Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs Future Core
(10-12-2019, 04:32 PM)omahen Wrote: At this point we have PG covered with Luka and Brunson. Center is covered with KP, back up really is not an issue., always plenty of cheap options available Although I was wondering yesterday why we didn't give a shot with Bender - he would actually be cheaper than Bobi and has much higher upside.
The rest we don't have starter level talent, from what we have seen so far (Powell remains to be seen).

SG: From what was seen in this three games, Curry and Wright are back up level. Let's give them a bit more time, but it is not encouraging.
SF: JJ has the highest upside, if only he would be more aggresive. He has a killer floater and decent 3 point shot. DFS is just average on both sides of the floor (or a little bit above average defender). So he can be a decent back up, but that's it.
PF: Maxi is definitely not a starter. He was killed on the defensive end in all three games by Adams, Griffin and Freak. On the other side of the floor he is average at best. We definitely need a better player as a starter. I have some hopes that Powell and his high energy play will give a boost to everybody. 

Looking at the roster as a whole we have just too many average players paid too much money (Curry, Wright, Maxi, Powell, DFS, not counting Lee and THJ). Contenders are mostly covering back up roles by minimum salary guys. So we need to convert some of our average players for better ones, which is difficult to do without assets. So we will need to first convert some of our average players for assets and worse players, which will later enable us to upgrade the rest. 

Regarding 2020 summer, cap space is not the only way, as we were taught this summer. I see sign and trade as an option and there are definitely some interesting options available: Hield, Saric, Bogdanovic, Brown would all be interesting for us from the RFA crop. Harris and Bertans would be interesting UFA options. I really wouldn't want to put all hope in the "Freak or similar" 2021 pipedreams. If this kind of player would want to come to us, there are always ways to make it happen, no matter what kind of contracts we will have. 

I still hope they can convert Lee and/or TE into any kind of asset at the TDL. I am still deeply pissed by our summer and all the opportunities missed.

For too long the Mavs have put much emphasis on Free Agency to land a "Big Fish".  For too long they have downplayed the importance of the draft.  Last year was an exception when the made the trade for Luka and picked up Brunson in the 2nd.  But remember trading down to create more money for Dwight Howard who didn't come here?  Just one example that had left the cupboard dry before Luka arrived.  

Another thing that bothers me is not letting the market set the value of guys you retain.  Sure KP was getting the max from someone.  But I sincerely doubt DP, Maxi or even DFS were valued by other teams at the same salary they were paid.  Crippling contracts no, but it does raise questions on the FO ability to properly build around Luka/KP.   You need to get the most bang for your bucks which means productive players on rookie and value contracts.
Free Jalen Brunson!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Mavs Future Core - by madmavsgirl - 10-12-2019, 03:25 PM
RE: Mavs Future Core - by j0Shi - 10-12-2019, 03:43 PM
RE: Mavs Future Core - by madmavsgirl - 10-12-2019, 04:24 PM
RE: Mavs Future Core - by omahen - 10-12-2019, 04:32 PM
RE: Mavs Future Core - by madmavsgirl - 10-12-2019, 04:54 PM
RE: Mavs Future Core - by sterlingmallory - 10-12-2019, 03:46 PM