Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM…
(06-14-2021, 01:47 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It doesn't make sense. But Cuban is going all out on damage control.

I can't imagine any kind of different reaction, if the article is true or not. If not it is total bullshit, if true, there is no way Cuban will admit it is correct. It also has to be noted, that Cuban is always protecting the team - either KP, coach or Luka.

I have a general scepticism about any news piece, although I do agree that Cato looks like a stand up guy who probably wouldn't publish something like that without getting confirmation from several sources. 

There are several possibilities:
1. Info might be coming from third parties wanting to create a rift within Mavs. Based on how I think about Cato I find this unlikely.
2. So the alternative is info is coming from within. It may be either Luka camp (personally I doubt) or there is internal power struggle. If latter, guys behind it should really fear about their jobs as Cubes can very likely narrow down the potential sources pretty accurately. There is no way you can win a battle against the owner using media, unless you are Luka - he is the only untouchable one. And also - people who chose this kind of way to fight a battle should not be on the team. This is not good, no matter if the intention is good.

Several interesting things in the piece (not defending Vulgaris, but also don't want to just accept anything at face value without really carefully reading):
- Voulgaris is supposed to be the big analytics guy behind (for example) signing Wright who should start next to Luka. Sure Wright didn't work out, but he also didn't start next to Luka. Same as Moneyball - moves didn't work until coach put them into life. Voulgaris plan actually wasn't executed and one could claim he was "sabotaged". This bit also goes against supposed power Vulgaris had in defining rotations. If he would had such an overwhelming power, Wright would be starting next to Luka. So several contradicting statements just in this example.
- Wright is basically the only player failure credited solely to Vulgaris. All the rest of moves were made by Nelson (Voulgaris approved). So it doesn't seem like FO would go a very different way without him.
- draft picks are second obvious failure credited to Voulgaris. But one could argue we haven't really see nearly enough from them to gather an opinion. 

I am really looking forward how this will end. I would expect two ways:
- either everything stays quiet and goes away as total bullshit (perhaps Cuban and Voulgaris agree to part ways because Voulgaris has some greater goals in some other job) or
- Cuban cleans up the FO
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM… - by omahen - 06-14-2021, 02:22 PM