Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 56: Phoenix Suns (33-22) vs. Dallas Mavericks (32-23)
(02-23-2024, 09:41 AM)omahen Wrote: Offensively, Mavs are a legit problem when healthy and locked in. Luka is almost a guarantee for a 30+ (if not 40) efficient points when guarded individually. Kyrie is almost a guarantee for efficient roughly 30 points. If you double any of them, Mavs have the quality to punish any team in 4 vs 3 situations. I don't even remember when was the last time opponents were aggresively doubling Luka since Kyrie returned. Phoenix for example chose to use "fake" doubles instead, by which I mean players stepping a bit towards Luka but still keeping their player in check. Those doesn't really bother Luka. As long as the rest of the guys are buying into their limited offensive roles, I don't see much of a problem for Mavs to score a lot. I would wish that THJ would take less shots and guys like Green and PJ take a few more. Especially on nights when he is not particularly on fire, as was the case against Phoenix. This could also be solved by just playing him less minutes.

How serious Mavs are will be decided on defense. Early returns look great, although they did play only two serious teams in last 4 games (OKC and Phoneix). Luka is playing best defense of his career. Phoenix was trying to attack him (as did teams in some previous games), but he held his own and was very solid. Of course he will always have problems against skilled quick guys like Booker, but he is far from a big liability lately. Interesting enough teams don't really attack Kyrie with bigger guys or Mavs successfuly prevent him to get into such situations. Phoenix rather chose to attack Gafford when he was on the court and to an extent Maxi.

Main defensive reserve is at the point of attack, where Green is not elite. At least not yet. PJ looks much better getting around screens, for example. Really surprised by his defense so far.

Looking forward to rest of the season and what this team can do in the offseason.

Great observations, man!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
JamesConway912 - by JamesConway912 - 02-22-2024, 07:06 PM
RE: JamesConway912 - by Jym - 02-22-2024, 07:35 PM
RE: Game 56: Phoenix Suns (33-22) vs. Dallas Mavericks (32-23) - by meistermatze - 02-23-2024, 11:13 AM