Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why can't Melli be the other half of our PF tandem
(04-02-2021, 10:56 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Well done sir.  

I really wish we had more data on the whole Trey Lyle thing.  Was Lyle the first choice of the Mav's?  If so, that doesn't speak highly of their opinion of Melli.  Or, did they want Melli all along and for some reason N.O. wasn't willing to do that version of the deal until the deal was falling apart.  Given Melli's poor play in NO, that doesn't seem likely unless there were other aspects to an earlier proposal that got scrapped at the last second.

Looking forward, I have a hard time seeing Dallas giving him a $4.8mm QO unless they KNOW they are operating over the cap. If he proves to be desirable, the BAE might not be enough.  His original contract averaged $4.0mm and the BAE is only $3.7mm.  So, what is the path to keeping him?

That’s a great question.  I would trust others more than myself on a question of salary, but I’m optimistic he will pan out to be a good role player and that the Mavs will be able to retain him at or below his current salary.

For this we need to get into the things we don’t want to talk about... his NEGATIVES!!!

1) He hasn’t shown the ability to create his own shot.  While he’s skilled as a ball handler and shooter, I haven’t seen evidence of a quick first step, or the ability to hit clutch shots with a hand in his face.  His drives come only as the defense gives him opportunity and his shots are mostly in the rhythm of the game.  We’ve mentioned how he sort of disappears during the game, I think he needs to be on a team where the ball moves a lot to tap into his full value as a scorer and a facilitator.  I think that’s why he has had so much brief success next to Luka.  Heck I could see him struggling with our second group who don’t do nearly as good of a job moving the ball on offense. 
2) He’s not exceptionally athletic.  He’s not jumping over people, out running people, or juking them out of their shoes.  He’s a big body who can move well but primarily is in the right place at the right time.  and I would argue he does a lot with what God has given him (on defense on Tatum).
3) He is already 30.  There’s not a lot of upside on his development.  He is what he is at this point.
4) He has a track record of poor performance with NO that any GM has to take more seriously than a few games of success in Dallas.

As great as I think Nico is and as excited as I am about him, I think he is a “low ceiling” “role player” who needs the right system for him to thrive.  I just happen to think this is the sort of system he needs and we are in desperate need of that sort of player. But because of the shortcomings above, I don’t expect him to be hard to retain.  These shortcomings make him a “not great” or “bad” fit for many organizations like he was for NO.

Put my vote in the $10M/3 yrs column
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why can't Melli be the other half of our PF tandem - by soog - 04-02-2021, 02:51 PM