Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason Knee Jerk Reactions Thread
My knee-jerk hot takes so far:

• Not sure what Delon Wright brings to the table just yet. Even though he is penciled in as an opening day starter it's not a lock that he stays there. Mavericks salaries are such that Rick can really put anyone he wants in the starting lineup without being beholden to a DAJ/Matthews situation where he *has* to start anyone.
  • Mavs may eventually give up on trying to play defense and go back to what they usually do which is offensive efficiency and a killer bench. Run and gun, score a lot and get *enough* stops to win.
  • Record-wise, ceiling to me is a low 40's win team. I think it's going to take a while for everyone to mesh but they could get it going eventually
  • Brunson may force his way into the starting lineup. He fits too perfectly with Luka offensively. I do expect them to play a fair number of minutes together regardless. 
  • Mavs have a logjam of like 7th man players. This equals really good bench and not a great starting lineup.
  • This team is going to make a trade at some point this year
  • JJB actually might return mostly to form this year. He didn't look that great last night but not terrible either. He was playing out of his mind the last couple of years before he got hurt. I actually think he will get consistent minutes in that 2nd unit.
  • Justin Jackson is a very good player. His rebounding is what's going to hold him back. I think him and DFS are fighting for that starting spot
  • THJ is going to be a good bench player and it's not impossible for him to force his way into the starting lineup at least some nights (or if there's injury). We buried him as worthless too early perhaps.
  • KP is not shooting well from 3, I am a little surprised he isn't mixing it up more. That could be just the nature of pre-season basketball that they aren't running a lot of sets for him yet. I am not sure why he doesn't shoot more mid-range. Not worried though. If anyone knows how to utilize a Dirk-like player it's Rick.
  • Opening day starting lineup (if Powell is healthy): Luka, Wright, DFS, Porzingis, Powell.
  • Eventual (regular) starting lineup prediction: Brunson, Luka, DFS, Porzingis, Powell. 
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Preseason Knee Jerk Reactions Thread - by StepBackJay - 10-12-2019, 07:11 PM
RE: Preseason Knee Jerk Reactions Thread - by Jym - 10-15-2019, 09:15 AM
RE: Preseason Knee Jerk Reactions Thread - by Jym - 10-15-2019, 10:17 AM