Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucks game got folks' attention
(04-05-2022, 01:37 PM)omahen Wrote: The area Powell improved most this season imho is the short roll. The role critical in the system with Luka, because he gets doubled so much. That pass to the short roll is critical - the player should be able to be an instant threat. Either to shoot, drive or pass to the open man. Powell was not so good in this role at the start of the season, but has improved a lot. He can really pass it well. Maxi is still bad, as he only looks for a pass and defenders know that by now. 

Mike Tobey from Olympics was actually the best guy in this position I saw next to Luka. Real threat when he got the ball. Sure most of competition was lower level, but Luka and him torched Gobert in semifinals - he scored 23 points against France. 

As some has previously said, it was also always a mistery to me too, why KP didn't accept this role. He should really shine as he has the shot, the drive or the pass. But I agree, he must have had other ideas. 

So, which center can be better offensively while playing same or better level of defense (I always thought Powell is a great team defender)? 

Wood is a guy that is very intriguing on the offensive side for me. He can shoot and is great in PnR. Can he get his head straight? Can he be successful on a winning team? I didn't see him enough to be able to judge his defense. These are the questions I don't have the answer.

I think Holmes would be an improvement on both sides. He is not a shooter so perhaps not ideal, but he has a killing floater. 

Turner is an improvement defensively, but I am not so sure about offense. What can he do as a short roll?

Gobert is certainly better defender and better in PnR. He is not a great passer though, but mostly he is imho way overpaid and would cost too much I would be willing to pay.

This is a really great post.  I've said it on this board before but our inability to make the correct play out of the short roll was the reason we lost to the Clippers (I would actually argue Maxi/DFS/Hardaway were the main victims last year but that was also because Powell wasn't on the floor in late game situations during that series).  I'm actually curious if DFS gets thrown into that role again if we end up going ultra small at times during the playoffs.  He has added a lot of game putting the ball on the floor this year and I think would do much better when asked to handle those 4 on 3 situations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Bucks game got folks' attention - by fifteenth - 04-04-2022, 11:06 PM
RE: Bucks game got folks' attention - by Tyler - 04-05-2022, 12:00 AM
RE: Bucks game got folks' attention - by mvossman - 04-05-2022, 08:05 PM
RE: Bucks game got folks' attention - by Branduil - 04-05-2022, 10:29 AM
RE: Bucks game got folks' attention - by Mapka - 04-05-2022, 10:48 AM
RE: Bucks game got folks' attention - by Mapka - 04-05-2022, 11:16 AM
RE: Bucks game got folks' attention - by Hypermav - 04-05-2022, 11:12 AM
RE: Bucks game got folks' attention - by omahen - 04-05-2022, 01:37 PM
RE: Bucks game got folks' attention - by StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 04-05-2022, 05:35 PM
RE: Bucks game got folks' attention - by omahen - 04-05-2022, 01:48 PM
RE: Bucks game got folks' attention - by F Gump - 04-06-2022, 10:14 AM
RE: Bucks game got folks' attention - by Hogmelon - 04-06-2022, 10:43 AM
RE: Bucks game got folks' attention - by omahen - 04-06-2022, 02:26 AM
RE: Bucks game got folks' attention - by Smitty - 04-06-2022, 12:40 PM