Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM…
(06-15-2021, 02:50 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I think that's why it was necessary for Tim to spend the whole day podcasting that he didn't really mean to suggest that Luka was threatening to leave or trying to throw his weight around, that there was a rift between Bob and Rick, that Bob was the cancer that needs to be rooted out, etc. 

I think the piece would have stood on its own, with the apparently solid reporting that was done about the front office dysfunction, and didn't require the added sensationalism, which only served to confuse the issue, imho.

Let me push my narrative a bit more. The article was about Voulgaris - "No one likes him, Luka hates him, Cuban is just listening to him, he made all the bad choices, pushes lineups to the coach". Cuban jumps in defending his buddy with "this is bullshit". 

But when Cato goes on podcasts he significantly pushes back the Voulgaris narrative. All of a sudden Voulgaris is a needed attempt at FO change that went wrong. Rick and him actually go along ok and Rick agreed with some suggestions. Focus in podcasts becomes obvious lack of success from team building in last decade or so which FO is responsible for. Voulgaris is part of FO for a very short time.

So what can be Cubans exit? Since he jumped to defend his buddy it would look quite strange to fire him. But Cato gives him a nice compromise solution in podcasts - reduce his role a bit, he is actually a welcome change for the organisation. But since change is so obviously needed (according to the article), Cuban can either prove article is right and double down on MBT or show he is not the one to point a finger at but the one trying to make changes with the only real thing he can do - "promote" Donnie. So if Cuban cares about his image, what will he do?
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM… - by omahen - 06-15-2021, 03:30 PM