Poll: Grade the F.O.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
6.52%
3 6.52%
B
6.52%
3 6.52%
C
26.09%
12 26.09%
D
28.26%
13 28.26%
F
32.61%
15 32.61%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rate Donnie Nelson and Mark Cuban's job performance over the last 2 years
(06-05-2021, 06:42 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: To me, that's only relevant if that was the FO's plan too. If it wasn't, then what matters to you, doesn't matter. We have no sure-fire evidence either way, so evaluating each year on it's own merit makes the most sense in this instance. But I get that my logic isn't the same as others, so I'll give you yours!

I think it's pretty clear that this (coming) summer's free agent class (that was and has now died) played at least some part in their thinking. How much...you're right, we don't know. 

And, it's certainly not my opinion that having an all-star and possible MVP candidate on a ROOKIE CONTRACT is a rare and precious thing from the angle of team-building economics. That's an opportunity very, very few teams get in the NBA. 

All I'm saying is that I'm looking at that period of time like one entity. I'm ok with skipping some "meh" stuff to ATTEMPT to do something great while that limited window of time lasts. 

But I won't claim it a success if it isn't, when the dust clears. The only way they could possibly extend this kind of thinking is by turning KP into air (total salary dump) this summer, right before Luka starts making big money. But honestly, I don't expect that to happen, and that would require going backwards (letting THJ and Richardson walk for NOTHING, etc) and even if I became convinced it was the right thing to do (I'm not inclined that way at the moment) then I would STILL view these past few seasons as a failure, even as I started a new hope for the next process. 

The only way to claim these past 2 off-seasons weren't awful is if they somehow use the flexibility they've maintained (whether through intent or by accident, as I guess you claim) THIS SUMMER for a talent infusion the likes of which wouldn't be possible with some less than ideal money on their books. 

I'm not revising anything. This is what I've been writing for over a year here, and I have believed it every step of the way. I definitely admit that it's getting harder and harder to envision what big score might be possible.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rate Donnie Nelson and Mark Cuban's job performance over the last 2 years - by KillerLeft - 06-05-2021, 06:58 PM