Poll: What is your initial desire (as it is today) for the future of DB.com boards?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Work with the Maven site and what they offer.
2.70%
1 2.70%
Have Fish redirect to this site from his main page.
43.24%
16 43.24%
Have a completely independent relationship from Fish.
45.95%
17 45.95%
Something outside the box.... (share in your post)
8.11%
3 8.11%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What should be the future of DB.com boards?
I think taking a scorched earth policy isn't the best approach. An Us vs. Them mentality devolves everyone into a tribalistic nature and really just burns bridges.

Fish made a move to a platform that doesn't provide the experience the majority of his community prefers. Instead of a traditional forum format, he decided to go with a Twitter like design that has bucked the trend everyone has been used to for the last 2 decades. Not trying to be flippant but that's just the facts. Magic stepped up and provided Fish with an alternative and made it clear that he wanted to keep the community together, and has gone above and beyond in trying to achieve that goal. Through this whole process Fish and his staff has been providing vague answers and an indication that he really doesn't 'get' what everyone dislikes about Maven. 

As of now, I am in the dark along with everyone outside of the few that have had conversations with Fish, and given recent posts on Maven (that have now been deleted) their staff has made it known that they're not really interested in trying to integrate this forum, and instead would rather make Maven feel "forum-like" but to me they're just trying to put a square peg in a round hole. 

At the end of the day, we are all Mav fans and we all like to talk basketball. And people are going to go to the place that provides the best experience to do that. I don't see how being tied to Fish is going to bring in new people, as new people are going to come to the place that has consistent conversations and a platform that's the easiest to use. Forums have been the most simple, effective, and reliable method to conduct conversations on the internet since its inception.

I guess in my entire ramble the take home message is that as long as we keep talking Mavs, new people are going to naturally come. If people (or you) like Fish's Maven format, then go post there as well as here! I don't see why one has to be limited to either/or. For me, the layout and design of Fish's new "Forum" if you want to call it that just doesn't work for me, and this forum provides everyone with features (polls,  that people have been begging for years. And because of that the majority of my attention will be focused here.

I for one am glad to see SO many people have signed up and gearing up for the most exciting season of Mavs basketball in the last 5 years. Im ready for the ride!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What should be the future of DB.com boards? - by SleepingHero - 09-22-2019, 04:35 PM