Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-25-2021, 09:36 PM)fifteenth Wrote: When I read Cato's framing of the same facts that we've known for a day or so I think, "maybe so, we'll see." But I don't get too discouraged. I've already had some similar thoughts and moved on a bit.
Agree, I didn't read his article as particularly encouraging or discouraging, more as a takeaway from the events of the last few days. 

Along with you, I had already had similar thoughts. For those who hoped that the shakeup heralded a new era of the Mavs being run in a professional manner with expertise given more deference, I think the opposite has been shouted from the rooftops. But that part is, at worst, just the same, and probably won't get any worse. 

That being said, I think it was probably time for a change, whether these guys prove to be the right names or not. Harrison does appear to add something that the Mavs seem to need, in terms of relationship-ing. I don't know if his ability to entice players to Nike to make them a lot of money will translate to convincing them to come to Dallas to play for the Mavs. But at least he might be able to get some more guys to take their meetings. New skills, new relationships, new blood -- and it sounds like the team is being pretty realistic about the areas where his experience is lacking.

I have been a little surprised by how much has come out from so many sources on how difficult Carlisle was to deal with. Sounds like it really might have gotten to the point that a change of scenery was best for both him and the team. I find the Kidd hire puzzling on a number of levels. It seems like Cuban is just trying to re-assemble a cast of characters who were around in his high point as an owner, and hoping that they can reprise that magic, ten years later and in roles where they don't have experience/a track record. Hope that works out for him.  

But anyway, I fear I may be drifting negative more than I intended. Although I am not under any impression that the organization is making some of the fundamental changes that some think important, they are making additions, as well as subtractions, and they still have Luka. So that much is cool.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:15 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:23 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:30 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by DaRiv - 06-16-2021, 02:26 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by WillE - 06-16-2021, 02:56 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor - by mavsluvr - 06-25-2021, 09:57 PM