Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-19-2021, 11:53 AM)cjeter24 Wrote: I think this is kind of a dangerous attitude to have. The no one really scares me right now/we are fairly close. 

But if you don't have the mindset that we need to get significantly better, I think you have the wrong mindset. There is no way this team is close to competing with the typical quality of team that's winning nba championships.

I think it is more nuanced than that.  Does the new GM need to wield a scalpel or a hatchet?  There are issues with each approach.  It is certainly possible some new GM comes in wanting to make a mark immediately and makes all sorts of Detroit-esque moves.   Next thing you know you are paying big bucks to Charlie V. and Josh Smith.  

It is also possible to "love our boys in blue" so much that you create a narrative that we are really close.  I think we are really good.  I think the numbers back that up.  We aren't a MLE guy away from a championship by any means.  But, the right MLE guy this season might have gotten us to the WCF.  We probably need a couple of guys, but if they are the right guys and we don't give up too much, then the guys we have slot into more appropriate roles.  It isn't that Maxi, THJ, DFS, Brunson and Powell are trash.  It is that they aren't good enough in the roles we ask them to play.  Move them down two slots and now we are talking.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:15 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:23 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:30 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by DaRiv - 06-16-2021, 02:26 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by WillE - 06-16-2021, 02:56 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out | Forde's Sportsology to assist | Voulgaris likely out? - by DanSchwartzgan - 06-19-2021, 12:12 PM