Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
COVID-19: Scrimmage games | July 23 (NBATV), 26 (NBATV), 28 (FSSW) for DAL
(07-22-2020, 03:01 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I can't wait to see what this looks like. I hope the social justice stuff doesn't ruin it for me.

Looks like scrimmages already going on NBA TV.

So watching this Clippers game the court looks pretty cool but I wish they would pipe in some crowd noise. The BLM writing to me is sort of obnoxious. I guess they haven't unveiled the social message jerseys just yet. We will see what those look like. I saw a soccer game with piped in crowd noise and it just has a better feel to me. You could make the crowd noise favor the home-team essentially.

Social Justice as general concept should be something most reasonable people can agree on.  Defining what that is however is another thing. 

If taken at face value for the words themselves, black lives matter, drawing attention to the issue of racial discrimination especially given the racial composition of the NBA, makes some compelling sense. 

On the other hand, if taken as a complete endorsement of an organization by that name and by implication all the organization stands for, then yes, it goes well beyond sports as an entertainment industry for all people now crossing into both politics and religious values. 

https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/  - BLM the organization goes beyond black lives into sexual identity politics and beliefs about gender roles and the goals for family structures in society.  

Quote:We make space for transgender brothers and sisters to participate and lead.
We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.
We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered.

We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.
We foster a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking, or rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual (unless s/he or they disclose otherwise).
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: COVID-19: NBA season is suspended - by sefant - 03-11-2020, 10:45 PM
RE: COVID-19: NBA season is suspended - by DrMav - 03-11-2020, 09:03 PM
RE: COVID-19: NBA season is suspended - by MrGoat - 03-11-2020, 10:50 PM
RE: COVID-19: Scrimmage games | July 23 (NBATV), 26 (NBATV), 28 (FSSW) for DAL - by Dahlsim - 07-22-2020, 05:02 PM