Poll: Who will win the game? (Celts 4.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
51.85%
14 51.85%
Celtics
48.15%
13 48.15%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GAME 10: DAL (6-4) @ BOS (8-1) | 106-116 loss
(11-10-2019, 12:34 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 12:00 PM)JamesConway Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 11:51 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Powell should be traded December 15th. That is a very bad contract. It's not THJ level, but probably top 20 worst contracts in the league. As many of us stated over the summer, you spend money on stars and then use exceptions on role players. That was a boneheaded move by the Mavs.
I was one of the biggest opponents of the extension and wanted no part of it while pointing out plenty better deals other players of Powell's mold have signed. That being said, Dwight had basically no preseason due to his injury and he as a player is very dependent on other guys to set him up and team chemistry in general. I doubt he will play this subpar all season, Imo it can only get better with him. Hopefully he can turn it around quickly and get back to where he was as a rim runner.

Otherwise it's tough argueing him being a starter instead of e.g. Maxi who has shot the ball well and does his thing on defense.
Being out the preseason has zero to do with effort/defense/rebounding. Yes it effects offense quite a bit, but I honestly think his rim running is being shut down for the most part until he shows something else. Everyone has started to collapse on him in the lane and they know Luka wants to throw the lob. As far as your other comments about trading him and it's a bad contract, yes I understand the two don't really go together. We might be able to trade him in December by others thinking he's rusty from missing the preseason as you stated. If he performs like this in 2020, he'll be stuck here.

You do understand that this is the point, right?  If DP never scores a point, (in any particular game - not as an on going trend) he makes Luka more effective because DP's gravity opens space for Luka to do his thing.  That is the duty of the rim runner.  The THREAT often garners the desired result.  As long as the rim runner can finish effectively, and the ball handler can a) pass well enough to make the threat a reality if the defense doesn't cover the rim runner, and b) the ball handler is effective at finishing if you guard the rim runner, then it is a winning strategy whether or not the play ends in the ball handler making that pass.  It also pulls people in off the shooters on the perimeter.  If DP wasn't a threat, Luka wouldn't be getting as good of looks on the interior.  So... good for the D "shutting down" DP while Luka scorches them!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 10: DAL (6-3) @ BOS (7-1) | Nov 11, 6:30 pm - by Mavsfan12 - 11-11-2019, 01:40 AM