Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of center play in the NBA
(09-18-2020, 11:34 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 10:12 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: My point is, and maybe you just don't get it, he SHOULD be used and he would be VERY effective in the 'SPURTS' to use your word that he is most effective in. 

My argument is about what those spurts should be, could be and when consensus 'box thinkers' are NOT maximizing his skills and talent. 

Sigh.  Blush   Ok. You're saying some reasonable things, but in the very condescending manner that you're accusing me of, nevertheless. 
Quote:You're saying that down the stretch in a big game, you'd view that as a spurt where not only should Boban play more often, but that the offense should literally be run through him, and to support this you continuously point out that this strategy would virtually guarantee high percentage shots. 

Some of that true, but missing the bigger point entirely.  

1) Down the stretch of a big game is just a subset of the larger case. As you said you 'skim my stuff at best since it's "needlessly long" so its no wonder you fail to express it well.  
So let me try to summarize this better without being needlessly long.  

Sometimes, when you hit stretches of the games, runs, where your primary modern NBA offense isn't scoring like it you need it to, to hold on to a lead, you could leverage high % inside offensive talent to get high % scoring on the board and hold on to your lead. 

Quote:You're saying that this is even more desirable in situations where the Mavs have a lead. 

When you have a lead, the team that is behind has to do TWO things right?  They have to score but they also have to stop you from scoring.  Is that not correct?  If the time on the clock is in your favor then they have to both score AND stop you in a shorter amount of time.  That means your DEFENSE is less critical.  Get it? 
I don't think it requires a Mensa card to get that, and mine is expired anyway.  Tongue

It's about using him and smart spurts and by the way, pay attention please if you quote me, its not just POST offense.  PnR with Luka is deadly with Boban.  Boban rolling to rim with a smart guard is deadly. He also has a good mid range shot and a very solid free throw. He's also a very good passer, according to Greg Popovich and our own eyes if you pay attention. 

Quote:You also seem to suggest often that "analytics" are somehow to blame for coaches and fans not acknowledging this concept that only Mensa card carrying Dahlism can see from his vantage point, way, way out of the box.  

1) If you followed my posting history on this subject, which you don't because it's needlessly long and you just skim it at best, you would know that I've posted and linked to many other people's post about this topic for a long time, going back to the old forum.  Not just about Boban, but about the 5 position and its evolution.  Its a topic I find interesting for various reasons.  Other topics I read about but I don't need to post about everything nor do I want to take the time.  There are fine poster out here on a range of NBA topics (and others). 
So yes, I post about the topics I feel compelled to post about.  The rest I read, or as you say 'skim'. Is there a rule against that?  

2) I speculate about why Carlisle might do what he does, like anyone else.  Again, if you followed my post history, on the old forum and in this one you'll find that I'm far from the only one out there that question Rick Carlisle in this particular area. It really blew up with his comment about Post Play being dead but its much more than that.  Several of the centers that passed through Dallas had problems but they try to be good soldiers. 

Not long ago Javale McGee was a Maverick, passed through, had a few good games but got benched a lot no matter how he played. Poster out here assuming whatever Carlisle done had to be perfectly right, bashed McGee if anyone brought up his sporadic usage.  
He left Dallas and went on to win, and really contribute to not one NBA championship but TWO in Golden State.  Now he's contributing on Lebron's Lakers (Lebron wanted him) and in the running for a third ring. 

In Rick Carlisle's system he was a non-fitting piece.  

I already posted in my 1 advantage against the Clippers the Mavericks would squander prediction thread about the remarks made about using Boban by guys like Shaq and the Inside the NBA crew, coaches like Popovich and Stan Van Gundy.  I had a thread on the old forum which included Doc Rivers comments about the give and take of using Boban and how he thought he could often get more offense than he might lose on defense.  Some depends on IF the other team is hitting.  I don't if those people hold Mensa cards by the way. 

If you pay attention to the commentary during Mavs games numerous times even Derek Harper and other commentators have hinted at "why isn't this guy getting used more"?   If you listen to Boban's response when asked about his minutes he has strongly questioned but of course you can dismiss that because he wants to play.  

Point is, you're quite wrong, it's not just Dahlsim on the forum. I might go into more depth however it makes my posts needlessly long.  Wink  

I'd just say this about the defense. I wish he was more aggressive on defense at the rim, but many of the complaints about his defense are far exaggerated.  The Mavericks defense in fact was TURRIBLE in the playoff series without Boban and KP, who was stellar.  Boban's big body obstacle and rebounding helped and if it didn't he couldn't have registered the consistently high +/- in his limited minutes on the floor.  

As for my condescending tone KL, you should go back and follow our post history here.  You came back, I welcomed you.  I had hardly any basketball exchange with you.  
You decided to start throwing your 'flat earth' insult at me instead of engaging my points.  I didn't even respond.  That's childishness.  So yeah, eventually you might notice my responses are in like kind to your attitude toward me.  And yes, I like emoticons. They are supplied by the board itself right?  If there is an unspoken taste limit on their usage, well, its unspoken so ...  Cool
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The future of center play in the NBA - by Dahlsim - 09-18-2020, 04:27 PM