Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Will Miss The Playoffs
They’re going to make the playoffs.

Luka will get into rhythm, eventually. Carlisle will figure out how to best use the talent available to him. KP will come back and contribute what he can for as long as he can.

But, I do think expectations for this team are too high. All off-season, I read about how, with Luka and KP in place, all the team needed was to surround them with defenders. I categorically reject this logic. I think the team is levels below that status. 

Josh Richardson was a step in the right direction, because he’s a two-way player. I think he’ll fit in well. But, THJ working well here last year offensively was HUGE, and drastically slept on. Powell’s early season contributions were similarly overlooked. The entire offense was built around him. Well, we’re currently seeing what the offense looks like with A) no KP, B) no Curry, C) Powell and Luka not working together (for whatever reason you think is causing that) and D) THJ trying to fill a void on offense by doing things for which he is ill-suited.

And, while we see signs at times that they’re more focused on defense, we’re also seeing that changing the RESULTS on that end is easier said than done. It’s going to take time. Multiple seasons, probably.

This team is what it is, imo. They have a toehold in the top 8 for the western conference (that’s saying something). I have faith that they’ll maintain and build on that, but it’s possible they’ll backslide and miss the playoffs (again, I don’t believe that will happen). Even in the best of possible outcomes for this season, however, I just don’t see how they are even in the same class as either LA team, BRK, Boston, Miami, etc. 

The Mavericks’ best player is 21. He is GREAT, but obviously still learning. The rest of the team is pretty young, too, and while I’m quite sure someone will chime in with “27 isn’t young”, what matters is NBA playoff experience. The reality is that overall, this team is a YOUNG team, trying to find their path.

Some of you should really consider trying to enjoy the ride instead of pulling your hair out at every bump in the road. There will be many, many more.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020-2021 Dallas Mavericks Will Miss The Playoffs - by KillerLeft - 12-26-2020, 01:20 PM