Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GameThread: The Preseason Trilogy: DAL (2-1) 127 vs. MIN (1-2) Boban 3pt Marksman
(12-18-2020, 01:46 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think the better way to frame this is to ask some questions so we can at least forecast our conclusions. 

One question is how long will it take for Powell to return to what he was, if he can even return at all? Because my main hang-up is that it'd probably take 2 months before Powell is back to his old self if he can even be his old self. KP took about a month and a bit before he was back to himself. So 2 months isn't outlandish for a worse injury. 

Another question is, is the drop off from the other roll man candidates (namely Maxi and WCS) so great from Powell that it's worth investing 2 months in a shortened season to bring Powell back to what he was? 

Finally, even if there is a drop off, do the more varied skillsets of Maxi/KP/Bobi/WCS more than makeup for it? Given that Maxi and KP stepped up in place of Powell and didn't miss a beat, I think we already have the answer to this one.

These are the questions I'm dealing with. I don't think the drop off is that big at all, and I'm highly suspect that Powell can return to what he ever was, which means we shouldn't be riding on his return. Further, even IF Powell can return, 2 months in a shortened season is far too big of a time investment for me to give the amount of runs Powell would need. We saw his defense against the Wolves tonight, he was eaten alive. Same story against the Bucks. And historically Powell has never been good in that area so I don't see why that would change, and if he isn't producing on offense then he's a massive liability.

Of course the Mavs aren't going to make a conclusion on Powell after 3 preseason games. Odds are they'll give him time. But I disagree with the decision.

So, why do you think it does so much harm letting him play some minutes.

Will Rick let him singlehanded loose us games? Pretty sure not. 

Will it help to have a better recovered Powell. Pretty sure. 

Will it help WCS to make him earn his minutes? Who knows? 

KP is out and till he is back there is a void in the starting lineup so or so.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GameThread: The Preseason Trilogy: DAL (2-1) 127 vs. MIN (1-2) Boban 3pt Marksman - by Mapka - 12-18-2020, 08:24 AM