Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of center play in the NBA
(09-17-2020, 11:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 10:48 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: What do you do with Shaq today genius?

Well now we're getting somewhere! An intelligent thoughtful debate. 
I was starting to think it wasn't possible. Big Grin
Quote:Assuming he makes it to the NBA with the same game he had when he played, which I don't believe he would, since all players are being expected to develop a wider range of skills now, even at lower levels, I'd play him in spurts when I could, as long as he wasn't getting spread pick and rolled to death. When that starts, you really have no choice but to yank him. 

Wait a minute.  You're NOT saying that Hall of Fame, top 5-ish ever center Shaq wouldn't even make it to the NBA today are you?  Would Wilt Chamberlain make it?  Would Kareem make it?  

Lol, ok, I know you didn't say that exactly so let me put your statement back in context.  You're saying Shaq would have to change his game today.  I agree.  So yeah, we actually agree Mr. Round Earth. 
On the other your remarks were not as fair to me.  You took me out of context.  I've said that Shaq would NOT be as dominant the same way today so I didn't say or imply that he would have the 'same game' or be used the 'same way' today.  
My point is, and maybe you just don't get it, he SHOULD be used and he would be VERY effective in the 'SPURTS' to use your word that he is most effective in. 

My argument is about what those spurts should be, could be and when consensus 'box thinkers' are NOT maximizing his skills and talent. 

A high % near guaranteed 2 point shot that also has a strong chance of drawing a foul for example is a VERY effective tool when used in the right SPURT of the game. 
Let's say for example when you have a significant lead and time is running out in the game.  The other team has to not only score but they MUST stop your normally high powered offense from scoring too. (Sound Familiar?). 

Shaq could pretty much seal your win in that SPURT of the game, shooting 60% and higher from the paint and forcing a few fouls too, not mention securing rebounds.  
Do you have a problem with that reasoning? 

I'm saying that some 'brilliant' coaches are NOT doing this simple thing because they are so deeply entrenched in the modern game analytics (in the box) they can't utilize the old school talent in the right spurts. 

BTW just food for thought KL, at one time the Flat Earthers were the majority of 'scientific' thought, which meant the Round Earthers were the Flat Earthers of their day. 
That's if we use your sense of term and just tend to think the consensus of thought alone dictates that something must be right. 
Ok. carry on.  Wink

(09-18-2020, 12:04 AM)omahen Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 11:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: We'll see another player with that body, eventually, but I don't think he'll be nearly as limited as Shaq was.

Hello, my name is Zion Williamson Smile

Dodgy  While you guys pat each other on the forum back, let me just point out that it has nothing to do with the original point I raised.  Yes I thought of him too, but Zion is 'Shaq like', he's not Shaq. 

The question was what do you do with Shaq today, not can you use a 'Shaq like' but significantly different type player today.   Carry on.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The future of center play in the NBA - by Dahlsim - 09-18-2020, 10:12 AM