Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARTICLES & PODS: ROSTER OVERHAUL NEEDED
(07-01-2021, 07:42 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Big question: Are Nico and Fin able to address the need for a consistant roster building philosophy? Are they able to come up with the kind of vision and then plan that are needed?
Good question. 

I heard a discussion on Nico's strengths in one of the other pods, as well as areas where he will have a learning curve. Sorry, I can't remember which pod. But it quoted Nico as having said he is not a talent evaluator. To the extent that he has dealt with talent, it has been almost exclusively at the star level, and he has no experience putting together a roster and knowing who guys 4-15 should be. His hiring was viewed by a number of commentators as reflecting a doubling down on the team's effort to attract star free agents, rather than an attempt to get a guy who is experienced at putting together rosters. 

Whether Fin could help in that regard remains TBD. His only front office experience is with Cuban and Donnie. Will he aggressively assert himself with a vision of his own? I don't know. I am still a little puzzled by the reported story that the scouts wanted to draft Saddiq Bey, but were overruled by Bob and his spreadsheets. If Finley was running the draft, how did that happen? Maybe he thought he had to do what Bob wanted? 

Speaking of Bob, is he still there? If he is, presumably he and his numbers will be a strong voice, for better or for worse. 

The organization, as far as we know, is going to retain Keith Grant (the capologist), and maybe whoever else has been involved in roster decisions. 

Perhaps you might say, in response to this detailing of lack of experience, that I am talking about ability to execute a plan, and you are asking about the development of the plan. We know that isn't what Nico did, and he may need some time to climb the learning curve. Fin was evidently a part of the group that operated on the non-plans that have been ongoing. 

I actually have a little hope that Kidd might be able to be instrumental in developing something new. That is not his direct experience, but as a HOF point guard, he presumably has a feel for what is needed up and down the roster to play a certain way. I am somewhat discouraged by the fact that he failed in keeping up-to-date at his previous HC stops, but it is very possible he learned a lot about that at the Lakers. Mainly, he seems to have enough of an alpha personality to assertively pursue his objectives. I don't think he'll directly buck Cubes until he is ready to leave -- after all, Cuban is his boss. But I think he would not be hesitant to bring his powers of persuasion to bear. 

TL;DR    We don't have much evidence to inspire confidence. Might have to base our hopes on a wing and a prayer to start out. Maybe it won't happen all at once, but these guys should be good learners, if they are permitted to do their jobs.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ARTICLES AND PODS: ROSTER OVERHAUL NEEDED - by mavsluvr - 07-01-2021, 12:15 PM