Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118
(08-18-2020, 11:16 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: It's also sort of unbelievable that 2 techs will get you tossed in a game anyway unless they are serious. Not all techs are created equal. KP fist pumping at no one was 1 and then other tech was him in a scrum that happens 100+ times during an NBA season. They should either make it 3 strikes or have some other sort of condition that causes an ejection besides any 2 techs. Complaining ab calls twice in a playoff game for example could "in theory" get you ejected which is just stupid.

@"mavsluvr" I get what you and others are saying that the refs are just "applying the rules given to them" but here's the problem, it's not consistent at all. Draymond Green can go completely nuts all game every game and while he does get technicals you could give him 3 times as many as he gets. There are these NBA scrums all the time. This was one of the most tame scrums I have ever seen and somehow it led to KP getting tossed in a freaking playoff game. Its just ridiculous. The refs have discretion which they use all the time and apply unevenly. If they were consistent we could just say well they are just calling the game the way they are trained to. Clearly they are not consistent at all. Both T's were terrible but I could forgive them for calling 1 "soft" T. Giving KP 2 is just unacceptable and it threw the game!

All that being said I am glad the Mavs team kept it together and didn't lose their cool like the Rockets did a couple of years ago. Fans should be going nuts right now and they are as well as other NBA ppl and NBA fans that don't even have a horse in this race. The Mavs can't do anything ab it except keep playing so I am glad they are trying to keep their head in the game.
Thanks for these observations, SBJ. 

I agree that this is a case of the refs spoiling a great playoff game. I agree that the refs aren't consistent. I am not defending the officials. 

However, consistently with the above, I think there actually is something the Mavs can do about it. Both of the actions KP was called for were squarely within the literal definition of fouls. As such, the player should only take them if there is a corresponding benefit to the risk. Take the first T. KP gained nothing for the team by punching the air. He should get in the habit of expressing his disgust in a way that is not an automatic foul.

Similarly, nothing was to be gained from letting Morris bait him into a shoving match when he already had a T.  KP admitted after the game that he didn't think about the fact that he was already carrying a tech when he entered the scrum. Players with one tech need to have it in their heads not to risk getting another one unless it's worth getting ejected over. Although Porzingis' goal of "protecting" Luka may have been laudable, he actually ended up making things way worse than if he had let Luka handle it, or perhaps left the retaliation to less essential teammates.

Players on contending teams need to develop the habit of responding wisely to officiating. If they don't, they will forever be at the mercy of punks like Morris, who will provoke them into reaction fouls every time if they can. 

I'm not sure we even disagree. My point is that the Mavs can't just stop at complaining about the situation (although they should do that). They should also take this opportunity for the whole team (not just KP) to develop habits and attitudes that will avoid self-destructing over bad calls and dirty players. It's the smart thing to do.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118 - by mavsluvr - 08-18-2020, 12:16 PM