Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GameThread: The Preseason Trilogy: DAL (2-1) 127 vs. MIN (1-2) Boban 3pt Marksman
(12-17-2020, 11:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: So, if you hated Powell's game when he was healthy then there is probably no point in this conversation.

"Hate" is a strong word. My dislike for Powell comes close but I don't think I hate him. I recognized his value as an elite roll man. He provided a verticality that the Mavs often needed. I wasn't blind to his strengths. I understood why he played even if I wasn't happy with it. However, I was one of many that did point out that his strengths aren't a rare skillset, but I digress.

Powell's biggest weaknesses were always defense, rebounding, and shooting. He doesn't really do any of that well. We all know this. I know Kamm can probably pull stats contradicting that statement, but just watching the game Powell is below average in all of those areas. I find at least 2 of those things, defense and rebounding, to be more important skills I want from a big man rather than just verticality. 

Now just going off these last 3 games, Powell's verticality aspect of his game isn't the same at all. He's had 1 or 2 plays here and there, but as a lob threat he just isn't that anymore, which was his 1 elite skill. Can he get better over the course of the season? I wouldn't rule it out. But I believe the upside of Powell returning to what he was versus the time investment that is needed for him to get back there isn't worth it. The fact that the Mavs have plenty of people day 1 that can be at least replacement level lob finishers AND bring other more valued skills on the roster also highlights more of a reason to not play him. And given the depth of the western conference, I'd rather not experiment on a gamble that has a high chance of not working out given the history of achilles injuries and athletic players. 

I like Powell as a person. He's a great dude. His lockerroom presence isn't taken for granted. But we're trying to build a basketball team, and Powell just isn't a very good basketball player. He was flawed before his injury, and now his injury has taken his weaknesses and just exacerbated them.

Can Powell become a solid spot minute guy that comes in randomly and switches the pace up ala 36 year old JJ Barea? I think that's his role from now on. But as a starter on a western conference playoff lock? I think that ship has sailed.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GameThread: The Preseason Trilogy: DAL (2-1) 127 vs. MIN (1-2) Boban 3pt Marksman - by SleepingHero - 12-18-2020, 01:07 AM