things where it’s been talked about for years and never gained the proper media attention. Everything was blamed on the “rogue” ref and a lid was put on any further exploration. 

That FBI agent he had a convo with has legit credibility. Most was already known, but there were a few tidbits that were new to me. Perhaps the most interesting part of it to me was the timeline of what David Stern did to combat all of it. I knew he was a scummy lawyer but wow. The NBA knew the scandal was about to come out. The NBA lawyers spoke to the justice department and just hired away the guys needed to make the investigation go away. Then negotiated new billion dollar media deals with the networks a year early(to make sure if the NBA got hurt then they would too). All in the month before the story broke. Then afterwards just money whipped lobbyists to bribe the politicians thinking of pursuing regulations. I guess that’s the 21st century American dream for every industry? 

Guys like Bill Simmons who tried to shed light on this for years just gave up. It’s Dick Bavetta who’s the biggest crook ref and he never even bet on games! Current players can’t talk about it or they face league punishment. Former players effected by it like Chris Webber have just accepted it. 

Mavs nerds followed the 06 aftermath with Cuban, but i never even thought about that 05 rockets series. It makes sense though. All the other West 1st rd series were over in 5 games. They need eyeballs for that TV dough so maybe we did get some help from the refs to beat the rockets in 05. Also interesting that the KP ejection was mentioned. Of course Cuban’s priorities are firstly with protecting his “Golden Goose”. To really try to make the big change  in the NBA he would’ve had to sue the NBA. Even a billionaire like Cuban stands no chance against the NBA and their friends(Stern, Justice Dept, media partners, other owners, lobbyists etc). He would’ve been forced to sell the franchise. So instead he chose to play their game and enact some small changes to the status quo. 

That Lakers/Kings 02 game 6 WCF is comical. Dick Bavetta at his finest

Serial Season 1 is is pretty amazing.  Season 2 is okay (less interesting subject matter imho).  Haven't dug into Season 3.

The Ref/NBA Scandal is even more difficult for smaller market teams if true.  Players know the issues with officiating and it's just another reason to pack their bags and go to more marketable franchises.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Whistleblower Podcast - NBA Corruption - by cow - 04-13-2021, 03:49 PM