Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GameThread: The Preseason Trilogy: DAL (2-1) 127 vs. MIN (1-2) Boban 3pt Marksman
(12-18-2020, 08:24 AM)Mapka Wrote: So, why do you think it does so much harm letting him play some minutes.

Because I think playing him creates a big disadvantage. We saw in this last preseason game alone. The Mavs were down 56-59 with 3 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. Rick subs out Powell for Maxi, his only substitution, and the Mavs then go on  a run, ending the quarter 61-68. In that run, Maxi hit a 3, and blocked KAT twice, and just generally played stellar defense. 

(12-18-2020, 08:24 AM)Mapka Wrote: Will Rick let him singlehanded loose us games? Pretty sure not. 

I think historically Rick is a hardnose when it comes to lineups, even if they're not working. I don't think he cares if we lose games as long as he gets to see what Powell can do. I disagree with that line of thinking, but of course anyone can make a case for it. 

(12-18-2020, 08:24 AM)Mapka Wrote: Will it help to have a better recovered Powell. Pretty sure. 

Sure it'll help to have one of the most effective roll man's in the business. I just don't think Powell can ever return to that. I fooled myself into thinking Wesley Matthews can return to his old self for 2 years. Achilles injuries are terrible. I feel awful that Powell was struck by that. But I'm trying to be realistic and I don't think a guy who relied on his athleticism to play above the rim can return to his old self after an achilles injury. 

(12-18-2020, 08:24 AM)Mapka Wrote: Will it help WCS to make him earn his minutes? Who knows? 

I mean of course it would. Competition breeds excellence. Why should Powell be handed minutes if WCS can outperform him? Mind you, that's a big if. I'm not 100% sold on WCS either. I get that Powell is the vet, but he isn't Dirk. He shouldn't be handed something because he's been here a long time. (I am sold on Maxi however, but you used WCS.)

(12-18-2020, 08:24 AM)Mapka Wrote: KP is out and till he is back there is a void in the starting lineup so or so.
Exactly, and I think Carlisle is going to try and run a Powell+KP lineup again when KP does come back. And I think its going to be a disaster because 1. that lineup hurt KP's individual production. 2. Powell won't be the same player he was last year.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GameThread: The Preseason Trilogy: DAL (2-1) 127 vs. MIN (1-2) Boban 3pt Marksman - by SleepingHero - 12-18-2020, 01:42 PM