Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Willie Cauley-Stein to DAL | UTA 2nd to GSW
(01-25-2020, 04:13 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 03:26 AM)radioaktiv Wrote: I don't think it's been mentioned yet, apologies if I just hadn't seen: an underrated aspect of this trade is that GSW gave away a rotational player for basically nothing, further committing to their tank campaign and more importantly for us, further strengthening that GSW 2nd round pick.

Mavs need to prep this draft hard. Currently Tankathon has only two PGs/Cs projected between 11 and 34. That means the Mavs have two picks from a pool of 22 players in a position of need. The odds are definitely in our favour, as long as we do our homework properly.

I doubt we have the GS pick in 2 weeks fwiw. And if we do, I'd suspect the Mavs look to package the 2 picks together to move up or use for another piece in a trade. Brunson, Pick 20-25, Pick 31 is pretty solid trade package for someone. 

I don't care if we use them or trade them as long as they bring at least 2 good NBA players back. And ones that are 36 years old.

(01-25-2020, 10:31 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Not sure why we need any detailed analysis.  We needed a big in the worst way. I was ready for a DLeague player.  To get WCS cheap is a coup regardless of his shortcomings.

Yeah simply and well said. WCS is a legit NBA rotational big and we got him for basically free. It's a coup. 
I actually was texting my buddy about 10 minutes after the injury during the game about possible replacements. I told him Mavs should call GS because just trading WCS for nothing would net them a solid tax savings, and he's likely declining the PO next year anyways. 

I thought someone might come in with a better pick so it was a pleasant surprise when we made the move. Perhaps a better pick would have been sent if the Mavs waited longer until the deadline.

One last thing on WCS...

He clearly has dealt with a lack of motivation, etc during his career. 
Rumors are that he's wanted to play in Dallas. And now he's playing in a scheme that fits his skillset. He'll get plenty of action rim rolling and see more consistency in how he is used and likely in playing time. At least compared to Sacramento. 

And then he'll also be winning for the first time in his career. 

The recipe is there for him to buy in and be motivated. He still may not... But their's exciting potential if so which is why he's been mentioned so often around here for years.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Willey Cauley-Stein to DAL - by omahen - 01-24-2020, 06:17 PM
RE: TRADE: Willey Cauley-Stein to DAL - by cow - 01-24-2020, 06:37 PM
RE: TRADE: Willey Cauley-Stein to DAL - by cow - 01-24-2020, 06:45 PM
RE: TRADE: Willie Cauley-Stein to DAL - by Jym - 01-24-2020, 06:21 PM
RE: TRADE: Willie Cauley-Stein to DAL | UTA 2nd to GSW - by cjeter24 - 01-25-2020, 11:29 AM