Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM…
(06-16-2021, 07:04 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So as I read the first KP idea in this thread (was slightly busy yesterday so really hard to keep up with the pace of this thread and try to contribute), my mind went to…this is all a rouge to get pressure off of KP in the media. What better way to do that than a FO scandal?

Interesting way of thinking. I guess it is just too boring for us to accept that it might just be as Cato is saying and there is no agenda behind it Smile Caused a new run of thoughts in my head I am writing down. 

Thinking more about it, The Athletic made an extremely smart move to get maximum attention to Dallas troubles on a national level. First a piece focusing on (alleged) problem with Voulgaris that got everyone talking. Than a series of podcasts where the focus went from Voulgaris to - "Cuban, this is just no good enough. We are not accepting a usual excuse line if yet another failure follows. You are a failure if you not deliver". If he would start just with the second part, no one would really listen, usual whining. This way a big pressure was put on Cuban. Of course there is still plenty of time till trade season and free agency and people tend to forget quickly this days. 

I am wondering how this will affect perhaps crucial offseason. The "crucial" part of it has been blown up to epic proportion and I guess every team/player will blackmail Dallas as they know/think how desperate Dallas is. On the other hand players, especially win now guys, might look at Dallas and think to themselves - "this is not a serious franchise, I am not winning here". Especially if nothing changes. So another level of pressure for Cuban to show he is serious. Signing a guy like Ujiri would be a huge message to everyone, Dallas is serious. Of course guys like that don't come if they are not given free reign, which would require a lot from Cuban.

Cuban bought himself a great "toy" 20 years ago. If I would be him I would be "playing with my toy" *. "Screw you all, it costed me a lot and I will play my real life fantasy GM game and I couldn't care less what you think about me and how I do it." But if one cares about what others think about him, he could be in some dilemmas now. However, if one is convinced he is the smartest guy in the world, I guess you can write 1000 Cato pieces and it will change nothing for him. He is the smartest and there is always an excuse why failure was caused by some outside factor.

*By toy I mean the team, not some other toys men own and play with Smile
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM… - by omahen - 06-16-2021, 07:29 AM