Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 104, Suns 133
(01-29-2020, 11:02 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Do we need to fully blow the team up to get better results? Maybe maybe not, I just don't think there is so much upside to the team we currently have constructed, and no, I don't think it is possible that this team is a group of title contenders, no matter how long we give them. I can't budge from that thought, but I can allow for others to believe it, just will never understand them.
An interesting question to ponder.

It is possible that the Mavs are trying to follow a Spurs-style roster-construction formula, using one superstar, a couple of very good players, and a system in which the other players come in and out and learn to play defined roles very well. I don't think they are, but it's too early to rule it out altogether. 

I don't think the Mavs view anyone on the roster outside of Luka and KP (for now) as untouchable. I think they're pretty realistic about what they have and don't have. I do imagine that it is likely that they will "blow up" this team over time, as they find opportunities to upgrade. In three seasons, the roster probably looks quite different. Some different players, and maybe a handful of current supporting players who have earned their spots by getting substantially better. 

The front office is not under the impression that this group as a finished product, and they will use the normal avenues to improve. That said, I don't think they are about to shop a dozen players before the deadline and hold a fire sale. Nor do I think they should. They're not in a desperate situation. 

Agree that the team as it exists today is not a likely contender, and that we're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we hold the squad to that level of expectation this season. I actually think that's okay at this point in their cycle. They're a fun, overachieving young team already (last night excepted). Rome wasn't built in a day. But it became a great city. 

That is not to say I agree with every decision management makes. Like you, I also recognize that some fans have different views than mine on the subject, and I am not on a mission to convert them or anything. 

Wink
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 104, Suns 133 - by mavsluvr - 01-29-2020, 02:00 PM