Poll: Who gets the Dirkie? (vote AFTER the game)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Luka
84.62%
33 84.62%
KP
5.13%
2 5.13%
Delon
0%
0 0%
Jalen
2.56%
1 2.56%
Maxi
0%
0 0%
Boban
2.56%
1 2.56%
Seth
0%
0 0%
DP
0%
0 0%
THJ
2.56%
1 2.56%
Justin
2.56%
1 2.56%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1: WAS @ DAL | 108-100 win | Dirkie: Luka
(10-24-2019, 01:40 PM)fifteenth Wrote: if you're talking 3rd best (all around) player or 3rd most important player, I think Delon is in that race with Brunson

I guess the "no 3" I'm talking about is who's that third core guy, who will start & end games, in a consistent role, with starter minutes. For me, "starter minutes" means 30+ every night but I realize with the depth on this team the number may actually be 28-30 minutes. 

I could see Brunson, Wright, DFS, Jackson or maybe Powell being that guy. 

The case for Brunson: After last night I think Brunson will get essentially all the backup PG minutes behind Doncic and they'll likely share the floor at times as well. Maybe crunch time. Assuming Doncic is a 32-34 minute guy that leaves 14 minutes for Brunson while Doncic sits, plus call it the last 3-5 minutes of the half and game. By this math, Brunson will be capped around 24 minutes. 

The case for Wright: He's basically your starting Guard next to Doncic. Curry will get 18-20 minutes and if Brunson is your closer next to Doncic, Wright will be capped around 24 minutes as well. 

There's just no more minutes unless Carlisle wants to run Doncic with two other guards on the floor (essentially moving Doncic to SF). So if Doncic plays SF for 2-3 minutes per half that opens those minutes for one or some combo of Brunson / Wright / Curry. 

The case for DFS / Jackson to get to 30 mpg is a bit easier as one or both will likely start and be your backup small-ball 4. But it's tough to make the math work with THJ as your scorer off the bench.

Powell might have the easiest route to 28 minutes, with Kleber and Porzingis backing him up. But I still see Powell as an elite backup who is being forced into a starter role. 

All together, it's clear there's a minutes logjam and outside of Doncic & Porzingis, NO ONE could average 28 minutes unless someone forces their way onto the court. 

I think Wright has the talent to do so. 
I think Brunson has the skill to do so. 
Jackson may have both but not the heart
Powell has the heart but neither the skill nor the talent.

My bet is Wright will eventually be the guy.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 1: WAS @ DAL, Oct 23, 7:30 pm (108-100 win) - by vfromlmf - 10-24-2019, 02:36 PM