Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(10-21-2022, 12:09 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Part of my problem with the Kidd hire was their were reports of him using “mind games” with players. I just find that approach, in any setting or relationship to be disingenuous and misguided. Just say what your expectations are and he’ll either meet them or not and you have your answer. It’s fine to call people out or occasionally get angry with them— those are all natural human responses to stress or disappointment. Premeditating some scheme to manipulate a response you want from another (adult) human is, frankly, a little weird. Christian Wood isn’t 5 years old. If he’s so problematic don’t trade for him. Just my opinion.

I really don't think this is something he's doing "to" Wood, I think it's something he's doing "for" Kleber. I think everyone sees the writing on the wall, but this team got really far leaning on Kleber last season and I think the locker room probably has a ton of respect for him. Kidd is probably just trying to get everyone on the same page with as little blood on the walls as possible. There might be a little bit of a "make Wood earn it" angle mixed in, but I think most of it is treating the core guys with the respect they've earned. 

Not to mention Kleber is probably 10x more comfortable with the rotation plan they wanted to use against Paul/Ayton down the stretch. 

Look, I'm not saying he handled it in exactly the right way, or that I would've done it the same way, but I think there are more plausible reasons than "mind games" for the choice he made. 

I also think if Wood keeps playing the way he did in game 1 he'll find himself finishing games really soon. Probably with the locker room's backing, which, again, is what I think Kidd's aim might be here.

(10-21-2022, 12:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote: But every indication is that CW knows exactly what is going on and is buying in to what Kidd is communicating to him.

Yeah, Wood has been exuding the right attitude, so far, which should indicate to us that there's a reasonable plan in place for everyone to feel valued and contribute. 

I think game 1 was a success, other than that horrible stretch in the 3rd. Better than I expected, actually. 

So much of life is about expectations. I keep learning that lesson over and over, each time with more nuance.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: All Things Christian Wood | 25 pts, 8 rbds in debut - by KillerLeft - 10-21-2022, 01:09 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM