Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
I am glad for a fresh start and I hope it is someone outside the organization.  Time will tell if it is better or if it winds up being worse. 

Donnie was a mixed bag for me.    He was brilliant at times and other times not.   Some of the things that bothered me about Donnie were minor.  Such as, the fun part of being a GM should be looking under every rock for hidden talent.   I don't want to say he was lazy, because that may be unfair.   We never got a lot of info who we would workout prior to the draft, but it certainly felt like we didn't take it as seriously as some teams do.   My thought process is no matter where we are picking, there is a really good player who is available who is hiding.   It is your job to find him.    I think that should be the fun part, not dealing with agents or the 100 of other things GM's do.   

Second, I never understood why we never put much focus into our G-League team.   Finding NBA talent that way is a long shot, but I always like teams like the Rockets would bring interesting players in and see if any pop.  If not, you move on.   It felt like we never really put any focus into our G League team.   Even when we were bad.    Especially when we were bad, I would have put more energy of getting a good G- League team and maybe you find one player throughout that process.   I believe Donnie owned the G-League team which made his indifference even more confusing.  

One more thing, the whole he wanted Giannis storyline always bothered me.  There are several layers of him saying Giannis could be the best player in the draft.  Was it an off the hand comment with little force behind it?   Was it a pound the table moment of him saying this guy may be the best player in the class and I will stake my reputation on it?   Could you have found a way to draft Giannis while also finding another way to save money for Cuban?   Like it or not, a GM answers to people higher than him.   But he needs to sell his vision to his higher ups.    There has been a few times where it looks like Donnie was not great selling his vision.   That is an important part of the job.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:15 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:23 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by cow - 06-16-2021, 02:30 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by DaRiv - 06-16-2021, 02:26 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM - by WillE - 06-16-2021, 02:56 PM
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson out as Mavs GM | Forde's Sportsology to assist search - by Chicagojk - 06-17-2021, 07:38 AM