Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 127, Clippers 114
(08-21-2020, 05:07 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 12:04 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 07:36 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 06:53 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:  

This is why I (and others) have talked about the need for “a better version of Burke” in the starting lineup.  You can see how much more dynamic the team could be.  Last night was like watching two different teams.  The bench moves the ball.  Luka running point gets a bit boring to watch (Harden is unwatchable to me).  To me, a “better version of Burke” would allow the starters the chance to look more like the bench did last night.  That would overwhelm teams.

You're essentially talking about taking the ball out of Luka's hands, which would be the most cataclysmically disastrous decision the Mavs could conceivably make right now (short of trading Luka for a beer, of course).

Agreed.  That was a surprisingly bad take.  The team has no need to invest significant resources in offensive minded point guards. It needs guys with length who can defend and shoot. The offense goes through Luka. Every decision the Mavs make needs to build on that simple idea.

1. So, you guys either don't want Bradley Beal or Jrue Holiday or Oladipo, or you've never watched them play.  Wade took the ball out of Lebron's hands.  How did that work out.  Same with Irving.

2. A better version of Burke starting makes the attack more dynamic when both are on the court. It is hard to cover this team now.  Imagine how hard it would be if the offense could be initiated occasionally by a second player and Luka could be moved around.

3. A better version of Burke starting helps the team win the non-Luka minutes.

4. A better version of Burke starting helps in crunch time.  We need someone else who can create their own shot.  Without it, the offense is too predictable.  Force the ball out of Luka's hands and what do you have?

5. The current way this team does things will run Luka into the ground.  He needs some plays off the ball to keep him fresh for the end of games, the end of seasons and a longer career.  

The team already signaled they believe this to be a need.  Otherwise they wouldn't have pursued Walker like they did.  What are we expecting when we pine for a "third star".  Another big?  Is a Robert Covington type a "third star".  No, a shot creator who doesn't have to be the focal point of the offense and who can guard opposing PG's is what we need.  VanVleet would be fantastic here.  He's a playmaker and plays excellent perimeter D.  But, he also hits from outside and is excellent at off-ball movement.  That is what is meant by a better version of Burke.  And, we already know what it looks like for him to share the ball with another ball dominant guard.

Great post, Dan! I agree with all of it! I think the fact that we'd benefit from some wing upgrades blinds folks to the fact that their are other needs (I still want a big wing that can shoot). Folks can disagree on which upgrade is most important, but I think I've been convinced by Dan, (huh, just remembered that I was convinced of this before free agency last year too), that diversifying our end game strategy, reducing Luka's work load a bit and making our offense close to unstoppable with a Beal/Better than Burke beside Luka is priority one.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 127, Clippers 114 - by fifteenth - 08-21-2020, 10:59 AM