Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 8.5 pt RAPTOR & 8.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
85.71%
6 85.71%
Kings
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 56: SAC (23-34) @ DAL (30-26) | 107-121 loss
(04-18-2021, 11:38 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I've been waffling back and forth with the idea that RC is just not the right coach for this team. He's been underperforming as a coach all season. The offense has sputtered. The defense has been so inconsistent. 

There are already cracks showing with Luka getting extremely frustrated at end of game choices. It's happened 3 times this year already where RC makes the wrong call and the Mavs lose at the buzzer, and Lula is standing at mid court swearing like a sailor. 

KP has voiced his frustrations with the coaching staff too this season. Saying he wants more minutes in the first to get a rhythm, more touches to feel involved, more movement on offense so he doesn't get shut out. 

It hasn't helped that once RC actually implemented the exact changes KP asked, he's looked 100x better. 

RC is a very good coach. His X's and O's are top tier. But it's evident to me that he's become a bit stale. The offense looks terrible. I hope he's saving some magical shit for the playoffs but I fear the Mavs may not even make it there at this rate.

If KP ends up getting traded, it would be pretty damning for Carlisle.  Even more so if KP goes to another team and flourishes, say GSW for example. We could write off the Rondo trade as a clash of personalities (guess who was a major component to the Lakers chip this year and seems to be turning around the Clippers this year?), but when two of the largest acquisitions in the last ten years don't work out?  

I think Carlisle is a great coach but I'd never want him on a rebuild or on a young roster.  He's far too finicky for the players he'll give minutes too in order to develop them.  And I do think he and the team have gotten a little too caught up in the analytics craze.  "The 2PT jumper is a bad shot" or whatever his line was.   Stats and analytics are great but you have to use your eyes too.

Lastly, I've noticed the Luka stuff too.  I think Carlisle made somewhat of a tactical error when he handed over the keys to Luka and showered him with otherworldly praise.  I'm not sure he knows how to reel Luka back in and our "Luka create everything on offense" has hurt the team offensively as a whole, especially when he's not in the game and especially with how the roster is constructed (one dimensional offensive player, a lot of whom you end up praying once they start dribbling the ball).

All that said, I don't expect Carlisle to be replaced, nor Donnie.  Or KP to be traded.  I fully expect that we'll chase a big name RFA and fail to land them.  It will be interesting to see what Cuban's excuse will be this time.  He recently said "they've never had cap space" to land big time free agents.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 56: SAC (22-34) @ DAL (30-25) | Apr 18, 6:30 pm | Mavs 8.5 pt & 8.0 pt favs - by cow - 04-19-2021, 12:03 AM