Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wood You Consider Spending Over the First Apron
(06-16-2023, 11:45 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: I understand from that perspective.  That's a surface player to player comparison. 

I'm referring to building around a star combination at guard/center where the dominance comes from unstoppable offense even when their defense is average at best.   

In that respect I think Luka/Ayton would be very similar to Jokic/Murray in terms of what the Maverick coaching stuff would build their style of play and supporting roster around.  

I do agree that Luka/Kyrie is also an offensive fulcrum to build around.  I think Luka/Ayton as a pair could get to average level defensively on a roster much easier than Luka/Kyrie which always looks like it will be a massive challenge to build defense around. 

In addition there will always be Kyrie's commitment level question marks even when he's full in a contract commitment.  He may just 'retire' at any time leaving your 1/2 punch to just one.  I like the idea of an inside star and outside star a bit more and I think Ayton may still have untapped potential.    Kyrie's potential is great but its pretty much also more fully tapped.  I've read for example that Ayton's 29.2% 3 point shooting shows signs in practice that it could get much better if it were a focus and setup better.  Doubt he would ever reach Jokic level but he could be coached up to be a better defender than Jokic. 

Anyway, I don't know that Ayton is even in play of the Mavs so not to derail the OP.  The proposed CLE trade sounds great and tbqh I think with Kidd as coach Allen sounds much better as a fit to the defensive style Jason seems to be gunning for in Dallas.

Again, not really.  Joker allows you to completely forego distribution from your backcourt.  At the same time, Luka allows you to forego some rebounding from your frontcourt.  Ayton is a traditional big.  Joker is positively the most unique Big to ever bounce a basketball.  That's not "surface"; " a star combination at guard/center" is.

Unstoppable offense?  Ayton?  Really? How on Earth do you think Ayton after showing you who he is can be part of an "unstoppable offense"?  Have you watched him the last 2 years, especially the playoffs.  He was benched for Lindale.  He should have demolished the Mavs in the 2021/22 playoff series, but was pedestrian at best. 

Dude is a $20m/yr player, meaning he has over $40m dead money in his 3 year contract.  With the new CBA, do you think we can afford that while having 2 max players in Kyrie/Luka???  There's a reason PHX wants to shed Ayton and CP3...  because they have 2 max players in Booker/Durant.  So we want to be PHX in their current bad situation?  I just don't get it.
[-] The following 4 users Like Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wood You Consider Spending Over the First Apron - by Ghost of Podkolzin - 06-16-2023, 12:12 PM