Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARTICLES & PODS: ROSTER OVERHAUL NEEDED
(07-01-2021, 09:58 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: 2). About the change from Carlisle:  One thing I haven't heard emphasized enough about this is the inconsistent rotations.  it was Rick's "be ready" random rotations...it was what everyone bragged on with their mad scientist tinkering comments, but....
a). Players didnt like it, so that makes you wonder about FAs choosing here and how much that effected them, even though some revived their career here. 
b). Some players go farther than that and they just cant perform well without structure.  So it makes you wonder about players we got, and how mich their underperforming was them sucking and how much was them just not able to deal with the lack of consistent rotation.

These are smart insights on RC's issues as a coach.

Carlisle's coaching approach was all about the ability to be flexible. As you note, most players prefer structure, and not knowing when you will play is tough.

I agree with your idea that players (particularly the non-stars) sign not only for the money, but also for the role and minutes, and the iffiness of RCs rotation and minutes would have been a negative in trying to sell players on Dallas. Unless you are willing to outbid everyone by a lot. That's not how you find bargains salary-wise. (But it wouldn't have been an issue with top talent they chased and failed to land.)

I think that also applies to his offense - the "flow" thing was all about everyone being able to figure it out on the fly. When everyone is on the same page, it is hard to handle, but it takes quite a while to get comfortable in knowing what to do and how to do it. Uncertainty in where to get shots, and what to do, can lead to subpar production, fewer minutes, or both. Structure in doing the same thing all the time so you do it well can make life easier and people more productive.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ARTICLES & PODS: ROSTER OVERHAUL NEEDED - by F Gump - 07-01-2021, 11:53 PM