Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of center play in the NBA
(09-18-2020, 01:10 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 12:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: @"ItsGoTime" so you're telling me that Bill Russell could FACE THE BASKET, from 20 feet away, allowing him full view of the entire court, and that the defense would view him as a threat to shoot it or drive it from there, and that they couldn't sag off into the paint?

I can take your word for everything else, but I feel like if that were the case, he'd be remembered much differently as an offensive player.

Maybe not shoot but absolutely drive. Bill Russell would have a legit case for most athletic center of all time if it wasn´t for his rival Wilt. He was build like Giannis and ranked among the 10 best high jumpers in the entire world. Also was a world class sprinter. I don´t think any current player could match his PB. And that´s not even his biggest strength. He was a basketball savant. Be it as a defender or passer.
He also played in a different era with different rules, worse spacing, more physical contact and less analytics. Give him todays spacing and rules and he could probably do a lot more damage on offense.

I salute your salute to the great Bill Russell in this contextExclamation 

I add salute to Wilt as well in this same context, a player who many consider perhaps the best or one of the very best overall athletes in history.   This is why it's impossible to say what these former all time greats might do in today's games.  They are all time great.  They could change and morph their games to take advantage of the modern changes as much as they might lose some advantages. 

More Reasons Wilt Was the Greatest Athlete Ever
Quote:Wilt wasn't just a basketball player. There wasn't anything he couldn't do in sports.
Track and Field
At Overbrook High School in West Philadelphia, he was an avid track and field star: He high jumped 6 feet, 6 inches; ran the 440 yards in 49.0 seconds and the 880 yards in 1:58.3; propelled the shot put 53 feet, 4 inches; and broad jumped 22 feet.
In college at the University of Kansas, the 7'1" goliath ran a sub-11-second 100-yard dash and also threw the shot put 56 feet. Despite competing and excelling in both sprinting and throwing, these were not his best events. Chamberlain triple jumped more than 50 feet and successfully won the Big 8 Conference high jumping competition three years in a row
Volleyball
After his basketball career ended, Chamberlain played volleyball in the short-lived International Volleyball Association, was president of this organization, and is enshrined in the IVA Hall of Fame for his contributions. 
He beat the immortal NFL player, Jim Brown, in a race, when he played with the Harlem Globetrotters.
In addition to all these legendary tales, Wilt toured with the Harlem Globetrotters in 1959. He also played polo, tennis, paddle ball, and water skied.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The future of center play in the NBA - by Dahlsim - 09-18-2020, 06:25 PM